BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several of the discussions on this board and on several other boards about trying to fix a difficult to read on board computer display. I changed out the bulbs and it fixed my clock and date to where they are very clear and easy to read.

However, changing the bulbs did not fix the main part of the display. I can see some change when pressing different buttons, but it is not legible at all. Is this something that can be fixed, or do I need to shell out the $100 or so to buy a new onboard computer?

If I just need to buy the new computer, I have the old 11 button version, is it worth the hassle to upgrade to the 18 button version?

Thanks for the help!

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
There IS a DIY for actually repairing the pixel display. It's VERY involved but it is possible.

Best bet is to swap another unit, but if you search hard enough you'll come across the pixel repair DIY and if you want to really dive in deep, go for it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
like said, there is a DIY to fix this LCD display issue. It's a common fault, easier to get just the 18 button unit. If you are up for it though, look up the DIY on fixing it by using search button. It is basically involving taking the unit apart, and putting a piece of tape to press the panels together so that the **** shows up on it. In a nutshell. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
LCD display completely out

Hey Family,

I think I'm in the same predicament. My wife has a 1998 740IL and the LCD is completely out. We change all of the bulbs and nothing. Spoke with one guy and the he says the onboard computer needs to be replaced at an easy $1100 for just the part. Is this accurate. Help??? We owed this car for 3 years and love it, but after spending about 7K so far this year the straws are getting very heavy.

Thanks,

kj

·
Registered
797 Posts
if you dont really need it then you can probably wait until say next year or until a time when you want to spend the cash on it and it wont be such a strain.

But for a 7 series might be better to goto the 7 series forums

·
Make your own Luck
1,814 Posts
Don't worry son. I got you ...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457171

That will solve all your problems. I tried doing this last week, but didn't have a small enough to remove this certain tool. (you'll see what im talking about ) So I just left it, but its very thoroughly explained with pictures. :thumbup: I just end up replacing the clock bulb haha.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Hey Family,

I think I'm in the same predicament. My wife has a 1998 740IL and the LCD is completely out. We change all of the bulbs and nothing. Spoke with one guy and the he says the onboard computer needs to be replaced at an easy $1100 for just the part. Is this accurate. Help??? We owed this car for 3 years and love it, but after spending about 7K so far this year the straws are getting very heavy.

Thanks,

kj
Hi KJ,

Which part is out? The radio display or the instrument panel display? On E38s, the radio/computer is one part and would be expensive to buy new, but you can find them used for much less I'm sure.

If it's the instrument cluster LCD display, it's a VERY common problem on E38/E39/E53s. You can bug BMWNA about it and likely get it replaced for just the cost of labor (one hour, usually).

Don't worry son. I got you ...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457171

That will solve all your problems. I tried doing this last week, but didn't have a small enough to remove this certain tool. (you'll see what im talking about ) So I just left it, but its very thoroughly explained with pictures. :thumbup: I just end up replacing the clock bulb haha.
^That's only for E36s. The OP is long ago, and this guy has an E38.

·
Make your own Luck
1,814 Posts
Hi KJ,

^That's only for E36s. The OP is long ago, and this guy has an E38.
Wow I need to look at dates more....and why would someone bring this back up from the deadz anyway? :confused:

Well he still had the same exact OBC is a I did so it helped me. :p

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have seen several of the discussions on this board and on several other boards about trying to fix a difficult to read on board computer display. I changed out the bulbs and it fixed my clock and date to where they are very clear and easy to read.

However, changing the bulbs did not fix the main part of the display. I can see some change when pressing different buttons, but it is not legible at all. Is this something that can be fixed, or do I need to shell out the $100 or so to buy a new onboard computer?

If I just need to buy the new computer, I have the old 11 button version, is it worth the hassle to upgrade to the 18 button version?

Thanks for the help!
There is a guy in CA who can repair the computer for you. I've seen some good results. Contact them. GermanAudioTech

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390408068908

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anyone done the OBC repair with the double stick tape, etc? One a scale of 1-10, how difficult? Was it worth it?
I did the capacitor replacement for the heater/ac unit (below the radio) when it fried, and that wasn't horrible AND for .10 has been solid for 1 year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
11 button

I have an 11 button obc that is half dead***128527;... Why are they so uncommon (11 button)... I would do the 18 button conversion but can't find anyone willing to do it... I'm slowly fixing the interior of my 1996 328i and I am now working on the radio area... Thought about putting an original radio back in but they are so expensive plus I think I would like something with Bluetooth any recommendations?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Has anyone done the OBC repair with the double stick tape, etc? One a scale of 1-10, how difficult? Was it worth it?
I did the capacitor replacement for the heater/ac unit (below the radio) when it fried, and that wasn't horrible AND for .10 has been solid for 1 year!
I did the repair and it was not that difficult for me at least. Just make sure you get the right tape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts