BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question for everyone .... I read a lot of previous threads that when it looks like an oil pan leak its most of the time the oil filter housing gasket .... How many here have ACTUALLY had an oil pan leak?

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Is this an academic question, or are you looking for diagnostic assistance?

If the latter, thoroughly clean the engine top to bottom, and periodically observe the oil buildup. You s/b able to detect the source.

Since the subframe must be removed to remove the I6 pan, we've not heard much about leaks.

BTW, at least one poster removed, or at least dropped the pan, w/o removing the subframe.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had a pretty reputable BMW shop say I needed an oil pan gasket. No more leaks after installing new oil housing gasket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is impossible to tell if the leak has been happening for a while: everything is covered with oil and the clean up is not so easy.

Odds are it is OFH gasket, since it is so much more common for them to fail.

However, it is possible that the oil pan gasket also needs to be replaced. I replaced mine without dropping the sub-frame and with only one cut in the gasket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
99 percent of the leaks that APPEAR to be an oil pan are from the oil filter housing.

or, let me put it this way. ive repairs several hundred oil filter housings.. ive replaced exactly one oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Me. :hi:

I replaced my oil filter housing gasket twice. The first time it was actually leaking. The second time, I found out that it wasn't leaking at all, and it was actually the oil pan gasket. Around 179k miles, I replaced the oil pan gasket by making one cut in it. I have a few pieces of cardboard under my car from the front of the engine back to around the B pillar, and left off the bottom engine cover. No leaks 11k miles later.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so I think its safe to say OFH leaks are the more denominator! I have leak and my mechanic tells me its the oil pan ... hopefully (crossing my fingers) its just the OFH! Its been leaking since I got it and I've put about 10k miles on it

·
Registered
477 Posts
OFH gaskets are more likely to fail much sooner than an oil pan gasket.

I usually inspect by driving the car up ramps, removing the bottom cover, then use a small flashlight and try to find the area under the OFH and see if it's oily.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Change Your OFH

Your best bet is to change the OFH gasket. I did mine this weekend. I had a fairly heavy leak with 74k on the car. When I took the OFH off it looked like this at the block

The old gasket was flat, hard and brittle it came apart when I pried it out of the housing

The new gasket installed.

Over all it's an easy job the hardest part was getting the belt back on. Cleaning up the block so it would not continue to drip for a week was a PITA but no more drips :thumbup:

This gasket looks like it is made from the same material as the VANOS O-ring. I can see having to do this again in another 60K miles:mad:. Anyone know if there is a better gasket being made? The material Beisans uses for the VANOS seals would be better I'm guessing.

Chisum

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Its very easy to find out.
Clean everything off with parts cleaner, put few OZ of oil dye into engine, let it run for few minutes. Get black light and yellow safety glasses and see where the leak is coming from.
Profit?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, upon further inspection I have found that I have an OFH leak! Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
One additional possibility that doesn't get much mention (maybe because it's rare?) is the short vanos oil line with the banjo bolt-style connections. These lines can "sweat" oil from their metal crimped ends and drench the same area that the OFH is often blamed for.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
One additional possibility that doesn't get much mention (maybe because it's rare?) is the short vanos oil line with the banjo bolt-style connections. These lines can "sweat" oil from their metal crimped ends and drench the same area that the OFH is often blamed for.
+1!
My oil vanos line is leaking as well, and plan on replacing it when replacing the oil filter housing gasket, and the power steering reservoir and hoses.
I bought new crush washers and banjo bolt for the new oil vanos line.

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
What's the best thing to use to get rid of all the sludge on the engine block and housing...?

Thanks!
Jason
I've successfully used this in the past, brushed it with a long handle nylong brush, and washed it off with really hot water (I connected a hose to the water heater turned up high.) But I 've done it with everything reassembled and sealed up. I don't recommend it on the block with the OFH removed. Either that or seal the opening really well.

I have used it on the OFH though, I was careful and made sure I throroughly dried it and used my air compressor to blow as much water out as I can.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What's the best thing to use to get rid of all the sludge on the engine block and housing...?

Thanks!
Jason
I used brake cleaner.

Its actually not rare at all. It could be Vanos line, although its pretty hard to mix vanos line leak and OFH gasket leak, because Vanos line is visible and easy to tell if leaking.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts