Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new scratch, swirl mark remover specifically designed for black paint. Great reviews. Bought it for a couple areas. Horrible results. Directions are simple. Product was abrasive. I will not post the company yet but I have reached out to them to make it right. I asked them for the products they may sell to make this right. X5 was washed and the supplied applying pad used. Not what I expected. Yes. It’s that bad. IMG_2853.jpg IMG_2854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
129 Posts
Get yourself some Meguiars ultra pro finishing polish and use a buffer. Hand polishing with an abrasive compound does not cause enough friction to eliminate the haze caused by the abrasive particles.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get yourself some Meguiars ultra pro finishing polish and use a buffer. Hand polishing with an abrasive compound does not cause enough friction to eliminate the haze caused by the abrasive particles.

I polished with the supplied tool. Removed haze with a microfiber cloth. Questioning the product I finished with carnuba wax.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haze does not seem to be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
What was that?
853 Posts
I bought a new scratch, swirl mark remover specifically designed for black paint. Great reviews. Bought it for a couple areas. Horrible results. Directions are simple. Product was abrasive. I will not post the company yet but I have reached out to them to make it right. I asked them for the products they may sell to make this right. X5 was washed and the supplied applying pad used. Not what I expected. Yes. It’s that bad. View attachment 897725 View attachment 897727

Let me see if I get this right. The top of the fenders had some scratches or swirl marks, but otherwise shine like hood? You applied product following instructions and result is what we see here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd say they have been painted and it's not cured correctly.

Was there colour transfer onto the pads and cloths used?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Those fender panels are plastic. Maybe that plays a role? Dunno.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me see if I get this right. The top of the fenders had some scratches or swirl marks, but otherwise shine like hood? You applied product following instructions and result is what we see here?

That’s about right. I only used it on the top of the fenders. Paint was 12 years old but this result surprised me. Completely took away the shine of the paint.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say they have been painted and it's not cured correctly.

Was there colour transfer onto the pads and cloths used?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Fenders were never painted. This is a drop of the product and applicator pad after. IMG_2861.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Question on the product,
Was it a wet sand type of product? Or something similar?

Asking as there are products in the market where they are intended to be abrasive enough to get the scratches out, then one continues to use less and less abrasive passes to get the finish back to a high gloss. Any chance you are at the first step of one of those processes?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Question on the product,
Was it a wet sand type of product? Or something similar?

Asking as there are products in the market where they are intended to be abrasive enough to get the scratches out, then one continues to use less and less abrasive passes to get the finish back to a high gloss. Any chance you are at the first step of one of those processes?

No. This was the simplest of directions scratch and swirl mark remover. Apply to pad, apply to painted surface in circular motions in the shade. Buffer or provided pad can be used. Remove haze with microfiber towel. Can’t get much simpler.

No warnings. No true description of abrasiveness. I have used scratch removers before but did not have these horrrible results.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,933 Posts
So what objective descriptions of abrasiveness might be helpful? I believe that there are two only, grit and hardness. How fine a filter will pass the abrasive material, and how hard is the stuff it is made from.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what objective descriptions of abrasiveness might be helpful? I believe that there are two only, grit and hardness. How fine a filter will pass the abrasive material, and how hard is the stuff it is made from.

I don’t think a description of abrasiveness would help. This product came with zero warnings.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m going back and forth through email with one of their reps. Haven’t gotten very far yet. Took a little while for them to understand that the pictures I sent was AFTER using their product and not before.

·
What was that?
853 Posts
I’m going back and forth through email with one of their reps. Haven’t gotten very far yet. Took a little while for them to understand that the pictures I sent was AFTER using their product and not before.

LOL - I can imagine. It would be great to have a before picture...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL - I can imagine. It would be great to have a before picture...

I sent them a whole vehicle shot. I may have to do it myself but I would hope they would at least send the needed products to improve it. If it even can be improved.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Monday afternoon quarter back here, could you have possibly taken most all the clear coat off the fender tops? I assumed from picture that you masked off hood and oblique portions of fenderS.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Monday afternoon quarter back here, could you have possibly taken most all the clear coat off the fender tops? I assumed from picture that you masked off hood and oblique portions of fenderS.

I didn’t mask anything off. I’m just careful only to hit the top of the fenders. My concern is that the product ate through the remaining clear coat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts