BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil Temp Sensor

1828 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Jason5driver
Got my first check engine light in a long while--anyone know why it came on--OOOH wait I have a code reader and it's PO197 for the oil temp sensor--Now the real question I have --is this part located near (or on) the oil filter housing and is it different from the oil pressure switch? Thanks all
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
No the oil level is just fine--the oil temp sensor id on the blip--meaning it doesn't work anymore
Interesting - the first Bentley reference to the oil temp P-code is on the M54 4/00+. P0197 denotes that the sensor is low, and P0198, high. So this must have been a mid-year addition.

There is no P-code for the M62. Perhaps they discovered that the M54 had an oil-temp problem, and sought to monitor it.

How about item 13? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&btnr=11_2201&hg=11&fg=30
Edjack--Thanks, that is what I was a huntin--I thought that the sensor was located there, just wanted to be sure --PM
Funny, I think I remember posting to take a look at this very sensor as well...
:D
You might call the dealer or an independent mechanic and see if there is another oil sensor besides the #13 shown in the Real OEM diagram above...

Thanks!
Jason
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.