BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had changed my oil on my X3 bmw 2013 28i. I put in about 5.7 Qts and drove until warm. After checking iDrive Oil reading it showed as right below "Max". I then research on this forum and found out it takes close to 7 qts. So i added another quart which made it around 6.7~ or less not more. The following day, I check idrive and it showed it as half and today It show as minimum. No warning low oil unless i do a system "measuring" test. Please help! I m in San Diego, NO temperature change or anything

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I asked my dealer how much oil is required he told me 5.1 qts, perhaps he was quoting imperial qts? US quarts would be around 6qts. It is all very confusing. Second, when the oil indicator on my car started to show minimum levels it turned out to be a faulty oil sensor component...check with your dealer and see what he says. By the way oil changes are free while under warranty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder if the Jag F-Pace will have an analog dipstick, the kind one withdraws from the crankcase tube, wipes with a fine piece of linen, reinserts in the crankcase tube, withdraws, peruses and decides if the car needs oil added based on accurate, analog information.
We'll see.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had changed my oil on my X3 bmw 2013 28i. I put in about 5.7 Qts and drove until warm. After checking iDrive Oil reading it showed as right below "Max". I then research on this forum and found out it takes close to 7 qts. So i added another quart which made it around 6.7~ or less not more. The following day, I check idrive and it showed it as half and today It show as minimum. No warning low oil unless i do a system "measuring" test. Please help! I m in San Diego, NO temperature change or anything
I take it you have the N20 engine in your 28i?
If so, 7 qts is too much. I think you had it right the first time.

AFAIK, the N20 should take 6.1 qts or 5.7 liters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my engine just warned me i need 1 quart while drying. I just added 1 quart which equals to the total of 7.4 quarts since i changed my oil 280 miles ago. It still show as minimum after i checked. Wondering if any of you have any input or suggestion whether i should drain and refill 6.2 quarts .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So my engine just warned me i need 1 quart while drying. I just added 1 quart which equals to the total of 7.4 quarts since i changed my oil 280 miles ago. It still show as minimum after i checked. Wondering if any of you have any input or suggestion whether i should drain and refill 6.2 quarts .
If you've put in 7.4 quarts, unless there is a lot of blue smoke coming out of your tailpipe, then you're over-filled. You know what to do. And you also know that your sensor is probably faulty. Which likely means a visit to the dealer or an indy.

I miss my dipstick...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i think definitely overfilled. My sensor reading just dropped below minimum to showing red now which i think i overfilled the **** out of the scale for the sensor to read correctly. I will try to get at least 1.5 qts out and reread

·
Anti-Hack
5,113 Posts
Drop a quart out, no big deal. How do you know a quart? Put a funnel into a quart bottle and replace the drain plug when the bottle is filled. Regardless of what the sensor says, you physically know what's in the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped 1.4 quarts and now reading at "Max" level. Thanks guys. Therefore, I think from a normal oil change, X3 2013 needs about 6.3 quarts from the total i have taken and put in

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how this could have happened. One guess is: when it was overfilled, the crankshaft started to whip the oil and it become foamy, hence the wrong reading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts