BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have been a lurker on this site for some time, but this is my first post. I have a 2004 ZHP with 80k miles on it and am lining up some projects for over spring break. I am planning on replacing the oil separator and all the hoses. I have been buying most of my parts from autohausaz and I came across an alternate brand of oil separator and hoses. Autohausaz has them labeled as uro parts? They are significantly cheaper that the oem parts. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good? Here is a link of the 2 oil separators. Thanks, Rick.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hello all! I have been a lurker on this site for some time, but this is my first post. I have a 2004 ZHP with 80k miles on it and am lining up some projects for over spring break. I am planning on replacing the oil separator and all the hoses. I have been buying most of my parts from autohausaz and I came across an alternate brand of oil separator and hoses. Autohausaz has them labeled as uro parts? They are significantly cheaper that the oem parts. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good? Here is a link of the 2 oil separators. Thanks, Rick.
I love Autohausaz, but AVOID THE URO SEPARATOR!!! I used a Uro brand separator for my CCV, and two of the OEM hoses wouldn't fit on the separator nozzles -- the most notable was the flex hose with the twist-lock. I ended up snapping the fitting ring on the hose just trying to dry-fit it to the separator in my garage. Ultimately, after some work with sandpaper, a file, an exacto-knife, motor oil, etc., I was able to simply jam the flex hose onto the separator nozzle, give it a few firm tugs to make sure it was on there, and I left it as-is -- I didn't even bother with the twist lock since there was no way it would twist on there. It will hold, since it's on there tight, but not the most reassuring thing in the world, and not worth the hours I spent working on it. I've used aftermarket parts for lots of things, but in hindsight the Uro separator is the one thing I wish I would have bypassed in favor of the OEM. Definitely worth the extra $10. I might be willing to use Uro hoses, but not the separator.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
On a job that is as much of a PITA as the oil separator and hoses, you do NOT want to have to go back for sloppy seconds. Go with a dealer source that gives great pricing like BMW of Chattanooga or Tischer (getbmwparts.com) in Maryland. Tischer has a number of e46 packages for cooling and CCV, with all the parts you need in one order.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a job that is as much of a PITA as the oil separator and hoses, you do NOT want to have to go back for sloppy seconds. Go with a dealer source that gives great pricing like BMW of Chattanooga or Tischer (getbmwparts.com) in Maryland. Tischer has a number of e46 packages for cooling and CCV, with all the parts you need in one order.
This is exactly what I was thinking, but sometimes I suffer from an atack of the cheaps and it takes over! Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
On a job that is as much of a PITA as the oil separator and hoses, you do NOT want to have to go back for sloppy seconds.
:bustingup

Every time I hear that expression, damn near piss myself laughing. Can't help myself out of a mental picture of a gigantic Roman Orgy....:D

But yeah, buy original in this case. Save your energy and strength for the other activity... :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.