BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 05 645 & I am in oil leak hell. My car is in the shop & I have already spent $1800 & I still have leaks. Was told it $1000 more. I hope this is it. I had to replace the valve cover, the oil pressure switch, the timing cover, the alternator gasket and I am sure there is more to come!

Maybellineo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kind of hard to tell, but have you replaced your vacuum pump yet?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I didn't replace it but got a kit that was advised by the guys of the forum to replace the seal & the o ring on the vacuum pump. The Indy said the vacuum pump's seal was ok & the 0 ring was ok but I made them replace anyway. I forgot about this.

Maybellineo

·
Super Moderator
9,949 Posts
It is very hard to tell were the oil is coming from? It could be the vacuum pump, the oil pressure sensor, the top timing cover gasket, or possibly a control arm bushing that has failed. I would suggest putting some engine gunk on the oil, & try to watch it very closely after the cleaning. Check the oil level in the engine, & steering reservoir, to help narrow down the problem.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys......my indy just told me he fixed the leaks. Sounded like it was 3 gaskets. I believe it was below the vacuum pump......where the oil pressure switch is located. I'll find out more when he drops off my car and tells me what I owe him.

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He did tell me that he used one whole can of break cleaner to clean the area. When he was taking it apart, he said it looked like oil was coming from a wire which made no sense to him until he took it apart. And he had to add 3 quarts of oil back into the engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A sensor will only let you know if you are low on oil. You have to visually inspect for leaks yourself.

I got one alert that said I was low on oil. It took about a quart and 1/2. But it is going on 2 weeks & they are still looking for all of the leaks. I am about to fire these guys. They complained I wouldn't leave the car long enough with them to see if they got them all. But what if it is the same leak they didn't find in the first place.

Not 2 straight weeks. They had it 3 days then I picked it up & had to bring it back now 3 times.

Maybellineo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks guys......my indy just told me he fixed the leaks. Sounded like it was 3 gaskets. I believe it was below the vacuum pump......where the oil pressure switch is located. I'll find out more when he drops off my car and tells me what I owe him.

Did you get your car back in one day? I am going on 2 weeks & have to keep bringing my car back when the leaks start again.

Maybellineo

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
I got one alert that said I was low on oil. It took about a quart and 1/2. But it is going on 2 weeks & they are still looking for all of the leaks. I am about to fire these guys. They complained I wouldn't leave the car long enough with them to see if they got them all. But what if it is the same leak they didn't find in the first place.

Maybellineo
Based on your situation, I'd switch indies. It does not take 2 weeks to find a leak. It should take one full day if they're doing quality work at the right pace.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Based on your situation, I'd switch indies. It does not take 2 weeks to find a leak. It should take one full day if they're doing quality work at the right pace.

I agree. I read them the riot act when I got it back the first time and it still leaked. I think because I am a woman they can take advantage. when I get it back I will never go back there again. I am still looking for a good honest BMW mechanic. I really think I am going to have to sell this car. It makes me so upset. My family is sick of hearing about this car.:bawling:

Maybellineo

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Well guys....I guess I lucked out or I have a very honest indy. $150 bucks fixed 3 leaks. And it was leaking bad.

That is dirt cheap. It's like buying a bottle of Macallan 18!

Care to share which kind of leaks you had?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes.....it was the oil pressure switch he replaced and he replaced 2 gaskets right above the vacuum pump. He showed me where he replaced them....but not sure what they are for. And yes....it took one day.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.