BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been years since I've worked in Tysons and in the past couple of weeks I have seen an obscene number of E46s out here. Most of them seem to be driven by younger guys, so I figure at least a few of you have to be on these boards.

So who's out here?

· A sudden sense of liberty
3,959 Posts
TD said:
It's been years since I've worked in Tysons and in the past couple of weeks I have seen an obscene number of E46s out here. Most of them seem to be driven by younger guys, so I figure at least a few of you have to be on these boards.

So who's out here?
Ugh. Working in the 'burbs? No thanks...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Okay, so who all here works in Tysons Corner?

JST said:

Ugh. Working in the 'burbs? No thanks...
Sometimes you gotta go where the work is. At least I HAVE TO commute by car now. Hold on. Maybe that isn't such a good thing.

And, yeah, it's taking some adjusting to be out here. Downtown was nice.

· Registered
486 Posts
Worked in Tysons for almost two years. Not that bad if you know the back roads. I used to not even touch the beltway until American Legion Bridge. Then it was a little bit until tysons.

The roads were great too. Glen Mill and such.

3,959 Posts
Ben Chou said:
Worked in Tysons for almost two years. Not that bad if you know the back roads. I used to not even touch the beltway until American Legion Bridge. Then it was a little bit until tysons.

The roads were great too. Glen Mill and such.
Yes, there are some good roads in the Great Falls area. Tom, if you get sick of 495 in the morning, get off the freeway right after the bridge onto Georgetown Pike. Turn right, and follow the winding road for a couple of miles. On the left, right after a hill, turn onto Spring Hill Road. That also winds a bit before dumping you out right next to Tyson's II. I also enjoy Saigon Rd (off of G'Town Pike between 495 and Spring Hill), but that's a dead end.

· I'm a Mac
10,481 Posts
Tom, you got a new job? (Congrats!).

If you're done with the city and finally out in God's country, what say we meet some time for lunch?

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hts said:
Tom, you got a new job? (Congrats!).

If you're done with the city and finally out in God's country, what say we meet some time for lunch?

You don't know how bad it is... Tysons is perhaps the single most poorly planned area ever built.

For example, there is a Starbucks literally 200 yards from the door of my building, but I cannot get there walking. A round trip takes me about 15 minutes.

Idiotic Virginia planning people.... Oh yeah, there aren't any. They just let anyone build whatever the f*ck they want to. How insane.

But what's worse is that the horrific congestion in Tysons has compelled my new company to seek new office space. The build-out is nearing completion on space out in YOUR neck of the woods (UGH!). Yes, Herndon.

I would take downtown DC over Herndon ANY DAY of ANY WEEK. Give me bums over suburban moms in SUVs. At least bums are often entertaining. I get the shakes just thinking about the very concept of Herndon.

And don't bring God into this. If he exists, he might smite you for crediting him with something as god awful (pun intended) as Tysons or Herndon.

· I like cookies.
19,819 Posts
TD said:

Idiotic Virginia planning people.... Oh yeah, there aren't any. They just let anyone build whatever the f*ck they want to. How insane.

You should move to Houston, there are NO city zoning laws whatsoever :bigpimp:

Seems to be working pretty well

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nate328Ci said:

You should move to Houston, there are NO city zoning laws whatsover :bigpimp:

Seems to be working pretty well
Northern Virginia is a planning DISASTER. Nothing moves and they keep building shit without a single new road or even a subway line.

NoVa is too conservative for their own good. They think the subway is for poor people and everyone drives solo in their cars (except for the gov't worker slugs). They give companies tax breaks to relocate here and then don't spring for a single bit of infrastructure. So the people come along with their tax dollars and then those dollars are spent to lure more companies, etc.

It's a huge pyramid scheme in the process of collapsing. And when it does collapse, things are going to be even uglier around here.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in this state. Ironically, most everyone I work with commutes back to Rockville at night.

· I'm a Mac
10,481 Posts
well, it's only 'my neck of the woods' for another 3 weeks.

:)

better take me up on that lunch offer soon--it'll self-expire before you know it, and then you'll be sitting around one afternoon, thinking to yourself..."ya know, i really should've met hts for lunch. i sure do miss that guy bumming d-i-y car tips off me and drinking my home-made beer."

;-)

· I like cookies.
19,819 Posts
TD said:

Northern Virginia is a planning DISASTER. Nothing moves and they keep building shit without a single new road or even a subway line.

NoVa is too conservative for their own good. They think the subway is for poor people and everyone drives solo in their cars (except for the gov't worker slugs). They give companies tax breaks to relocate here and then don't spring for a single bit of infrastructure. So the people come along with their tax dollars and then those dollars are spent to lure more companies, etc.

It's a huge pyramid scheme in the process of collapsing. And when it does collapse, things are going to be even uglier around here.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in this state. Ironically, most everyone I work with commutes back to Rockville at night.
Houston is actually keeping up with its growth. New/expanded highways are always underconstrcution. They are building a new tollroad now while improving existing highways :thumb: The county is suing the EPA to increase the speed limit too :D

My Aunt just moved back there and loves it. She lives out in the country though. Works at Exxon HQ, wherever that is :dunno:

3,959 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Houston is actually keeping up with its growth. New/expanded highways are always underconstrcution. They are building a new tollroad now while improving existing highways :thumb: The county is suing the EPA to increase the speed limit too :D

My Aunt just moved back there and loves it. She lives out in the country though. Works at Exxon HQ, wherever that is :dunno:
Merrifield, on Gallows Road (ironic, eh?) just south of Tyson's Corner.

23,233 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Well, speaking of bad planning, not much compares with Austin. The population has probably doubled to close to a million in the last 10 years, and we only have ONE major thoroughfare (more than 2 lanes) that goes East-West.

No joke.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
atyclb said:

Well, speaking of bad planning, not much compares with Austin. The population has probably doubled to close to a million in the last 10 years, and we only have ONE major thoroughfare (more than 2 lanes) that goes East-West.

No joke.
sucks sucks sucks. ugh, traffic here is horrendous and no relief on any other roads. i am moving to houston and am rooting for that speed limit change. 55 is just too slow....

23,233 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

sucks sucks sucks. ugh, traffic here is horrendous and no relief on any other roads. i am moving to houston and am rooting for that speed limit change. 55 is just too slow....
You should have been here in the early 90's though. You could get ANYWHERE at ANYTIME from one end of Austin to the other, in 20 minutes TOPS!

· I'm a Mac
10,481 Posts
Austin was our 2nd choice. Funny thing is, we really couldn't see ourselves as 'Texans'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hts said:
Austin was our 2nd choice. Funny thing is, we really couldn't see ourselves as 'Texans'.

Austin is cool and, hence, clearly not a part of Texas. The people there act cultured and enlightened and, hence, do not seem like Texans.

Hell, I'd love to live there. Just not anywhere else in Texas.

· Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
TD said:

Austin is cool and, hence, clearly not a part of Texas. The people there act cultured and enlightened and, hence, do not seem like Texans.

Hell, I'd love to live there. Just not anywhere else in Texas.
Hey TD, do you have that shot in your sig file that shows the windshield as well, so I can do a better job of blending in Bill the Cat onto your hood?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.