BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals - Looking for opinions before pointing fingers at the dealership. The local dealership had a free summer safety inspection coupon along with a $79 oil change so I brought it in since it was due for an oil change. When I picked it up they said my oil pan gasket was leaking and should be replaced. Since I have a RT 66 warranty it was all good, a couple bucks for a big job. I dropped it off on Wednesday and picked it up today. I didn't think to give it a detailed inspection or anything and just walked to my car with one of the workers and hopped right in. When I got home I just glanced at the car and saw my front passenger wheel was shiny, and upon further inspection oil was all over the wheel. A couple hours later I went to look again, and it appears as if I have a leak from the oil pan gasket, although I am not 100% sure. Thoughts from the forum...pics should be attached.

- 2010 535ixdrive 76k miles

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,572 Posts
They probably messed it up. And, my guess would be it didn't need it in the first place. This is why they offer "free" stuff...so they can tell you what you need.

Get the undershield off and get under the car with a light and an inspection mirror. You should be able to see what's what.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They probably messed it up. And, my guess would be it didn't need it in the first place. This is why they offer "free" stuff...so they can tell you what you need.

Get the undershield off and get under the car with a light and an inspection mirror. You should be able to see what's what.
or save yourself the trouble and take it back to the dealer and have them rectify the problem.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,572 Posts
Well...I agree take it back and make them fix it...but, I always like to know what's what, when possible. Thus, the inspection. Then they can't BS you when you take it back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since the leak is affecting the wheel; I would recommend towing back to the dealer. You don't want to damage the brakes; not to mention if the leak is actually brake fluid. You should be able to determine that, but I would very cautious with an oil leak of that magnitude.

Good luck! Let us know what they do for you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm heading to the dealer in 20 minutes. Over the weekend I got a bunch of error codes, specifically: 29CF, 29EO, 2FCA, 2FDA, 2FDB, 0303 and 2DC5.

My thoughts are they screwed up the oil change last week and now Cyl 3 is full of oil, along with that they dropped so much oil during this oil pan gasket change that an O2 sensor or other electrical parts have been compromised which made the other codes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Never again to a dealership - Just got a call from the SA who said that my brake line was punctured...hmm, my one year old ECS Tuning stainless steel brake lines were punctured but apparently not by them. It must have been punctured on my 6 mile trip back from the dealership. In addition, they said they only pulled a cyl 3 misfire code and no other codes were present. Thankfully I took pictures of my code reader so I captured all the codes. I am at loss here since the dealership will not do anything else except they said it could be a spark plug, or a coil, or maybe a carbon cleaning. Unfortunately I had all of that done about one year ago.

Stay away from BMW Bridgeport!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just came back from the dealership and apparently a mystery gremlin slightly disconnected my brake line, hence the fluid spraying. They have no answer for the Cyl 3 mifire...and now to the bigger issue. When we looked at the car my headlight is now f'd up and full of water. Thankfully the dealership takes pictures before taking in your car...low and behold, a clean headlight when I dropped it off and what in the world did they do to it now???

This is BMW Bridgeport

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,572 Posts
Someone really f'ed up the car doing the original work. Something happened. Have you seen the leaking brake line? They don't just leak. Maybe it dropped off the lift? Who knows, but something happened.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They messed something up and refused to even clean the wheels, clear the error codes and address the headlight. They basically told me to go F-off. I emailed the GM of the dealership stating what happened to see if he would like to discuss the chain of occurrences. If that goes nowhere then in CT we have the ability to e-file small claims so a lawyer is not really needed. So that is my next step if the GM doesn't do whats right. I already scheduled an appointment at a reputable Indy in my area to see if he can figure this out. I also ordered new brake lines as there is no way I am risking that, something broke and they jimmy-rigged it back together.

If anyone has ever has issues and pressed a dealer like this please let me know what steps you may have taken, or steps you wished you had taken but didn't. Any prior experiences are more than welcomed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you don't mind making a scene you should go back with evidence and speak directly with the manager. Make sure they know you are upset.
My guess is that they want to blame the aftermarket parts and claim they did nothing. Really, if it was leaking before you took it in they would have noticed, assuming they are even somewhat competent.
Good luck!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you don't mind making a scene you should go back with evidence and speak directly with the manager. Make sure they know you are upset.
My guess is that they want to blame the aftermarket parts and claim they did nothing. Really, if it was leaking before you took it in they would have noticed, assuming they are even somewhat competent.
Good luck!
I'm not one for making scenes but everyone from the receptionist to the service manager heard my complaints and viewed the picture evidence. They wouldn't even clean my wheel that is now stained with brake fluid.

I have evidence, the dealership takes pictures (one previously posted) each time they take-in a car for service. So the dealer took photos on August 29th, September 7th and September 12th, all pictures show a perfect condition headlight. The headlight is not aftermarket. They still were saying they didn't do it, and then the service manager takes the offensive and asks me how they could have done it, and then baits me into a two year old kid screaming match, of which I avoided. I sent a detailed email to the GM last night so we shall see what happens, trying to take the high road before getting into the weeds and taking legal action.

Regardless, they had my car all day on August 29th, then for 60 straight hours between September 7th and the 9th, and they sent me home on the 9th with the brake line leaking and error codes galore.

Drop it off on the 11th, more photos were taken and all was good. Rental car agencies have a policy of taking pictures and walking the Renter around the vehicle to confirm any damage and the likes. If the Renter were to return a car with a headlight in the condition I posted above who do you think would be responsible, the Company renting the car out, or the person renting the car?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts