BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW dealer replaced oil pan gasket $3,845. and front rotors & pads $1,230, new battery $591.
was I ripped off or are these charges reasonable

33 year BMW loyalist.
This is our 4th BMW: 1. 1978-320i, 1988-535i, 2003-X5 E53, 2012-X5 E70.
The ultimate driving machine has become the ultimate repair BMW dealership annuity.

Extremely dissatisfied w/BMW superior handling focus to tech gadgetry.

2012 X5-E70
1. 19k miles a coil section actually dropped off onto our garage floor[defect/warranty],
2. 41k miles the drive shaft was replaced under a recall[defect/recall],
3. 41k miles the tata air bags were replaced under a recall[defect/recall],
4. 49k miles the transfer case failed[defect],
*dealer shared 50% of repair
5. 79k miles the coolant/water pump failed[defect/recall], and
*NO recall notice from BMW or dealer
6. 79k miles oil pan gasket replacement[consumable part]

Where has BMW ultimate driving machine FOCUS & QUALITY gone!

·
Registered
990 Posts
New battery charge is in line with others I have seen when done by dealers. You can easily buy and replace your own battery for @ $200. Brake charge is high but similar to what dealers charge. But replacing the oil pan gasket? That charge is nuts and must involve other services.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$3,845. was the oil pan gasket replacement charge
New battery charge is in line with others I have seen when done by dealers. You can easily buy and replace your own battery for @ $200. Brake charge is high but similar to what dealers charge. But replacing the oil pan gasket? That charge is nuts and must involve other services.

Good Morning

Your vehicle does need a new water pump and thermostat. There is an extension of warranty that will cover those two items that does apply to you.

Your vehicle needs a new battery, Low voltage faults and battery discharged $591.10 (this and the water pump/thermostat is why the check engine light is on)

Oil change is needed. I can sign you up for the $199.00 special which will cover your oil changes for the next three years.

The Oil cap came apart on the inside. We need to replace the oil cap for you $86.00

Front brake pads and rotors are needed as well $1230.45

The oil is leaking from the oil pan gasket and oil filter. (filter will be replaced with the oil change) oil pan gasket would be $3845.92

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,084 Posts
First you authorized the work at the estimated cost and are here now complaining about the decision?

There are TWELVE engines available on the E70 platform. I am sure that one of them requires lifting the engine for clearance to work on the pan gasket.

$3800 is only 19 hours labor at $200/hour - not unheard of.

Here one is … (for the shoulder surfers, this procedure is in a new format)

BMW E70 X5 4.8i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 11 Engine / 11 13 Oil sump /
11 13 010 Removing and installing/replacing oil sump top section (N62/N62TU)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$3,845. was the oil pan gasket replacement charge

Good Morning

Your vehicle does need a new water pump and thermostat. There is an extension of warranty that will cover those two items that does apply to you.

Your vehicle needs a new battery, Low voltage faults and battery discharged $591.10 (this and the water pump/thermostat is why the check engine light is on)

Oil change is needed. I can sign you up for the $199.00 special which will cover your oil changes for the next three years.

The Oil cap came apart on the inside. We need to replace the oil cap for you $86.00

Front brake pads and rotors are needed as well $1230.45

The oil is leaking from the oil pan gasket and oil filter. (filter will be replaced with the oil change) oil pan gasket would be $3845.92
extremely upset by $3,845. charge........:-((((((
First you authorized the work at the estimated cost and are here now complaining about the decision?

There are TWELVE engines available on the E70 platform. I am sure that one of them requires lifting the engine for clearance to work on the pan gasket.

BMW E70 X5 4.8i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 11 Engine / 11 13 Oil sump /

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,084 Posts
I had a hen pheasant fly into my right HID headlight assembly. The R&R was $4300.

My SA has quit trying to up sell me on a preemptive brake job. “When CBS requires a brake job only.”

Reactions: HotGrbg

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
BMW dealer replaced oil pan gasket $3,845. and front rotors & pads $1,230, new battery $591.
was I ripped off or are these charges reasonable

33 year BMW loyalist.
This is our 4th BMW: 1. 1978-320i, 1988-535i, 2003-X5 E53, 2012-X5 E70.
The ultimate driving machine has become the ultimate repair BMW dealership annuity.

Extremely dissatisfied w/BMW superior handling focus to tech gadgetry.

2012 X5-E70
1. 19k miles a coil section actually dropped off onto our garage floor[defect/warranty],
2. 41k miles the drive shaft was replaced under a recall[defect/recall],
3. 41k miles the tata air bags were replaced under a recall[defect/recall],
4. 49k miles the transfer case failed[defect],
*dealer shared 50% of repair
5. 79k miles the coolant/water pump failed[defect/recall], and
*NO recall notice from BMW or dealer
6. 79k miles oil pan gasket replacement[consumable part]

Where has BMW ultimate driving machine FOCUS & QUALITY gone!
I just replaced the oil pan gasket - it was $2,000 at an indi - including oil level sensor seal and replacing the motor mounts as you have to remove the subframe and lift the engine to replace the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At the dealership, this seems reasonable. There is a ton of labor required to access that gasket. Basically the engine needs to be supported, the front subframe removed, and then a bunch of other random bits in there to finally gain access to the oil pan. Also, you have an AWD car, so the differential/axles all need to be removed for this. I think that is a standard charge for a dealership, but yes expensive.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,346 Posts
It depends on what part of the country. If your in NY or Cali I’d say it’s probably on par. If your in BFE Iowa then maybe it’s high.
They probably quoted you the whole oil pan as E70 drain plugs notoriously strip out and the gaskets leak. Normally the gasket job is around 2500 around me but if you need a pan it’s another grand.
Basically your driving a luxury car that cost what 70k new? 3500 is a mere 5% of the vehicles cost. Maybe a Honda or Toyota would be cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had a hen pheasant fly into my right HID headlight assembly. The R&R was $4300.

My SA has quit trying to up sell me on a preemptive brake job. “When CBS requires a brake job only.”
At least that's covered by insurance, unless you don't have comp. I'd just keep filling the crankcase with oil before paying $3800 for a gasket, unless it's leaking really bad. $3800 is about 600 bottles of oil. Just put some rags on the guard to soak it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts