BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

Changing oil on my 2009 328i and noticed that with the WIX filter came a new replacement copper ring/washer, I guesss it is for the washer which goes on the plug. Thing is, it is not the same size. It is same thickness but narrower width. It is about 1.5mm and original (yes, its the original washer) is about say, 3mm wide, and looks still good. Would you keep the original wider washer?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It is ok if it is narrower. It will still seal better than already "crushed" (or reshaped) old one.
I have done both ways and never had problems but if you have to use old one you may need to use slightly higher torque (in case of leak) to make sure you have good seal and higher torque is danger thing to do - stripping the thread is not what you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is ok if it is narrower. It will still seal better than already "crushed" (or reshaped) old one.
I have done both ways and never had problems but if you have to use old one you may need to use slightly higher torque (in case of leak) to make sure you have good seal and higher torque is danger thing to do - stripping the thread is not what you want.
thanks, good to know, porando. will use the new one. know the torque on that bolt/plug, by chance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts