BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to bring with me?
I would REALLY hate to forget something. :p
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:p Thanks for the help, Nate...
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
:p Thanks for the help, Nate...
I suppose the essentials would be...uh...essential.

Tire pressure gauge, compressor (if you have one), maybe a big box to put all your crap while you're driving, and a torque wrench to set your lugs.

Helmet if you have one of course. Driving gloves, neck brace, shoes :p
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do I need a brake fluid change? I'm not exactly clear on whether that's just for the track or autox, too...
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't had time to work on it... Worked SEVEN! days this week. *groan*
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
What do I need to bring with me?
I would REALLY hate to forget something. :p
I take another approach...what can I leave at home so I don't have to leave it sitting in the sun while I make my runs.

Some of the things that people have mentioned are worthwhile to have *if* you're going to use them. This being your first autox, most of those things aren't going to do you a whole lot of good. You don't have much time between runs to do anything more than make slight tire pressure adjustments. Thinking about them probably won't do you any more good than distract you from thinking about your previous run. At this stage of your (and my own) autocrossing careers, the most important to think about and try to adjust is the actual driving. I was pretty slow yesterday and I think I know why. I didn't make the same mistakes (at least not nearly on the same scale) I made the time before, but instead made a bunch of new ones. That's what's important. Maybe you'll feel different next Monday :dunno:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mostly, I just needed to know if I have to get the car inspected beforehand... My big concern is that I might be denied participation thanks to an administrative issue.

All the rest, well...
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Mostly, I just needed to know if I have to get the car inspected beforehand... My big concern is that I might be denied participation thanks to an administrative issue.

All the rest, well...
Just make sure that your wheels can stand a good firm tug, your battery is strapped down and nothing is visibly loose in the engine compartment and the techs should let you through. The inspections don't inspire a lot of confidence, but thats not the issue right now ;)
 
G

·
It truly is more along the lines of what NOT to bring. Empty your glovebox of everything except the essentials (registration, ins card, emission cert). Take evrything else out of the car that's loose. Your spare stays, but leave your owners manual at home (unless you want to leave it with your other stuff sitting around). And bring your helmet and *maybe* a quart of the same oil that's in your car. You will not use your brakes much, so don't worry about them.

I'd also bring some paper towels and windex to clean off your number before driving home. A number is a cop magnet. And some water (it's almost always too warm), sunscreen and maybe a snack. I toss all of this stuff into a large milk crate and leave it in the "paddock area" with my torque wrench (just in case).

But it will be much easier to bring too much stuff than not enough.

Oh, and leave your driver's side floor mat at home. Especially if it's raining. You'll have to remove it, so it's just easier to leave it at home.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
TD said:
It truly is more along the lines of what NOT to bring. Empty your glovebox of everything except the essentials (registration, ins card, emission cert). Take evrything else out of the car that's loose. Your spare stays, but leave your owners manual at home (unless you want to leave it with your other stuff sitting around). And bring your helmet and *maybe* a quart of the same oil that's in your car. You will not use your brakes much, so don't worry about them.

I'd also bring some paper towels and windex to clean off your number before driving home. A number is a cop magnet. And some water (it's almost always too warm), sunscreen and maybe a snack. I toss all of this stuff into a large milk crate and leave it in the "paddock area" with my torque wrench (just in case).

But it will be much easier to bring too much stuff than not enough.

Oh, and leave your driver's side floor mat at home. Especially if it's raining. You'll have to remove it, so it's just easier to leave it at home.
I always take my spare out :dunno:

Anyway, TD, I would recommend that you get a pair of magnetic numbers since you do (or would like to do) a lot of driving events. Easy to use and cheap. :thumb: A symmetric number is ideal, your class would be nice too :thumb:

I use the number 80, and can flip it to 08 if necessary http://members.roadfly.com/nate328ci4/2.jpg

It stays on at high speeds too :bigpimp:
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:


I always take my spare out :dunno:

Anyway, TD, I would recommend that you get a pair of magnetic numbers since you do (or would like to do) a lot of driving events. Easy to use and cheap. :thumb: A symmetric number is ideal, your class would be nice too :thumb:

I use the number 80, and can flip it to 08 if necessary http://members.roadfly.com/nate328ci4/2.jpg

It stays on at high speeds too :bigpimp:
There was an S2000 out yesterday with magnetic numbers. On the two runs that I saw, half of them fell off :dunno:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
clyde325xiT said:


There was an S2000 out yesterday with magnetic numbers. On the two runs that I saw, half of them fell off :dunno:
I've driven my car to 137 with magnetic numers on, but the leading edge was taped down, per PCA regulations.

I didn't tape them last weekend, because this group doesn't require it and went 120 in my warm up laps in the M5 and they were fine; consistent 115 in the 330Cic and they stayed put :dunno:
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
TD said:
with my torque wrench (just in case).
If something were to happen, I am sure that you could find people with pretty much whatever you need that are more than happy to help. There's nothing better than being self-sufficient, but people who need people are the...um, uh, did I just say that? :yikes:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
clyde325xiT said:


If something were to happen, I am sure that you could find people with pretty much whatever you need that are more than happy to help. There's nothing better than being self-sufficient, but people who need people are the...um, uh, did I just say that? :yikes:
4 guys helped my flush and bleed the brake fluid and put in new super blue on the 330 last week; my substitute instuctor for one run (who had a nice M3/4 with Dinan stage 1 and S-03s) and some other guys using thier jackstands and tools :thumb:

Everyone is pretty nice :dunno:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top