BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2011 335i xdrive last Saturday, I've noticed that the oil temp typically runs low, either 1 or a few below the median. I do live in a pretty cold area put it seams to do this even when it's warm out. Is this bad? do I need to fix this or is this normal, sorry if this is a stupid question I'm new to this.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
What is actual temperature on gauge?
Are there any modifications you can see under the hood?
Also, access hidden menu (look for coolant temperature hidden menu E90 on YouTube) and check your coolant temperature when vehicle is driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is actual temperature on gauge?
Are there any modifications you can see under the hood?
Also, access hidden menu (look for coolant temperature hidden menu E90 on YouTube) and check your coolant temperature when vehicle is driven.

It's usually from about 210-240F, and no it's bone stock. I've read a couple other forums and people seem to think that's normal but I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
It's usually from about 210-240F, and no it's bone stock. I've read a couple other forums and people seem to think that's normal but I just want to make sure.
It is normal. You want oil temperature above 212f. Reason I am asking is that sometimes people put aftermarket thermostat that opens at 90c instead of 110c. It is located on oil filter housing and oil cooler lines go into it. Do you have actual radiator type oil cooler or “box” fluid/fluid heat exchanger?

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,272 Posts
Ours (2008 335xi N54 stock) on long drives on a hot summer day may get to 245, winter it usually tops out at 235. Owned it 5 years never changes.

·
7,272 Posts
Has cooler?

To the best of my knowledge there has been no engine mods. What model/options included one from the factory?

Edit: when I change oil it is 6-7 liters, must not have a cooler or it would show low on the dash.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
So does it have that box on oil filter housing? Or those two lines coming out, and going below passenger headlight?
Reason I am asking is that N54 was big shame on BMW in first years bcs. oil cooling. BMW basically sent to the North America N54 with no oil coolers of any type. Motor Trend takes car to compare it to Infinity G35 and Infinity blasts on Willow Springs like crazy, 335 cannot finish hot lap constantly going into limp mode.
Than BMW started to equip some packages with heat exchanger and then eventually with radiator type oil cooler.
To me, 245 doesn’t leave too much margin, so I am thinking no radiator type oil cooler, maybe fluid/fluid heat exchanger.

·
7,272 Posts
So does it have that box on oil filter housing? Or those two lines coming out, and going below passenger headlight?
Reason I am asking is that N54 was big shame on BMW in first years bcs. oil cooling. BMW basically sent to the North America N54 with no oil coolers of any type. Motor Trend takes car to compare it to Infinity G35 and Infinity blasts on Willow Springs like crazy, 335 cannot finish hot lap constantly going into limp mode.
Than BMW started to equip some packages with heat exchanger and then eventually with radiator type oil cooler.
To me, 245 doesn’t leave too much margin, so I am thinking no radiator type oil cooler, maybe fluid/fluid heat exchanger.

I don't think so. I probably would has noticed it when I did the water pump.
My oil filter housing
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

And behind the passenger headlight
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Black Bumper

·
7,272 Posts
Oh yeah, no oil cooler of any kind.

I guess its a good thing I don't track it, just some spirited street driving.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I guess its a good thing I don't track it, just some spirited street driving.
You wouldn’t make it too far. N54’s are notorious “overheaters” on the track even with oil cooler (especially automatic). Most people go aftermarket bigger oil radiators or two.
I personally would install heat exchanger. It will help you with warming up and cooling. You can get parts on ebay for $100 and two new gaskets for some $60.

·
7,272 Posts
You wouldn’t make it too far. N54’s are notorious “overheaters” on the track even with oil cooler (especially automatic). Most people go aftermarket bigger oil radiators or two.
I personally would install heat exchanger. It will help you with warming up and cooling. You can get parts on ebay for $100 and two new gaskets for some $60.

Since it is for sale and not an issue I won't be doing that, maybe the next owner if they think it is a problem.
More importantly is what about OP's 2011? If the gage is the same his temp is the same as mine.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,293 Posts
More importantly is what about OP's 2011? If the gage is the same his temp is the same as mine.
2011 xDrive (which OP has) will not have the auxiliary oil cooler unless the car was ordered with the Sport or M Sport package and the high-performance tire option. That combination adds SA840 high-speed synchronization with the oil cooler.

The oil cooler has an independent thermostat so steady-state temperatures are little different from what you see without the cooler: Around 235-245°F when fully warmed-up, depending on a few variables.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2011 xDrive (which OP has) will not have the auxiliary oil cooler unless the car was ordered with the Sport or M Sport package and the high-performance tire option. That combination adds SA840 high-speed synchronization with the oil cooler.

The oil cooler has an independent thermostat so steady-state temperatures are little different from what you see without the cooler: Around 235-245°F when fully warmed-up, depending on a few variables.
Base N55 has same set up as yours. Sport package and M sport have oil coolers.

Since it is for sale and not an issue I won't be doing that, maybe the next owner if they think it is a problem.
Thanks everyone for your help, i figured out this is normal and I was just freaking out about it taking longer then normal on a cold winter day, my last car was always at the median so it just concerned me. Again I appreciate the contributions and help from everyone, have a great day.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help, i figured out this is normal and I was just freaking out about it taking longer then normal on a cold winter day, my last car was always at the median so it just concerned me. Again I appreciate the contributions and help from everyone, have a great day.
What was your last car? Did it have oil temperature gauge or coolant temperature temperature gauge?
Oil takes longer to warm up than coolant. Oil temperature is actually your engine temperature or more “correct” temperature than coolant temperature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.