BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that the heater in my car never gets quite as hot as in my other cars (or as hot as in previous convertibles I've had) and I was wondering if this might have something to do with the thermostat settting or whether it's just my imagination.

I've noticed that the oil temperature gauge consistently registers 230 degrees F even on the hottest days, once the engine gets to normal operating temperature. (I believe the gauge registers ol temperature and not block temperature though I recall a thread relating to this some time back).

Have any of you noticed what the oil temperature gauge indicates consistently on your vehicles? If you have, could you let me know what it is? Thanks!

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
240 in Florida unless on my 5th or 6th 1/4 mile run in succession then it runs up to 250-255. Used heat once, I think, while up in Spartanburg in December.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Last night coming in late from the airport the night was cool in the low 60s (*F). For the first time since the start of this hot summer the oil temp was lower than the normal 230 degree.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
On Average

175/180 degrees Fahrenheit

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
pan said:
Last night coming in late from the airport the night was cool in the low 60s (*F). For the first time since the start of this hot summer the oil temp was lower than the normal 230 degree.
I think you are about to become Lord Celsius, Heater of the Oil.

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malibubimmer said:
I think you are about to become Lord Celsius, Heater of the Oil.
So be it - I humbly accept the appellation of Lord Celsius, HOL!

So it appears that the thermostat is not the issue ... Could it be a computer setting that is preventing the air temperature from gettng to where it should (the AC isn't on) by physically not diverting the airflow correctly from the heat source to vents? I did have one occasion (many months ago and which has not recurred thus far) when all that came out of the passenger side vent was cold air though the passenger settings were set to the maximum. The driver's side heat worked properly. When I restarted the car it maraculously fixed itself.

Also, I recall an old post (by Cobra and Mal) that may relate to this but it's a bit cryptic. I reproduce the relevant bits below:

"This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 14 03 dated December 2005.
48. Ventilation temperature too cold. Refer to SM B64 202 05."

Cobradav: I can't find SM B64 202 05 - do you know what this refers to or where I can find it?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Driving around today, air temperature 98*F, mine was steady on 240*F.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
IIRC engine oil temp can rage betwen 110- 120 degree Celsius,depending on enviromental factor is noraml,it's when it get to like 140 to 150 degree Celsius you might worrie.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Okay, listen to this

A little butterfly told me that, "We show you whatever we want." If you really knew the temperature the car/oil really is, you would have a brain aneurysm. So don't sweat the small stuff.

The moral of the story, you're more than within range... This gauge is a guide not a place holder to describe or show warnings.

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gbelton said:
The moral of the story, you're more than witin range...
Agreed - that's what I wanted to find out as one step towards troubleshooting the problem of the cockpit temperature not appearing to be high enough at the maximum heat setting on the climate controls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.