BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

oil level mystery

1397 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  mrjoed2
My car behaved just as expected - slowly consumed some oil until it got to about 4000 miles and needed a quart / litre. Showed full afterwards.

As expected it continued to slowly consume oil - a few weeks ago the level showed exactly mid-point between full and minimum when it got to about 6000 miles. All as expected.

Then suddenly, without any oil added - it shows completely full again. Checked twice. Any ideas?

R
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Dunno - some kind of Aussie Oil gnome?
How did you break in your engine?
Interesting. I'm just over the 5000 mi mark, and I'm sure I'm going to get the "add oil" warning soon - got a quart sitting around waiting for the prompt.

I think the Aussie oil gnomes sound promising. ;)
Modestly, a few nice long runs, etc.

The issue here is not the consumption as such - well within spec.

The issue is that it showed half-full, and then suddenly full, without adding oil.

I also today noticed that it takes a long time to do the measurement. I think there is an issue with the measurement.

R
How did you break in your engine?
The anxiety of not having a dip stick in the engine.
Modestly, a few nice long runs, etc.

The issue here is not the consumption as such - well within spec.

The issue is that it showed half-full, and then suddenly full, without adding oil.

I also today noticed that it takes a long time to do the measurement. I think there is an issue with the measurement.

R
As suddenly as the oil level went up to show full, it went back to show one notch above minimum, without any intervention from me.

A day or two later, it gave me the notice to add oil, as I expected.

I can't explain the unusual change from just above minimum, to full, back to minimum without any oil addition.

Anyway, I will add the oil it has now asked for, and see if it chills out.

R
Still don't understand why car makers have done away with dipsticks - simple, cheap foolproof method to check the most critical fluid/service issue with a engine. What would happen if the electronic system failed or malfunctioned - and oil is critical? Seized engine anyone??
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.