BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alrighty, so im not THAT frustrated, but still annoyed. I installed the OEM alarm (thank you www.my330i.com) and went to the dealer to have it programmed (including both of my keys with specific key settings).

first of all, they had almost no idea what i was talking about (except one guy who is a really good tech, and also said hes never had someone ask him for all the settings i wanted lol) so at first it seemed ok, but i read somewhere that you have to ask to have the motion sensor activated, so before leaving the shop i tested it out, only to find out it wasn't set. so then the tech tells me that it has to be programmed since its a retrofit. no problem. I chose to have the lights flash, the led flash, and the chirp for unlock and lock. sounds good so far. theres also a plethora of other options you can have. i went to the computer and its like a huge list of things (i have a copy of it which i will upload shortly, it will greatly help anyone who wants this done)

I get home, and the next day or so, when i lock it, no sound at all! every time i unlock it, it chirps twice, which its supposed to. but about 1 in 10 times does it chirp when i lock it. i tried everything, used both my keys, even used the keyhole (which u also have to ask as an option) soooooo frustrating!!! why its so random is beyond me. so i went back to the dealer and they gave me some runaround like, oh maybe your keyfob is dying (Hi $150), or maybe you don't have the right part (sorry dude, theres only one part# for the alarm for all e46's minus the convt's), then he says, well maybe you're not close enough, or maybe you installed it wrong. c'mon bro, lets be serious, the install took half hour and its prewired - anyone with a torx set and a lil bit of time can do it. oh, one other thing, if i play with it a few times, it'll stop unlocking. the tech even did it. "see, its not unlocking them right now, somethings wrong"

any ideas on why it choses to be completely random on when it wants to chirp when i lock it?

thanks in advance

·
Coupe OR Never
1,445 Posts
I have no idea on why the alarm kit is acting weird but I do have an idea why the dealer acts that way: It is because they are BMW dealer and the know the BEST... and you must know(according to them) nothing about how to plug something into a socket.

My coworker has E46 as well and he was thinking of getting the OEM kit. But when I told him that he needs to go to dealer to have it programmed, he changed his mind.
How much did they charge you for the crap work they had done if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahah its kinda funny since all you need to do is go on these forums and do research, and BAM you're an expert. I love finding out everything about my cars and its so easy thanks to all of you guys. plus i enjoy helping as much as a can, gotta give back to the community...
Since I had both of my keys programmed (honestly i have no idea why i did, but w/e) they broke the labor into 2 parts. $71.78 for the alarm activation (grrrrrr, didn't know that going into it, but again..w/e). they have to hook it up to the computer and it legitimately takes a while to program. and $17.94 for the keyfob programs

·
Registered
888 Posts
If they can do it. I am sure we can do it. (well some of us anyways)
don't they have instructions on this anywhere on this forum?

another question is... why get the OEM when you can get the clifford aftermarket with remote start and LCD monitors?

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's weird that it chirps sometimes but not others.

Before I installed mine, the lights flashed on lock/unlock, and the 'clown nose' blinked. When I installed the alarm, it didn't chirp right away. After 10 minutes or so, I tried it again and it chirps & flashes now. I did have the battery unhooked when I plugged it all in.

Had the same trouble as you with the dealer not knowing about the sensors. Ended up having to go to an indie shop for it which didn't turn out well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they can do it. I am sure we can do it. (well some of us anyways)
don't they have instructions on this anywhere on this forum?

another question is... why get the OEM when you can get the clifford aftermarket with remote start and LCD monitors?
the instructions were from www.my330i.com. they're realllllly easy to follow, and very helpful.

and i LOVE oem! and hate having multiple keys / doodads. why get aftermarket when my car is prewired for it, has a motion sensor in the headliner, and can be easily armed / disarmed with my standard key. it was $200, and im not sure how much the clifford is, but i can almost be certain its not as easy to install as the oem one is.

back to my question, anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem with my car.

I installed the OEM alarm, had it programmed for me, but only once in a blue moon will it chirp when locking the car.

It's very inconsistant and I can't figure out why it decides to chirp sometimes and not others. It's actually quite annoying, because if I'm not looking, and too far away to hear the actual lock mechanisms... I can't tell if the car has received the signal and locked. Many times I just unlock the car and lock it again to make sure.

Just like you, I always get the two-chirps when unlocking the car...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, I did want to add that unlike you I've never had any trouble getting it to unlock. The only trouble I'm having is with the locking chirp...

Interesting that we both have 2004 325xi's...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh, I did want to add that unlike you I've never had any trouble getting it to unlock. The only trouble I'm having is with the locking chirp...

Interesting that we both have 2004 325xi's...
hmmmm maybe we're on to something.... anyone else have a 2004 and have this problem? c'mon, let figure this out!

also, i dont think it could be both of our keyfobs

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have 2004 Cic with alarm installed by BMW with the SAME problem. Seems like a WinDOZE computer, rebooting the car resets it for a while. Its been happening for 4 years and the techs can't figure it out so I stopped complaining.

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,007 Posts
Mine is 2005, and I haven't yet bought the alarm kit (will DIY install then take to dealer for a bunch of programming). But, I thought I'd mention, my key remote buttons are unreliable also. The first week I used the car, the buttons RARELY worked, then I discovered the "spare" key (now main key) would hold a charge longer .. sometimes. I had to lock the car with key today 'cause the button didn't work from 2 inches away! grrrr

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I'm in the, ah, electronics business, in a way: Almost invariably when a component or system is acting intermittent there is a bad ground/earth somewhere.

At least it's the first place I'd look: During the installation were all the connections seated absolutely correctly? You may also have a pushed pin in a connector (connector "appears" correctly seated / plugged in however due to a very slight mechanical misalignment there is a pin which may not have seated correctly.

In my view this is the most likely cause of your problem, and therefore the first place I would look.

I have no idea what connections are needed for an OEM alarm but if you have access to the install guide, I'd start by tracing to every connection that was made as part of the install.

Most modern electronics either works (all ok) or does not (fuse, broken wire, etc.) so when things are intermittent it can be tricky to find the root cause and rectify it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The connections are VERY simple. When they say the car comes pre-wired they are not joking. It's just a matter of snapping the (three if I remember) components in. GETTING to the connections is the hardest part, but even that's not too bad.

I originally suspected it had something to do with the options we enabled at the time... primarily the "Arm audibly, doors/lids closed" and "Arm visually, doors/lids closed". Perhaps we should have only enabled the "Arm visually" and "Arm Audibly" options.

Regardless, it still locks the doors every time and it always gives the visual acknowledgment... it's just a pain that it only chirps some of the time (being rarely).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts