BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my old 2.5 used to run at like 210 (oil temp) or so doing moderate driving on the freeway. Now with the 3.2, it runs above 210 and close to 240. One thing that was changed is that I used BMW sythetic oil in the new engine. I usually use Mobile 1. Could the change in oil cause an increase in oil temp? Both are same oil weight

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
chukiechz said:
OK my old 2.5 used to run at like 210 (oil temp) or so doing moderate driving on the freeway. Now with the 3.2, it runs above 210 and close to 240. One thing that was changed is that I used BMW sythetic oil in the new engine. I usually use Mobile 1. Could the change in oil cause an increase in oil temp? Both are same oil weight
Bigger engine capacity=higher combustion rate and temperature. My friend's E46 M3 runs CONSISTENTLY at 240 degree on regular highway driving.

Don't worry about it.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: oil temp variation?

The HACK said:

Bigger engine capacity=higher combustion rate and temperature. My friend's E46 M3 runs CONSISTENTLY at 240 degree on regular highway driving.

Don't worry about it.
I've never seen my dad's M5 run above 210. That was the highest it got on the track, although they were only warm-up runs until the clutch went out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hack: thanks!:thumb: getting paranoid since its running hot, and its not even that warm out yet.

webguy: Yes, I blew the 2.5 in my car, and decided that it would be easier to drop in a 3.2 than to rebuild the 2.5 with lowered compression, different pistons, etc. :D Plus, I doubt the torque on a built 2.5 could compare to the 3.2, especially when its blown.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Re: Re: Re: oil temp variation?

nate328Ci said:

I've never seen my dad's M5 run above 210. That was the highest it got on the track, although they were only warm-up runs until the clutch went out.
But it's a V, not an I, so the heat dispersion qualities are naturally better (I'd assume, anyhow).

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
chukiechz said:
hack: thanks!:thumb: getting paranoid since its running hot, and its not even that warm out yet.

webguy: Yes, I blew the 2.5 in my car, and decided that it would be easier to drop in a 3.2 than to rebuild the 2.5 with lowered compression, different pistons, etc. :D Plus, I doubt the torque on a built 2.5 could compare to the 3.2, especially when its blown.
So you've got a sleeper now, you bastard. :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

nate328Ci said:

What's that thing redline at, 6,700?

I think the higher piston speed on the E46 M3 engine also has something to do with it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nate's right, an S52 off a 97. It would be impossible to swap in an E46 3.2 because of the diffrent components in the newer engine that the older DME cant account for. Plus, the supercharger system wouldnt fit on there. It was a direct swap from the 2.5 to the 3.2.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

atyclb said:

My M3 almost NEVER goes above 210; it's never gotten anywhere near 240.
Really? Hm, maybe the 240 is when he was on the track. :dunno:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
most cars dont get above 210. I think mine goes to 240 because the blower gears are lubed by the engine oil, and it probably picks up a lot of the compressor heat. But it never got that hot driving on the freeway. I guess I'll have to see what happens this summer. I'll also go back to mobile 1 and see

1 - 17 of 17 Posts