BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
eatkinson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 X5 Diesel and after it has been running for about 30 min the temp guage
ends up going past the middle. I am of an OCD type and this drives me absolutely insane. My friend works for BMW and says its normal, I disagree. If the needle was meant to sit past the middle they would have changed it. I worked on older BMW's E30, E36, E46, E90 and the temp is always straight up and down.

If the guage leaned slightly towards the right there was a problem. Im going to take it to the dealer soon. Does anyone have any input on this? I know the gas engine guage middle point is 250 on my car its 210 so its clear the diesels need to run cooler hence the lower temp being the midway. Thoughts? I have attached an image of my temp guage.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine is gas 6cyl, it never goes past the middle it actually stays right over the 2 of the 250. I wouldn't be concerned about yours just yet, drive it for few days and see how it does.

·
eatkinson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its been doing that for a few weeks now. I dont remember it going that far when I bought last year. COuld be that I didnt pay attention to it. Driving me crazy now.

·
eatkinson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doubt it, It was doing that before I got my first service. Maybe it was like before? Not sure.. Just seeing if any other diesel owners are experiencing anything similair.. That is before I take it to the dealer and they give me the "its normal".

·
Registered
85 Posts
Please note that these cars have electronic thermostats and water pumps. The temperature is exactly regulated by the computer.

Now that said, thank you efficient dynamics. I believe I read somewhere that our cars automatically run slightly hot when on the highway to reduce oil viscosity and therefore driveline losses. No joke. On my X3 35i the temperature gauge will go ever slightly above vertical (as you show in your picture) but drop back to vertical for stop and go and hard driving. I believe this is a "design" feature of modern BMWs....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Lmao, you need to get your ocd under control!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
They should have left the temperature meter out like the old x5 so that we don't have to think about it ha ha. (My new 35i is usually at the 11 o'clock position, and about 11:30 position when driving fast/stolen on the freeway).

But don't worry... if it actually gets too hot, it will beep and an error message will appear on the display! (i saw that while in my brother's 5 series.)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
What use is a temperature gauge that only sits in one position? It's not there to make you feel better about yourself!

·
eatkinson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me it looks like it is running warm and diesels to my knowedge need to run cooler for the nox. C3uo, once the needle goes past the middle it does not go back to the left. It stays there, i know many of you think its trivial and may be just bothers me to see. Like i said before i have never seen a temp guage go past the midway point on a bmw...ever

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How is the radiator/coolant level and oil level?
Yeah i know how uncomfortable you feel when it's at or past the top. (I was already nervous when i saw mine at the 11:30 position.)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just remembered something from the other subforum. Once in a while, something is supposed to get real hot for a certain amount of time and that would be normal (diesel system housekeeping). But i didn't pay attention to them since i dont have diesel. But it's supposed to happen in cycles/intervals and not every minute. Somebody even plugged something into the obd2 port and recorded the temperature like a data recorder. Then charted it out and pointed to all the places it's doing its housekeeping.
(If yours doesn't come down, try another new x5d at the dealer to see if it's the same. If it doesn't go as high then maybe have them fix yours.)

·
eatkinson
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XX, the coolant and oil levels are good. I checked and the vehicle was just serviced. It doesnt get real hot just stays there. I was going to go to the dealer to check but wanted to see if anyone on this forum has a diesel and was experiencing a similair issue.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
To me it looks like it is running warm and diesels to my knowedge need to run cooler for the nox. C3uo, once the needle goes past the middle it does not go back to the left. It stays there, i know many of you think its trivial and may be just bothers me to see. Like i said before i have never seen a temp guage go past the midway point on a bmw...ever
a few degrees F won't make much difference with NOx. a few hundred degrees will make a difference, but there's a urea system so it doesn't matter.

my e30 ALWAYS sits just past mid once warmed up. the time it started hanging out near the red turned out to be the cluster failing, after 25 years.

BMW doesn't run diesels "cold" - they need to be run hot for emissions and efficiency just like gas engines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I'll be honest, my 35d runs with the temperature needle vertical (from memory), not slightly to the right as shown. My 35i though goes slightly to the right as shown when on the highway.

During DPF burn off, I understand diesel is injected in the exhaust stream to clean out the particulate filter ("burn off"). My car smells like burning when this occurs (unless I am on the highway). That said, I don't think this impacts the engine water temperature - but could be wrong.

That said, I love having a temperature gauge as it allows me to know to not drive the car hard until it is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
it's also worth noting the OP's view and picture have an offset viewing angle - if the gauge is read dead on, there will be a slight reduction in how off center the gauge looks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2014 X5 Diesel and after it has been running for about 30 min the temp guage

ends up going past the middle. I am of an OCD type and this drives me absolutely insane. My friend works for BMW and says its normal, I disagree. If the needle was meant to sit past the middle they would have changed it. I worked on older BMW's E30, E36, E46, E90 and the temp is always straight up and down.

If the guage leaned slightly towards the right there was a problem. Im going to take it to the dealer soon. Does anyone have any input on this? I know the gas engine guage middle point is 250 on my car its 210 so its clear the diesels need to run cooler hence the lower temp being the midway. Thoughts? I have attached an image of my temp guage.
I just picked up my 2015 X5d last week. Have put 1000 miles on it already. That's about where my temperature gauge sits.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

What you are talking about?
Where you getting those propaganda rumors ?
Wow I feel sorry for dealers or others centers to listening those miracle happenings.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Save your OCD for something else, what you see is the "norm" or the new one as it applies to the F15.
My 10/14 build F15 does the EXACT same thing. This is completely normal. If you are really worried bring up your "hidden" dashboard with which you can observe various operating parameters in REAL time.
Depending on year, model, etc the "temperature" gauge with the needle at the "12 o'clock" position yields a range of actual operating temperatures. i.e. a E38 the range is 75-115 degrees CENTIGRADE with a deflection of 0 degrees. If you have an E 39 same situation, as well as a lot of other models over the years.
Let us know what the techs tell you, bet it's nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know anymore

What is a serious question and what isn't on this forum?

That is exactly where my oil temperature needle resides on my 2015 X5D.

Since I have mild OCD I understand compulsion but honestly how can you get upset if you do not know where the temperature is supposed to be anyhow? As long as it doesnt go far right, that is good.

To the guy who said diesels are supposed to run colder? Nope, just the opposite. I guess you work for VW?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts