Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 530xi (E60)
Every month or so the I get an alert of low oil, please add a quart of oil. However after the car sits for a while and upon restart (3 min) the oil level is up to upper level yet after driving about 10 miles the alert shows up again.

Changed the oil sensor about 1 1/2 years ago, issue went away for about 6 months but reappear - BMW parts BMW certified mechanic cost a lot of $ for nothing ; the oil sensor was not the issue. (BTW, this was what the dealer recommended :thumbdwn:

Adding oil is not a problem but considering there is no dipstick I am afraid of overfilling.
Of course I've ben cautious and add oil just a bit of at a time and I can probably "learn to leave with it" I suspect that something is faulty and I'd rather fix it

My dilemma is that although I've taken the car to several mechanics including the dealer, the diagnostics varied from one to another, only cost of repair about $1000 was a constant and of course the diagnostic cost.

Truth be told although is a significant cost I'd be OK paying the money if I can only be sure that what is replaced is the correct part and I'm not charged silly money for something simple that does not warrant this cost (been there already) especially considering that thus far no one had been able to accurately diagnose this problem.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks.
V.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What's your driving habit? Short trips around town without getting the engine to full operating temp will allow for condensation to foul up the oil level sensor.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
What's your oil change interval? Have you ever measured how much comes out of the engine and compared that to what it takes to fill the engine? What oil are you using? The chemistry of the additive package affects how the sensor behaves.

·
Registered
995 Posts
2006 530xi (E60)
Every month or so the I get an alert of low oil, please add a quart of oil. However after the car sits for a while and upon restart (3 min) the oil level is up to upper level yet after driving about 10 miles the alert shows up again.

Changed the oil sensor about 1 1/2 years ago, issue went away for about 6 months but reappear - BMW parts BMW certified mechanic cost a lot of $ for nothing ; the oil sensor was not the issue. (BTW, this was what the dealer recommended :thumbdwn:

Adding oil is not a problem but considering there is no dipstick I am afraid of overfilling.
Of course I've ben cautious and add oil just a bit of at a time and I can probably "learn to leave with it" I suspect that something is faulty and I'd rather fix it

My dilemma is that although I've taken the car to several mechanics including the dealer, the diagnostics varied from one to another, only cost of repair about $1000 was a constant and of course the diagnostic cost.

Truth be told although is a significant cost I'd be OK paying the money if I can only be sure that what is replaced is the correct part and I'm not charged silly money for something simple that does not warrant this cost (been there already) especially considering that thus far no one had been able to accurately diagnose this problem.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks.
V.
Personally, I would get a car with a dip stick. I have one! N62 engine. Not sure what kind of idiot took the dip stick out of the BMW engine design but he should be beat with a dip stick!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Personally, I would get a car with a dip stick. I have one! N62 engine. Not sure what kind of idiot took the dip stick out of the BMW engine design but he should be beat with a dip stick!
Couldn't agree more , don't understand WHY they would do such a stupid thing .. I hate not being able to see and look at the oil , drives me nuts during a oil change on the X3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I have owned my 2006 E60 I have experienced the same thing - over the years I have learned to just top it off when alarm is asking for more oil - don’t ignore it- I have seen that the car actually burns some oil and monthly oil is needed -
I believe that moisture is the culprit for sensor alarms - run car for about 1 hour and then open engine cover and moisture will dissipate and at that point you will see that actual amount of oil via sensor display in car

Don’t spend money on this - I have learned to live with it - at first, it was nerve recking but now I know how to just top off engine oil

Not having a dip stick is stupid-

Hope this helps -

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not having a dip stick is stupid-

I agree, and am grateful to have one of the last models with one, as well as the last NA V8. One reason I am attached to this particular model E60 (with the N62TU). As the years and miles mount I’m eyeing the last ones made (2010 550i), but they seem hard to come by.

Back on topic, I had this glitch once and freaked out thinking I might have had the ABG failure or some other catastrophic leak. Added oil before thinking to check the dipstick. Then discovered it was overfilled and had to drain some.

OakTone
2006 E60 550i Sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive about 8K a year about 2/3 city drive. I change the oil once a year. Only once the dealer had measured the level when the level showed low (but not alerted yet) they said I was [email protected] 6qt.
I haven't measured how much oil was actually in the car when alerted to add a qt. but looks like a "to do" in order to see how much oil is actually left.
Not heaving a dipstick is silly I agree but the BMW as well as others figured they can save a buck to two and get us for more $ when something goes wrong.
Thanks,
V.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Old argument concerning the dipstick. Dipsticks aren't foolproof. Case in point - my son's E46 is supposed to take 7 quarts, dipstick shows full at 6. BMW went with the electronic sensor because most people were too lazy to check the dipstick. And frankly, in the event of a sudden loss of oil, I'd like to be warned ASAP.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,224 Posts
I have a 2006 530xi. Never had to add oil between yearly changes and never had a message about the oil level.

The car takes 6.9 quarts with filter change.

First thing I'd do is wait for a low message, take a photo of the iDrive oil level and the drain the oil and measure it. Figure 0.4 quart held up in the filter. It should measure 6.5 quarts. If it is lower, does it agree with the iDrive display?

When I change the oil and filter, I put in 6.9 quarts and don't pay attention to the iDrive oil level.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I drive about 8K a year about 2/3 city drive. I change the oil once a year. Only once the dealer had measured the level when the level showed low (but not alerted yet) they said I was [email protected] 6qt.
I haven't measured how much oil was actually in the car when alerted to add a qt. but looks like a "to do" in order to see how much oil is actually left........
V.
Assuming the sensor is working properly, the difference between the top level and the bottom is 1 litre. Next time you do an oil change with filter, put in 5.5 litres and check and see what the iDrive shows.

Personally, I drive around 40000 km per year. I do my changes at 10000 km increments. If I'm lead footed, I have to add a litre around the 7500 km mark. My engine has 355000 km on it and has always consumed a bit of oil, especially since the majority of my driving is highway.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
My E46 M3 (dipstick and oil level sensor), toward the end at around 100k miles) would give a low oil warning when it was only a half-liter below MAX. False alarms seem to come on with age of the car.

I now electronically measure my oil level right before an oil change, and physically measure the volume of the oil I drain out. It was right at "MIN" when I changed the oil last in my F10 535i. The NewTIS manual says that the difference between MIN and MAX is about 1.3 liters. But, when I saw MIN it was really only about 850mil below MAX.

Somebody said that BMW is gradually bringing dipsticks back. They brought non-RFT's and spare tires back (as options) on most current BMW's (except the 2 Series, Z4, and M-cars). So, they occasionally undo bad decisions. I'd pay extra for a dipstick. I'd also pay extra for harder seat cushions. My F10's seats are much harder and more comfortable than a G30's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a very good '03 X5 with the 3.0 engine. In my view BMW's have quirky electronics. Some years ago, a couple weeks after an oil service and out in the middle of nowhere I get an oil alert message. Fortunately, my Bimmer has a dipstick. Level was up and the oil passed the smell test. Turned on the ignition, no more message. Without a dipstick I would have been frantic. A few years back began looking for a replacement X5...saw no dipstick and wrote to BMW NA executives to tell them I'd never buy a BMW without one.
BMW took a simple,valuable diagnostic tool away from owners. BMW needs to join the 21st century.
J Casey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts