BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months I've thought that the coolant level sonsor was coming on for 10 seconds or so after starting the car.
Wrong!! Just re-looked at the manual and it's the yellow oil level light that keeps coming on every startup.

Question: Is it "normal" for these sensors to have a life of only 50K miles or so?

I remember that replacing it was about my first diy on the car. At about 40K miles.
Now I'm at 92K miles and looks like I have to replace it again.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
For several months I've thought that the coolant level sonsor was coming on for 10 seconds or so after starting the car.
Wrong!! Just re-looked at the manual and it's the yellow oil level light that keeps coming on every startup.

Question: Is it "normal" for these sensors to have a life of only 50K miles or so?

I remember that replacing it was about my first diy on the car. At about 40K miles.
Now I'm at 92K miles and looks like I have to replace it again.
Have you checked the oil level? I have heard of some of them being SUPER sensitive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it's been about 2K since the last change and it's just a touch over the full level.
Like probably 4 ounces over.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Yup, it's been about 2K since the last change and it's just a touch over the full level.
Like probably 4 ounces over.
Did you buy an OEM sensor? Only guess I have is that maybe non-OEM sensors can fail sooner like the non-OEM CPS sensors do? :dunno:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be. I got the replacement from AutohausAZ.
Then again, there was only about 40 to 45K on the original when it failed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts