BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down and got the Dinan tranny software couple of days ago. Well, no other tuners have the tranny software anyway. :( Long Beach BMW did the job. Service advisor and parts guy were extremely friendly. And yesterday's AutoX was a true test of this software modification. Kaz was the one who *confronted* me at AutoX yesterday, claiming that he heard some funny pre-shifting noise from my car. :p

Just a quick recap what the Dinan tranny s/w does:

-> In both D and SD modes, shift points are raised. And in D mode, it will always start with 1st gear.

-> In M mode, gear will NOT automatically shift unless kickdown switch is activated.

-> In all modes, the shift lag from one gear to the next is reduced.

Forget about the gear dropping from 2 to 1 when the car stops. Dinan removes this feature and claims that some of their 323/328 customers complained about some traction problem.

Frankly, I do adore this mod a lot. Most rewarding in M mode cos I paddle (button) shift a lot and there is indeed a significant improvement. Paddle shift reduces the hand movement from wheel to knob and now this software shorten the lag time even more. Now I am even more addicted to driving. :D One small complain I have is that the Switchtronic buttons are too small. :cry: To get an idea, it's almost the size of a M&M. So I might afterall keep my suede SMG wheel for autoX and (hopefully) track use. :angel:

Last I heard, not all 325s are compatible. Checking compatibility is free.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

Frankly, I do adore this mod a lot. Most rewarding in M mode cos I paddle (button) shift a lot and there is indeed a significant improvement. Paddle shift reduces the hand movement from wheel to knob and now this software shorten the lag time even more. Now I am even more addicted to driving. :D One small complain I have is that the Switchtronic buttons are too small. :cry: To get an idea, it's almost the size of a M&M. So I might afterall keep my suede SMG wheel for autoX and (hopefully) track use. :angel:

Last I heard, not all 325s are compatible. Checking compatibility is free.
You aren't seriously going to swap steering wheels for auto-x, are you? Why not just use the Suede SMG wheel all the time? Anyways, sounds nice :D

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
What I 'caught' yesterday was the engine bouncing off the revlimiter quite a bit on the 1-2 WOT (presumably) upshift.

I'm assuming Vince had it in manual shift mode and wasn't hitting + in time, as autoshifting programming should NOT allow this to happen, even at WOT.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts

One small complain I have is that the Switchtronic buttons are too small. :cry: To get an idea, it's almost the size of a M&M. So I might afterall keep my suede SMG wheel for autoX and (hopefully) track use. :angel:

/B]

I'm alittle confused . . . what are switchtronic buttons and are these in addition to the paddles for shifting ?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alan F said:

I'm alittle confused . . . what are switchtronic buttons and are these in addition to the paddles for shifting ?
the Alpina wheel which Vince installed has small buttons behind the wheel for shifting. The M wheel has paddles.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alex Baumann said:

the Alpina wheel which Vince installed has small buttons behind the wheel for shifting. The M wheel has paddles.
paddles > tiny buttons

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I do agree with Vince

After seeing his steering wheel on Sunday, which is very nice, but then seeing the little buttons on the back I thought they may be a little harder to operate in the 'heat of battle' than the paddles.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alex Baumann said:

So basically he has 2 steering wheels, one with paddles(M3 wheel) and one with tiny buttons to shift with (Alpina)

Do I have it right ?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alan F said:

So basically he has 2 steering wheels, one with paddles(M3 wheel) and one with tiny buttons to shift with (Alpina)

Do I have it right ?
Aye, Vince is our steering wheel guru :)

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alex Baumann said:

Aye, Vince is our steering wheel guru :)
and to think I thought Alee was crazy to have 11 M68 wheels:dunno:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alan F said:
and to think I thought Alee was crazy to have 11 M68 wheels:dunno:
Alee is the M68 King

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

You got it! :D

I am definitely keeping the Suede SMG wheel for AutoX and track use. And the ALPINA for regular driving. Might be a hassle to interchange the wheels, but it's not like I track every weekend... :D

Alan F said:

Do I have it right ?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Vince,

That suede steering wheel is so nice I will mount it on my Porsche if you ever want to get rid of it. Who cares that the airbag will be hollow and the SMG paddles will be useless?

I love that steering wheel (if I still had my 330i, I would eat macaroni to save money for it).

- Mike

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Emission said:

I love that steering wheel (if I still had my 330i, I would eat macaroni to save money for it).

- Mike
Be real Mike, you'd be eating Lobster everyday and you'd still buy that wheel !!!

Face it mike . . . you've got that type of $$ eventhough it's tough to admit !!! (Btw-no need to answer this buddy . . . we know:) )

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alex Baumann said:
Alee is the M68 King
And I know how to fit all of them in the coupe. :thumb:

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

alee said:

that is . . . uuuuhhhh . . . a real incredible feat !!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Alan F said:

...you'd be eating Lobster everyday and you'd still buy that wheel !!!
Actually, I am a real meat & potatos type guy. In fact, when I read your post I nearly choked on my Filet Mignon.

Keep up the faith Alan! I'll come knocking on your door next time I get laid off. :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

alee said:

Al, you know that that picture deserved a Pulitzer :D

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, I have been hiding something from you pple...

Alex Baumann said:
Al, you know that that picture deserved a Pulitzer :D
The look on the service manager's face at the dealership when I loaded the mounted wheels into the car was probably worthy of a prize too. :thumb:

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Emission said:

Actually, I am a real meat & potatos type guy. In fact, when I read your post I nearly choked on my Filet Mignon.

Keep up the faith Alan! I'll come knocking on your door next time I get laid off. :D
My door is always open for you buddy :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts