Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten into the manual yet, but thought I'd post a quick one here. Occasionally, my oil light comes on *after* I shut the engine off. I've seen it come on(on other cars) while the engine is running, or have it stay on after the engine is started, but I've never seen one come on after the engine was shut off. Any idea's? Mine is a '01 3.0 and I've got only about 6,800 miles on it. It's due for service on Thursday, but I thought I'd post a question here in case anyone knew what could cause this. Oh, I've checked the oil levels and it's right in between the two marks, so if I read that right, it means it's fine?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind!

It pays to read the manual.....

Engine oil level light comes on while driving means oil level is at the absolute minimum and to refill as soon as possible.

Engine oil level light comes on AFTER engine has been shut off means "add engine oil at your earliest opportunity(when you stop to refuel)"

Looks like I'll double check the levels when I get home, and do it by the book this time. According to the manual, this says I'm low, but possibly not dangerously low.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Nice feature . . .

to give us a head's up to add oil so hopefully you don't get into the situation of having it on while you're running.

You gotta love these cars :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Never mind!

bk3104 said:
It pays to read the manual.....

Engine oil level light comes on while driving means oil level is at the absolute minimum and to refill as soon as possible.

Engine oil level light comes on AFTER engine has been shut off means "add engine oil at your earliest opportunity(when you stop to refuel)"

Looks like I'll double check the levels when I get home, and do it by the book this time. According to the manual, this says I'm low, but possibly not dangerously low.
I do...well, once I read the manual I do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts