BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
No dipstick in the petrol models. My 2012 50i reported 'minimum' oil level on a long drive this past weekend (low end of the sensor display). After a bit of searching for the right flavor with no luck at several Oklahoma gas stations, I found some decent Castrol synthetic 5w30 at a Walmart and discovered that the sensor scale requires exactly one quart to go from min to max.

I get my first BMW 12 month service done tomorrow. Personally, I would have ignored the sensor and waited for the freebie, but better half insisted that I don't ignore her 'baby'.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
My 2010 had this issue- level perfect on dipstick, reads high on electronic sensor==> oil sensor bad. Fixed under warranty

A

· Registered
363 Posts
At around 35k miles, I had multiple issues with oil level reading high. Even after replacing oil sensor, something in addition had to be done to complete fix. At one point, I requested to actually be there while we drained and measured the oil (service manager developed quite an attitude towards this)..this coupled with the fact that, later in the process, the service manager accused me of driving the loaner at speeds >100 mph. Definitely, not my favorite dealer experience.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Had oil changed in January, 5,000 miles ago. I checked the level yesterday with electronic level and it said "Oil too high" Checked with dip stick and it over the word MAX on the dipstick. Took it to the dealer and they are telling me it is a little high but there must be a sensor problem. Can't look at until the 18th with a loner and I am driving to Canada tomorrow. I think I am going to drain some oil out via the dipstick with a siphon and get the level correct on the dipstick and see if the iDrive agrees. I am surprised the iDrive doesn't display a waring message for too high without going into the acutal reading. It sends an error when too low. I wonder if this has been over filled since January. Dire warnings in manual about engine damage from oil too high.

· Registered
784 Posts
Had oil changed in January, 5,000 miles ago. I checked the level yesterday with electronic level and it said "Oil too high" Checked with dip stick and it over the word MAX on the dipstick. Took it to the dealer and they are telling me it is a little high but there must be a sensor problem. Can't look at until the 18th with a loner and I am driving to Canada tomorrow. I think I am going to drain some oil out via the dipstick with a siphon and get the level correct on the dipstick and see if the iDrive agrees. I am surprised the iDrive doesn't display a waring message for too high without going into the acutal reading. It sends an error when too low. I wonder if this has been over filled since January. Dire warnings in manual about engine damage from oil too high.
I had the same issue but it was immediately after an oil change, since your oil change was 5000 miles ago, I would be concerned with fuel dilution raising the oil level ( diesel in the oil ) When was the last time you checked the oil, was it over the max then ?

· Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to get this checked out ASAP. The dealers stock these sensors. My car was in and out within like 2 hours.

Upside is that I got a free oil change out of it too :bigpimp:

· Registered
1,358 Posts
Here was my experience with the "Oil Too High": http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669174&highlight=dde

One day I just decided to check the oil level via iDrive and got the warning. Pretty stupid that it doesn't display a warning message.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
I am not sure how long it has been too high. Don't know if I checked it since I got the oil change. The dealer did look at it yesterday and said the high oil level was not an issue and they would look at the sensor on the 18th.

I get so used to it telling me what is wrong I don't check it as often as I should.

· Registered
1,530 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Fuel dilution (and the resultant high oil level) is a very real condition that can occur in any engine and in particular diesel engines....if the oil level is actually high, take it in immediately since excessive engine wear may be occuring. Fuel of any kind is not an adequate lubrication.

· Registered
13 Posts
2012 X5 35d Engine Oil Level Too High

X5 had regular service in January 2016. Service due warning continued to show after this time. Did not take any action on this as we assumed service department failed to reset it. Finally called them first week in April and scheduled an appointment this past Monday to check this and correct a factory recall. Service department explained away the service due light as being related to "a check that was done in January but the sensor light was not on at the time and therefore not reset". The vehicle sat in the driveway from Monday afternoon to Friday. After a short drive Friday the "Engine Oil Level Too High" warning came on. We immediately called the service department and drove straight there. The service representative came out to tell us there was too much oil in the car. He said this in such a manner it implied that we had somehow added oil to the car. We told him they were the only ones to touch it. After taking close to a quart of oil out of the car the warning is still on. Timing on this is suspect as they just had it in the service bay and makes us wonder if they added oil to it by mistake. In any case, taking oil out did not fix the problem and now they tell us the diagnostic test to check the sensor is close to $150 and the work to replace if bad will be close to $400. Comments on here sound like the sensor is prone to go bad. Has anyone actually found too much oil in their diesel and if so, is there a chance the sensor will reset? Also does anyone know if the total quantity of oil required is less in a diesel than in a gasoline X5?

· Registered
230 Posts
The diesel holds 7.5 qts....I would immediately change the oil and monitor the oil level closely......rising oil levels is fuel and/or coolant. Coolant will cause a milkshake consistency whereas a drop of engine oil dropped on a white paper towel will disclose fuel (dark center from drop is oil and the halo around the dark spot is fuel/fuel-dilution.

· Registered
582 Posts
If the tech is handed 8 qts for the service that is what probably went in even though it holds a bit less. If you get the oil level too high warning and then correct the level - either you must drive it at a steady engine speed for about 15 minutes or have the dealer can perform a long term measurement with ISTA so the 'new' level is recognized. I'd just drive it and reck.

· Registered
13 Posts
Engine oil too high

Thank you for your responses. We drove the car today in hopes the oil sensor would reset. We will monitor the oil level with the dipstick. We are scheduled to take the car back to the service department on Wednesday so they can run diagnostic tests. Will update thus post as we go along. We do have an extended warranty so hopefully any costs will be covered.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
You never clarified....

was the oil level too high based on the dipstick???????????

When they took out a quart, what did the dipstick show? Seems od they would drain a quart, say it is still to high, but never set the level to the proper evel

The sensor fails and reads high (or low). Once they fail they stay failed.

if you are not under warranty, find a good indy. Who i your dealer?

· Registered
13 Posts
Reply to Ard

We were only a few miles from the dealership when the warning light went off. We drove directly there and it is our assumption they checked the volume of oil by using the dipstick. They took out 3/4 of a quart and then said the sensor would not reset. They made an appointment to determine if the sensor is bad or if the need to reload the software. We use the Asheville, NC dealership.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.