BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who still use old-schooled Oil Pan, which one do you use?

I currently use #1.

I pour old oil ---> funnel ---> 1-gallon milk jugs for disposal at local oil change (Valvoline oil change place).

I would like to see if anyone using #2 or #4: are these any better than #1 in terms of spillage?

Attachments

·
Under the lift arms
13,381 Posts
4 fits under my e39 with out a jack..
also my e36

then im able to use a long exstention and a 17mm socket... oil change with out getting on my back

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use model #2, just because I have it laying in the garage. I don't think my E38 cares too much what kind of pan it dumps oil into.

Spillage wise, #2 is better than #1. The oil out of #1 does not stay in the spout like the designers hoped it would. It tends to run wide and miss the funnel.

#2 has two little problems:
- you can't see how much room you got left (it's a factor if you are draining a 12-quart pickup truck motor)
- the hole in the catch tray sometimes gets clogged, causing a major exxonvaldez.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Number 1 can cause a mess, if you aren't careful. I use a pan that is close to number 3. It's easiest to use, because you drain oil into it directly and empty it simply by opening the cap. It looks like this:

·
plays well with others...
301 Posts
I have owned #2 for maybe 15 years now. I keep thinking about a pump but I just love using my AC jack.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use a MityVac for my oil changes. I used #2 once for draining coolant. It just hits the pan and splatters all over the floor. It was a disaster and seriously pissed me off. So I threw it away! The drain pan I use is closest to #4 when changing transmission fluid or coolant.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I 'inherited' #2 about 4 years ago, and must say, it is da' bomb! Have used all other variations for 25 years and would always slop a little oil out when moving, or drop the drain plug in and have to go fishing around for it. Always seemed like i'd get a drop of oil or many on the driveway. #2 is big, which helps to capture all the drops, plus you can let the drain plug fall, because it has a grate/screen built in. It also has a little 'dock' to park your oil filter to let it drain (more helpful for canister type oil filters) Lastly it has plenty of capacity for the 7 qts of oil. oh yes, easy to drain into a 5 gal bucket to take back to oreilly's. Lastly, it has that big handle on it which you can use to hang on the wall instead of taking up precious floor space.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have 1, 2, & 3. I mainly use an extractor (Topsider) and only drop via plug once a year or so.

#1 kinda sucks but it was cheap.
#2 I thought was great until the cap started leaking, so now it just constantly "drips" oil from the spout.
#3 I bought some 15 years ago. Main benefit is that it has a grate and it's completely open so it's hard to miss. Bad is (at least the one I have) isn't large enough capacity to completely drain the V8. Oh, and it never leaked. But quality might have changed since then..

·
Marcos
76 Posts
I own all 4.

#3 is very messy and the large cap doesn't seal well at all.
#1 I use for all-purpose draining of low low volumes of fluids, and as a basin to clean parts in
#4 I use for draining coolant into due to the large opening and the likelihood of splash. Yet it's easy to hose off clean and leave out to dry when you're all done.
#2 is my go-to for oil changes due to ease of use with the wide molded-in funnel, the large storage capacity, and the ability to cleanly hold the used oil until I can take it for proper disposal without having to transfer it to another vessel. If you're clean and careful enough, you can just wipe down the funnel area and put it right into the cargo area of your vehicle to transport it. One caveat: make absolutely sure to open the little plug by the handle when draining into, or an airlock will develop and the oil will overrun (ask me how I know)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use #1 simply because i like to see what the oil looks like clearly and then I get to wipe it out with my old shirts to keep my closet clean. It also has a wider open top so when the oil squirts out and on other cars the oil filter, I eliminate the mess.
TomK

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Number 1 can cause a mess, if you aren't careful. I use a pan that is close to number 3. It's easiest to use, because you drain oil into it directly and empty it simply by opening the cap. It looks like this:
Mine is similar to this one and #3, only bigger with a pour cap only on the top side by the handle. It holds about 20 quarts so I don't need to empty is after an oil change. It also has a small vent cap which allows the air to escape when the oil is draining into it.
I prefer to go under the car to inspect the lower side to catch possible problems before they become big problems.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I originally had #4...then went to #2 a few years ago due to the convenience of being able to seal it up and transport without having to transfer the used oil to a container that can be sealed.

As others mentioned...#2 makes it easy if the plug drops...you don't have to dig it out of "soup"...and as long as you open the "air plug"...the main hole doesn't plug up...and there's a place to drain excess oil from the filter, too. I also place the container in a plastic trash bag when taking it to be recycled...just in case the cap on the spot were to drip or leak.

Container #4 is now relegated to other fluids like coolant (mine is also YELLOW instead of black)...for the same reasons already given...the wide opening works great for the greater quantity of fluid drained from a coolant hose...which may not have an accurate spill point. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.