BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Nope. The oil pan is below the engine, but above the subframe. The transmission is behind that, under the floor between the front seats... in the hump.

Why? Do you need to get to the oil pan? It's a beotch if it needs work, lots of labor cuz the whole subframe needs to be dropped to access it. I had some work done on mine last year and it was about 6 hours of labor.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. The oil pan is below the engine, but above the subframe. The transmission is behind that, under the floor between the front seats... in the hump.

Why? Do you need to get to the oil pan? It's a beotch if it needs work, lots of labor cuz the whole subframe needs to be dropped to access it. I had some work done on mine last year and it was about 6 hours of labor.
jvr826, :confused: Yes Indeed! I know, I purchased one a while back from a salvage yard. I planned to do it a few weeks back until I looked underneath the car!

I think I need to replace it bc it looks like there is oil seeping from where the oil pan connects/attaches to the engine. :eek: I thought that the oil pan was connected to the transmission bc it looks like there is moist oil around the area.

I checked the oil level and it appears that it's good. I guess I just have a seeping oil pan. :tsk:

·
Registered
2 Posts
jvr826, :confused: Yes Indeed! I know, I purchased one a while back from a salvage yard. I planned to do it a few weeks back until I looked underneath the car!

I think I need to replace it bc it looks like there is oil seeping from where the oil pan connects/attaches to the engine. :eek: I thought that the oil pan was connected to the transmission bc it looks like there is moist oil around the area.

I checked the oil level and it appears that it's good. I guess I just have a seeping oil pan. :tsk:
just make sure its the oil pan leaking.....the leak could be from up higher(like the back side of the valve cover could be leaking and running down, gravity is a b**ch).....hate to see ya replace the oil pan and/or gasket and come to find out that wasn't the main cause.....word of advise would be to clean the engine(as carefully as possible, not with a power washer, remember if oil is leaking out water could leak in if its under pressure) and then drive for 500 miles or so and then recheck to see where the leak is coming from.....

good luck

·
Registered
546 Posts
With the oil pan above the sub-frame brace any seeping/dripping oil could easily get to the tranny area before dropping to the ground. And actually the sub frame brace isn't that hard to remove. 8 bolts. Just make sure she's solidly on jackstands or good ramps. You might need a swivel joint adapter for the socket as the rear bolts are at an angle.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the great advice! I'm going to try to clean it the best that I can first like you stated and try to pin point exactly where the leak is coming from!

Is this something to be worried about? Oil level seems great, and the car runs great! :eeps:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Thanks guys for the great advice! I'm going to try to clean it the best that I can first like you stated and try to pin point exactly where the leak is coming from!

Is this something to be worried about? Oil level seems great, and the car runs great! :eeps:
Maybe you can clean the area with parts cleaner. I forget which is safe for rubber parts, clorinated or non-clorinated, but you want the one that is safe for rubber parts. It's basically brake parts cleaner, same stuff, and removes grime nicely.

Leaks like that probably aren't a big problem, but they're messy and bad for the environment. If it's not leaving a spot on the ground, it's probably OK. You may want to remove the belly cover and be sure it's not pooling in there and masking a bigger problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you can clean the area with parts cleaner. I forget which is safe for rubber parts, clorinated or non-clorinated, but you want the one that is safe for rubber parts. It's basically brake parts cleaner, same stuff, and removes grime nicely.

Leaks like that probably aren't a big problem, but they're messy and bad for the environment. If it's not leaving a spot on the ground, it's probably OK. You may want to remove the belly cover and be sure it's not pooling in there and masking a bigger problem.
Thanks a bunch!! No it's not doing that!! It's not leaking enough to leave a spot on the ground, just enough to look moist and gross!! :angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts