BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I have a 9 button OBC (88 325ic). After reading several threads on here, I managed to get my hands behind the computer, and rotate "the switch." It was very painful on the hands. However, I moved the little arrow with a flathead screwdriver 90 degrees, so that it faces the driver side. Put the fuse back in, and guess what.... IT'S STILL METRIC!

My wife swears it used to read F instead of celsius, and mph rather than kilometers per hour... Any advice? I did try to hit avg-mph and then toggle the little button... nothing :tsk:

Any and all help is appreciated. This was not a problem on my 89 325ix... computer was broken... funny that that was less stressful than this!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Heres how you do it on a twelve button...To change the OBC from metric to US units, press the AVG MPG button, and then press the changeover contact button (that little hole in the right hand corner...use a finishing nail or ballpoint pen) If you press the changeover button several times, the display will cycle between L:eek:o----MPG, and----M/G. The L:OO is for liters per hundred kilometers..MPG is US, and M/G is British Imperial Gallons ...In either the MPG or M/G modes the OBC displays all data in English units...miles...gallons...temp in degrees F and the clock is in 12 hour mode.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres how you do it on a twelve button...To change the OBC from metric to US units, press the AVG MPG button, and then press the changeover contact button (that little hole in the right hand corner...use a finishing nail or ballpoint pen) If you press the changeover button several times, the display will cycle between L:eek:o----MPG, and----M/G. The L:OO is for liters per hundred kilometers..MPG is US, and M/G is British Imperial Gallons ...In either the MPG or M/G modes the OBC displays all data in English units...miles...gallons...temp in degrees F and the clock is in 12 hour mode.
Yeah, I think there may be a problem... do you keep the avg mpg button depressed while pushing the small button? Do I have to keep the small button depressed for a while for it to change over? Your instructions mirror my owners manual, but I think the computer is "owning" me so to speak.... i.e. I think the unit may be faulty in this regard, but that would be bizarre, as it is otherwise perfect. Sorry for the detailed questions, I just want this to work :bawling:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
1st, press the AVG MPG button...while you've got that pressed..prsee the changeover contact button...each time you press the chngeover button that's when the cycle between Liters and MPG will begin. When you hit the one you want...let go of both buttons. This is for a 12 button computer though...so it may not be the same for you. I just checked. I keep saying 12 button...but it's really only 9 with the 4 small number buttons on the bottom.

·
Too new to know better
27 Posts
1st, press the AVG MPG button...while you've got that pressed..prsee the changeover contact button...each time you press the chngeover button that's when the cycle between Liters and MPG will begin. When you hit the one you want...let go of both buttons. This is for a 12 button computer though...so it may not be the same for you. I just checked. I keep saying 12 button...but it's really only 9 with the 4 small number buttons on the bottom.
This is how it works on my 87 325 as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your directions and those mirrored in the manual were both very clear. The mistake was my own, as I mistook the avg mph button for the avg mpg button. I need my own manual :tsk: Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just came across this thread. I don't know if you're still monitoring this site but my OBC won't switch. Followed your instructions to a tee but it won't change. Any other ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts