BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 e36 328i with H/K 10 speaker system, no CD changer or Nav. I have split fold down seats in the trunk. The ONLY thing that I listen to is my iPod. OK, now that you know what I am working with...what do you think of this set up that has been suggested to me? (I know that this group - and some of the contributors :) might be slightly biased...)

Now, to quote their proposal:

"So, let's start up front with the Head Unit: $XXX w/Ipod Cable
Without a doubt, this is the best head unit out there and it has every possible feature you'll ever need:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9856- Of course we'll use the iPod full speed cable to allow communication between the iPod and the head unit.

From here, we'll go the new amplifier, which is going to power both the front speakers and the subwoofer. This amplifier rivals those costing twice as much, and is very install friendly as well: $XXX
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=435/_cid=164

Here's the subwoofer/enclosure combination we'll use, as it fits snugly between the lower tiers of the floor in the trunk and sounds incredible. Remember, we'll be removing the rear speakers to allow the pressure into the cabin.
Enclosure: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=395/_cid=156 I know it says that it's for a convertible, but the design also fits the E36 sedans perfectly. $XXX
Subwoofer: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=448 We'll use the more efficient version of this woofer, I just don't have it on the site. The performance is identical, however. $XXX

For the front speakers, we'll use the Rainbow Sound Line components. The 1" Silk Dome tweeters are butter-smooth, and the midbass response is staggering. There isn't a better speaker for less than $500. These are only $XXXper pair.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=7"

SO - what do you think of the logic, and even better - has anyone done this set up before?

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions. many thanks!
Sproles

·
Banned
708 Posts
I think, based on your comments, that you've already decided.

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No - not really. I see NOW why you thought that...those statements like, "now, let's start with the head unit" were direct quotes from their emailed proposal. I have now made that more clear in the original posting...thanks!

With that being said, It is not a cheap set-up, and I want to make sure that I am making a sound (no pun intended) decision. If there are other options that will: (1) sound as good or better (2) be about the same money and (3) be something that I can do myself - I would look at them.

This is where I have come SO FAR in my decision making process. I guess I am at the last stage or research before I go to the "GO / NO-GO" stage.

Thanks for you input...what do you think of the set-up accoustically eldude...?

Sproles

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure what The Dude will say regarding sound quality of the system, but I think it'll sound great! ;)

Seriously though, there's only so much anyone can tell you about how a proposed system configuration will sound in your vehicle. In any case, I just wanted to let you know that you ARE protected by our money back guarantee, so if you're not happy you are welcome to a full refund. We know this will be a project for you, and we can't guarantee your time, but we really do stand behind our products. I think you'll be really pleased.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sound line vs IQ line?

How do you think the sound line compares to the IQ line of speakers and what is the approximate cost difference? As far as the install goes, are the sound line an easy task to install? Is an amp upgrade required?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sound Lines and IQ Lines are VERY similar. The same midwoofer is used in both sets, but the tweeters in the IQ Lines are somewhat larger and smoother, and the crossovers are tuned specifically for the vehicle. If you can afford the difference in price ($80) I would go for the IQ Lines, but if not, the Sound Lines are superb.

In terms of an amplifier upgrade, it's not required, but if you're going to install a small, efficient subwoofer, you might as well use a 4 channel amp instead of a 2 channel amplifier since the price difference is so small and it will make a very big difference.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you were the original poster! The amplifier upgrade is not required as part of our Stage 1. If you are just doing the speaker upgrade package and not sure if you need it, start without it. If the results are what you wanted, don't put another second of thought into it. If you need more, then we'll explore amplifier upgrade options.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Micah D. Cranman said:
Not sure what The Dude will say regarding sound quality of the system, but I think it'll sound great! ;)
I didn't say anything.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Micah, with all the time you have to answer questions on the forums lately, I figured things were well in hand... : ) Didn't need my input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fair enough. :)

Honestly I don't have any more time than before, but we've taken on some more sponsorship. I think increased participation should go along with it, so I've been on the boards more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts