Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum, I have a 2004 E83 with 87k. I am second owner. Car has been maintained very well, I replaced spark plugs and coils with hi perf plugs and coils about 300 miles ago. Old plugs were in good shape no oil. Car ran fantastic after upgrade. I was at a stop light idling and the car starting running extremely rough, service engine soon light went on. Checked today got oil on threads and appears to be in the well,. Any thoughts? valve cover gasket, O-rings, valve guides???????

·
Registered
362 Posts
oil there is a sure sign of a VC leak. When you change the VC, theres gaskets that run around each of the plugs. One could have failed or is failing. The running rough could now be a vacuum leak where the gasket failed. CEL? Get a reader and see if its the codes for vacuum leak (P0074????). Search valve cover vacuum leak on this site and you will get some awesome "how to" and advice. You cant just replace the gaskets around the plugs, you have to take the valve cover off and do the whole thing. I got my cover and gaskets (if I remember right) under $300 . took me awhile to do it but Im only a weekend warrior . Theres others around here that could get that job done in 2 hours or probably less. At 87k, there is nothing wrong with putting in new gaskets anyway. Yaaaa, rough idle that goes away once you put in some throttle is probably vacuum leak around that gasket. Also, WELCOME to this awesome forum David. There are super helpfull very smart dudes here that have saved me thousands of bucks on DIY stuff with this x-3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey 44cents. thank you for all info. thank you for the welcome as well. yea, this is a great site. so you replaced the vIce cover as well. I can get a complete BMW valve cover set for about 130. do you think I should calisthenics cover as well?

·
Registered
362 Posts
meant to say valve cover
Im not sure what the calisthenics cover is? The vanity cover??? If so, I wouldnt unless its cracked or ugly. Get a valve cover with the bolts and gaskets ( should be the main gasket, 3 for the plugs and one for the eccentric valve motor). I may be over simplifying but the one I got worked great and had those 3 gaskets included. If you are tight on cash you can reuse the VC itself and just get the gaskets....but when I researched and shopped, might as well get the cover too because it has that PCV diapham in it that will be new and that stinking thing goes out in everyones x-3. not only that, taking the time to clean it all down and reuse the old cover was to me alot of work and more cans of parts cleaner. The gasket kits alone get over like $50 so I say do it all. If you decide to do it, get the PCV hose the runs off the cover just incase you break the one thats on their. I boughtt one and of course, didnt break it so I have a new one sitting here as wall art for now.

Before any of this though, get a cheapie scanner (got my basic generic OBD scanner for $13 amazon) and see what your engine is telling you. Get the P codes off and see whats up. Verify its a vacuum leak. I know you will need a much more advanced reader but for just getting humpty dumpty back together again, this is good for basic diagnosis. If you trust driving it, take it somewhere like AZ or AA and they will read it for free and you can research the codes. With symptoms like you have it could be a DISA valve or something else and that would suck nuts to buy all the VC stuff and that not be it. Might want to make a home made smoker and check for leaks that way real quick too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get valve cover gasket, spark plug orings, and valve cover bolt grommets.

You don't need genuine BMW either. Many are original manufacturer's just half the price.

Also you don't need to spend $45 on the BMW washers in the kit below either so you can save on that. Scroll to the bottom of the link and just select everything but the washers, just reuse your.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-valve-cover-gasket-kit-11120030496kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts