BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Dark Force
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I thought I would buy a BMW because its a luxury car, for the name that it is, I should get respect for it...blah blah blah, right? But no, honestly....I bought my BMW coz I was amazed by its technology. I thought I love the NAV with voice command and real time traffic, I thought the Push start button was cool, I thought the Bluetooth was amazing, and the list goes on and on. Until I realized how stupid the iDrive is, how useless the NAV is, and how inaccurate the "so called REALTIME" traffic is.....and all there was left that I love was the adjustable seat.....haha.
Then one day I saw on TV an Altima commercial, I did some research on their website and found: 270hp V6, comes standard with xenon headlights, Convenience package, the push START button, Bluetooth, traction control and all other good stuff. Also has options for DVD NAV "touch screen" and voice recognition, with XM NavTraffic, steering wheel NAV control, rearview monitor....ok so everything sounds either the same or better than what I have. Worst of all, whole car built price ALL FOR JUST A LITTLE UNDER $32k MSRP! Damn it!
If I really bought my car for just its technology and features, then I am screwed!
What is wrong with me?

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
I think you should go get the Altima. Dealer will probably let you do an even trade for a new one.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
A Timex keeps time too. So why buy a Rolex? :dunno:

Do people post this nonsense just to cause trouble or are they totally clueless. :dunno:

I have had an Altima as a loaner. It is a very cheaply made car with lots of goodies.

A BMW is a very well made car with lots of goodies.

Do you want goodies? Quality? or both?

A can of Coke has thicker metal than the trunk of an Altima. :rofl:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Probably the same thing that is wrong with most of the rest of us!

I've been wanting a really bitchin' car for some time now. Sure the prestige might be nice, but it isn't what makes the decision to buy. I have looked at Lexus, Infiniti, & Mercedes and I feel that BMW is hands-down the best driving car out there

BMW is the "Ultimate Driving Machine," which I firmly believe after some test drives. That is why I ordered the 535i which is due in at the dealership tonight. I hope that once I get to experience the iDrive, Nav, etc. that I don't feel has disheartened as you seem to be...

I have also seen the Altima commercials that you are talking about. While it does look like a great deal (value), I think that a balls-out test drive is in order! Maybe it won't seem like such a deal then.....

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
The Altima has better and more desirable features and amenities such as:
- Front Wheel Drive
- Standard Torque Steer
- Much more street cred in East LA
- Aftermarket neon parts
- Looks better with spinner rims
- Easy to get spare parts by swiping off rental cars at Hertz
- the list goes on...

·
Registered
199 Posts
don't forget 0-60 6.5 (Altima) vs. 5.6 (535xi)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Altima has better and more desirable features and amenities such as:
- Front Wheel Drive
- Standard Torque Steer
- Much more street cred in East LA
- Aftermarket neon parts
- Looks better with spinner rims
- Easy to get spare parts by swiping off rental cars at Hertz
- the list goes on...
+1

:rofl:

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
First I thought I would buy a BMW because its a luxury car, for the name that it is, I should get respect for it...blah blah blah, right? But no, honestly....I bought my BMW coz I was amazed by its technology. I thought I love the NAV with voice command and real time traffic, I thought the Push start button was cool, I thought the Bluetooth was amazing, and the list goes on and on. Until I realized how stupid the iDrive is, how useless the NAV is, and how inaccurate the "so called REALTIME" traffic is.....and all there was left that I love was the adjustable seat.....haha.
Then one day I saw on TV an Altima commercial, I did some research on their website and found: 270hp V6, comes standard with xenon headlights, Convenience package, the push START button, Bluetooth, traction control and all other good stuff. Also has options for DVD NAV "touch screen" and voice recognition, with XM NavTraffic, steering wheel NAV control, rearview monitor....ok so everything sounds either the same or better than what I have. Worst of all, whole car built price ALL FOR JUST A LITTLE UNDER $32k MSRP! Damn it!
If I really bought my car for just its technology and features, then I am screwed!
What is wrong with me?
Buyers remorse? Pretty normal. I get that feeling all the time.

My current car has less than <2K on the ODO, and I constantly find myself saying how good a 550i, G37, LS460, Boxster etc. are. Most cars have their merits and sweet spots - that's why they sell. No car offers everything to everyone - otherwise, people would just buy that one car. It seems like you just chose the car you thought best fit your needs at the time you bought it.

I'm able to 'manage' the illness by leasing, so that I can car-hop more than when purchasing (financially speaking). I also transferred my previous lease pre-term to get into my current one.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
I remember when a friend bought the Acura TL when it came out a few years ago. Amazing toys (voice command, touch screen nav, bluetooth...you could even find a POI on the nav (like a restaurant) and it would dial the phone number for you). The interior was pretty nice too.

...then I drove it around the block at high speed and realized it was front wheel drive. Ick. It may have the toys, but it is not an "ultimate driving machine" by any means...

·
Dark Force
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly where did I ever say I wanted an Altima...people?
All I was saying is BMW technology has let me down. Thinking they were great and superior, and then seeing a lowly priced car is now featuring the same technology as the so called "Ultimate driving machine".

Anyways, the point I am trying to make here is BMW seriously need to improve in their development as far as the NAV system, the POS iDrive, and find a way to make the RTT really works. Did I get my point across to you? Maybe not, but who cares. Just admit you bought your BMW to show off to your neighbors or friends.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
Nope, I bought my BMW because I love to drive and I think it's the best driving sedan out there (and I need a sedan, otherwise I'd get a sports car).

I agree BMW does have a ways to go to have the best electronic toys...I hope the competition forces this in the next gen.

Bimmerfest is not for poseurs who want to impress their friends, it's for car lovers...but since you have just trashed us all as poseurs I guess that means you'll be leaving us to spend more time at Circuit City looking at toys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
964dawg

It's not about bells and whistles and it's not about impressing your neighbors. It's about driving. That's what BMW does so much better than so many other cars. If you're buying one for any reason other than its abilities on the road, you're wasting your money.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
All I was saying is BMW technology has let me down. Thinking they were great and superior, and then seeing a lowly priced car is now featuring the same technology as the so called "Ultimate driving machine".

Anyways, the point I am trying to make here is BMW seriously need to improve in their development as far as the NAV system, the POS iDrive, and find a way to make the RTT really works. Did I get my point across to you? Maybe not, but who cares. Just admit you bought your BMW to show off to your neighbors or friends.
You don't mention what you don't like about the Altima.

Is that the gap between it and the BMW?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts

If this is why you bought your car, I'd say that you were clueless, but that would be uncharitable of me.

There are lots and lots of cars that have the same or better feature content, at lower price points, than BMW; this is not exactly headline news.

BMW does not exist to sell cars with average electronic gizmos and iffy user interfaces, it sells cars in spite of these things being "expected" by the buying public (in particular, the American buying public.)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

I'll say what one of the other posters said, " what are you drinking" ? If you didn't do your research and take test drives in the BMW and you have as many complaints as you do, then its nobodys fault but yours, your not getting any sympathy here. Live with your mistakes. Better luck on your next go around.
cheers
vern

·
Dark Force
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BMW does not exist to sell cars with average electronic gizmos and iffy user interfaces, it sells cars in spite of these things being "expected" by the buying public (in particular, the American buying public.)
Which is why I feel BMW needs to improve in these areas. People are expecting to see new technology everyday, things to make their life more convenient....something that actually works and works well. That was my point, so did you get it or not? Are you still looking at your CRT monitor or do you have an LCD? Do you have an iPOD or are you listening to your walkman? If BMW can just sell their cars based on how well the car performs and handles on the road, how would you feel if they stuck a cassette tape player in your car? You sure you won't complain? I believe the features of the car has to be up a notch since even an Altima is starting to catch up. That's all.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Which is why I feel BMW needs to improve in these areas. People are expecting to see new technology everyday, things to make their life more convenient....something that actually works and works well. That was my point, so did you get it or not? Are you still looking at your CRT monitor or do you have an LCD? Do you have an iPOD or are you listening to your walkman? If BMW can just sell their cars based on how well the car performs and handles on the road, how would you feel if they stuck a cassette tape player in your car? You sure you won't complain? I believe the features of the car has to be up a notch since even an Altima is starting to catch up. That's all.
No problem, I get your point.

I had a cassette tape in my Benz, is that backward enough for you? :D My point is that German car manufacturers are a bit more interested in having the car go 200+ kph on the Autobahn, but still be able to stop on a pfennig when that truck carrying turnips pulls out in front of the Mercedes lane.

BMW has not, and will never, be in the same league as car manufacturers with mass market appeal in terms of electronic "bling" which can be (and has been) added to the Altima and cars of this ilk.

The "features" of the cars do not in fact "have" to be up to the level of an Altima, in the opinions of the engineers who run the company, or they would focus on ""Nav system of the year" awards instead of "engine of the year" awards.

Got it?

Anyways, I feel like we are going to have to agree to disagree.

May I suggest you turn off all the electronic gizmos, set your auto to "S" mode, and go find a curvy road. Then you will know why you bought your car. Enjoy it.

Peace out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From the look of your 530...I would say impressing people is may be high on the list of the reasons you bought a BMW as well.

But seriously, to me, its similar to buying a Sony receiver with a lot of fancy features and also plays music vs. getting a solid, incredible sounding pre-amp and amp, that performs incredibly well at what it was designed to do in the first place.

I don't mind the I-drive, and the bells and whistles would be nice-to-haves, but in the end, its all about the driving.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
I know this is a little thing, but it is indicative of where BMW is coming from. When it rains, the brakes periodically engage so that they stay dry.

Now, some electronic gizmo cars do electronic gizmoing better than BMW, no question.

But how much thought, engineering, and execution do they put into brakes? Not to mention engines and suspensions. You know, car stuff.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts