BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in for my 15k oil service recently. So I popped the hood and checked the dipstick when I got back. The oil looks kinda brownish. I've never used synthetic before, but with dino juice I remember the oil looking golden like honey. Is synthetic brownish in color or am I being paranoid? Is there any way to check besides draining it? I'm going to get a 36mm wrench and see if they really changed the filter.

·
Registered
590 Posts
SchwartzBlack said:
Went in for my 15k oil service recently. So I popped the hood and checked the dipstick when I got back. The oil looks kinda brownish. I've never used synthetic before, but with dino juice I remember the oil looking golden like honey. Is synthetic brownish in color or am I being paranoid? Is there any way to check besides draining it? I'm going to get a 36mm wrench and see if they really changed the filter.
Sounds like you should be changing your own oil.... It sounds fine.

--gary

G

·
Syn is roughly the color of crappy American beer. But remember that an oil change does not get every drop of old oil out of the engine. That color could be the result of some residual old oil mixed with the new oil.

If you truly are paranoid, check the filter. And investing in the 36mm socket is money well spent as you'll need it when you start changing your own oil.

G

·
Plaz said:

Hello, Department of Redundancy Department. To what party may I direct your call to?

:D
There IS some very good American beer. You just have to look for it. Especially out west, there is a lot of excellent breweries to choose from.

Rogue, Marin, Anderson Valley, and even Sierra Nevada are all truly world-class.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

There IS some very good American beer. You just have to look for it. Especially out west, there is a lot of excellent breweries to choose from.

Rogue, Marin, Anderson Valley, and even Sierra Nevada are all truly world-class.
I am no beer expert, but Sierra Nevada is excellent...

G

·
nate328Ci said:

I am no beer expert, but Sierra Nevada is excellent...
Sierra Nevada is by FAR the most mainstream of that list. But it is still very good (although when you drink a lot of it, the cascade hops can start to get on your nerves).

As you're down in Tejas, Nate, a few years back I would have said to try Celis beer out of Austin, but, alas, they got bought out by Miller and then shut down a few years back.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

Sierra Nevada is by FAR the most mainstream of that list. But it is still very good (although when you drink a lot of it, the cascade hops can start to get on your nerves).

As you're down in Tejas, Nate, a few years back I would have said to try Celis beer out of Austin, but, alas, they got bought out by Miller and then shut down a few years back.
If you are going to be drinking a lot of something, I like Gin :p

Yes SN is pretty mainstream, found amost anywhere. Hell, the on-camus store at my college sold it.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
TD said:

You're right, of course. American beer is just one of those things its still easy to pick on without much recrimination. Kind of like the French. :D

I've also had many really bad microbrews too though... it's safe to say that just because a beer is obscure, doesn't make it good!

20,210 Posts
TD said:

dang, this thread just reminded me of how good Celis was :bawling:

now we're left with Shiner Bock, which I'm growing tired of:(

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
TD said:

You guys should try Downtown Brown, 8 Ball Stout, and Great White (the white for you weenies) All made locally here in Humboldt... Downtown Brow is pretty spread out.. Anyone recognize these?

G

·
SchwartzBlack said:
Well the oil actually looked more like Guinness. Does anyone here drink that crap?
I've drank quite a lot of it over the years. But I've learned that there are other Irish stouts that are more flavorful and I now prefer those (as in Guinness is a bit too bland).

But what's not to like about Guinness? It's a rather light, non-offensive beer. The only issue is, if you're an American Piss-Beer drinker (and I actually lump Canadian, German and Dutch beers like Molson and Becks and Heineken in that category), the color is a bit off-putting. But get over it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
SchwartzBlack said:
Well the oil actually looked more like Guinness. Does anyone here drink that crap?
I drink it. It's one of the better beer you can find off of ANY supermarket shelf.

Sure beats drinkin' Bud.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where I grew up, Guninness was the drink of choice for gangsters, debt collectors, ruffians, and other unsavory characters so I guess the association has always turned me off. And the Guinness ads played up the "bad boy" image. Me? I grew up with Anchor, Tiger, Fosters, and Tsingtao.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
My favorite tasting drink is a black and tan original meaning... Bass and Guiness... I love guiness from the tap... but you guys know the American Guiness is just that... American Guiness. True guiness is illegal in most places in the US due to the fact it doesnt meet the FDA requirements. Oh well, trust me, it tastes better when it is real, but american guiness from the tap is great. If you guys like guiness, buy some "perminator" from a catalog or somewhere. It is true german beer, nice, dark, and a much higher percent. Plus you get alot more for less.

G

·
dredmo said:
My favorite tasting drink is a black and tan original meaning... Bass and Guiness... I love guiness from the tap... but you guys know the American Guiness is just that... American Guiness. True guiness is illegal in most places in the US due to the fact it doesnt meet the FDA requirements. Oh well, trust me, it tastes better when it is real, but american guiness from the tap is great. If you guys like guiness, buy some "perminator" from a catalog or somewhere. It is true german beer, nice, dark, and a much higher percent. Plus you get alot more for less.
The "American Guinness" is different from "Real Guinness" story, while believable, is actually a beer urban legend. It's just not true.

The ONLY difference is the fact that Guinness in Ireland has not had to endure the trip to the US. Unlike other styles of beer, stout is more variable and likely to age or change in non-ideal conditions.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
nate328Ci said:
Yes SN is pretty mainstream, found amost anywhere. Hell, the on-camus store at my college sold it.
Mainstream enough for the ballpark even, and it was an excellent alternative to Miller at the A's game I went to the other day. I think you'd have to be a Chico State alumnus to really worship the stuff though -- at least that's what I am guessing based on my observations of my Chico alum bicycling bud.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts