BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil Leak Stop products

1933 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  4thBMW
I have a 2003 BMW 745i with a Oil leak problem. I am going to a car show soon and I heard about products called “Oil Leak Stop” and I was wondering if it would work for a small amount of time because the engine randomly smokes and I won’t want that happening at the show. So is there any suggestions on which ones and if it would harm my car. Thank you!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
How does “Oil Stop Leak” know what is a leak and what is not a leak - like a small passage through VANOS? Smoking is not due to leaking.
  • Love
Reactions: tiger4787
Yeah so I brought it in to the shop, and they said it was a gasket leak and the drops would hit the hot metal of the car and start to steam. They said it would be better to just get a new engine. And for how the products know it’s a leak, “The NO LEAK Engine Oil Stop Leak is designed to remedy engine leaks caused by dried, shrunken, or hardened rear main seals. The product works by expanding and softening the rubber in the seal to restore it to its original flexible shape.”
How does “Oil Stop Leak” know what is a leak and what is not a leak - like a small passage through VANOS? Smoking is not due to leaking.
Reactions: MattEcho
I have had similar leaks before but unfortunately when those leaks are from the gaskets especially top covers on both banks, just go ahead and replace the gaskets but all oil stop leaks i tried using (wanting to be lazy and quick fix) did not work. The oil stop leak seals i spent on were more expensive than the gaskets i replaced. Getting rid of your engine as a solution is a ripoff but if you can afford it, then goodluck.
Yeah so I brought it in to the shop, and they said it was a gasket leak and the drops would hit the hot metal of the car and start to steam. They said it would be better to just get a new engine. And for how the products know it’s a leak, “The NO LEAK Engine Oil Stop Leak is designed to remedy engine leaks caused by dried, shrunken, or hardened rear main seals. The product works by expanding and softening the rubber in the seal to restore it to its original flexible shape.”
Valve Cover Gaskets or Alternator Housing Gasket. read my other posts for more info. Valve Gaskets give way and start to leak, the Alternator housing gasket lower gasket next to alternator connected to an engine mount gives way. Take it to your Euro shop to check on a lift and tell them this could be it.
I just changed out my alternator water gasket. interesting how it's designed to slide down into the cover groove If you scrape out all of the old hard gasket). I did use some Bar's Leak (hose sweller) on my P.S. system untill I get into changing out the old hoses in/out of the cooler. They leak at the metal crimp fittings as the hose drys, shrinks. let you know if it stops the dripping after 2-300 mi. Lol. Don't use that stuff anywhere else.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts