Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, quick question and hoping you guys will have an answer for me.

I am diagnosing my fathers z4 that we commute with a couple days a week. The check engine light is on and the two active errors are thermal oil level sensor, and, ambient temp sensor. I'm pretty sure both of them are faulty so I'm not doubting the codes... BUT I was wondering if the oil level sensor is something that would actually illuminate the CEL if faulty? I know I should replace them anyway, which I will.. But before addressing those, I want to make sure that the sensor is the culprit to the CEL since the Z4 is due for smog in January..

Thought?

TIA

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I just want to know if it's normal for a CEL to turn on for a silly oil level sensor? If so, I already threw the part in the Shopping cart on FCP Euro..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi, could be a random event that triggered the CEL. if you are certain the oil level is correct you can clear the codes and see which code(s) come back.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, could be a random event that triggered the CEL. if you are certain the oil level is correct you can clear the codes and see which code(s) come back.
Yeah, each time I clear the codes it comes back.. Looks like the engine is running lean as well, so it looks like there is a vacuum leak, or... (see below)
If the oil sensor light came on equalling the code (really the pic of the oil can) then change it...see,

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13172113
Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll be making an order soon now to replace that level sensor.

I used the BMW scanner software to run the codes and I get the attached errors. These are the ones I posted about. But there are also a lot of shadow codes that include bank 1 and 2 lean codes. I just looked under the hood of the z4 today and noticed the vacuum hose connected to the brake booster seems choked and wonder if anyone experienced this problem? I would assume that this is the cause of the lean codes, but it's never that simple, right?? :rofl:

What could cause that vacuum hose to be under "suction" like that?

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
The brake booster system should hold vacuum after you shut down the car, so it sounds like the system is ok but the booster hose is collapsed and may need to be replaced.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I made the order through FCP Euro last night for the Oil Level Sensor, Ambient Air Temp Sensor, the Brake Booster hose, and an Oil Filter for a fresh oil change. Hopefully that'll get rid of all the codes and get this puppy on it's way to get smogged :thumbup:

·
BeeemerBro
3,447 Posts
I hope this is the end but usually it is not...how many miles did you say? Most likely you've got to smoke test the thing but do report back with this preliminary results.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I changed the above mentioned parts over the weekend, and everything went in nicely other than the temperature sensor, the wires were ripped up and had no more connection to plug into the sensor. So I cleared the codes hoping that I resolved all major issues that'll cause a CEL, but the stupid temperature sensor error is the only error I see and the CEL came back on.. Is that stupid sensor REALLY illuminating the CEL? I find this ridiculous.. The temp sensor is out on my e39 525i and no check engine light..

Is there something I'm missing here?

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: repaired wires for the temp sensor and reset the codes. Codes are gone and CEL did not turn back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts