BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

On Bord Computers

1283 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  drivinfaster
Can I use the computers out of a 92 325 I in a 94 325 I if I have them flashed ?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Are you referring to the on-board computer, or the DME?
depends, are you windows or mac?? :dunno:

:angel:
df
What df said. The early E36s use a Linux based OS, while later models were switched to windows 98. To do a linux to windows conversion, you have to remove all the wiring for the linux and remove the CPU, and replace it with lots more wiring, and a much larger CPU. Some say its not really worth it, but if you like flash applications, windows runs it so much smoother! Just make sure not to put more than 3 or 4 in, otherwise the whole system will get laggy, and become a frustrating experience when trying to do anything.

And no, there are no p[]rn apps for windows 98...

:angel:
Yes, there were.

Does no one here remember ASCII?
Hey Chad, didn't you go from Windows to Linux because it was easier to tune for your forced nitros induction plutonium dipped engine internals build? or am I thinking of someone else?.
I went from Windoze to Linux because Linux is far superior.
No, I ditched both systems all together. Win98 wasnt cutting it. I went with full standalone Windows XP Home manager system. This one doesnt freeze up and leave my nitro valve stuck open at WOT. That was some crazy shiz...good thing my engine can rev to 14k...
Hey Chad, didn't you go from Windows to Linux because it was easier to tune for your forced nitros induction plutonium dipped engine internals build? or am I thinking of someone else?.
Sweet, did you ever work out the issues with running both turbos and super chargers on the same engine?.
Yeah. I guess you cant use one turbo to spool the other. The plan was have one turbo spool via exhaust gasses, then use that turbo pressure to spool the second turbo, so I would have almost no lag. The supercharger worked just fine, I also figured out you cant substitute nitro meth with diesel fuel. Who would have thought.
You guys are terrible. ;) :rofl:

OP, no. You don't flash OBDI computers. And they aren't interchangeable.
sorry, we kinda get a bit carried away...:angel:

troof to obd1 computers not being flashed, but i thought compatability was based on the label color & #?? (red label 413 and all...:dunno:)

unless the op is talking about the obc center display. then there are retros for an 18 button upgrade, if i am not mistaken. (i already haz 18 buttons, so never did one...)

soooo many questions....but i did not know that about nitro meth & diesel fuel...:eeps:

:p
df
You guys are terrible. ;) :rofl:

OP, no. You don't flash OBDI computers. And they aren't interchangeable.
Well, maybe I should clairfy: The DMEs aren't interchangeable as in take any one and swap with any other. Label color is the deciding factor, and even those can be swapped with a different color, but some wiring has to be modded for them to work MOST of the time.

If it's the OBC he's asking about (see how he's buggered off now with all the foolishness going on? :nono: :rofl:) there are DIYs to do that. I bought an 18 button OBC, but haven't gotten the gumption together to tackle the retrofit. It's a major job. Be glad you have one OEM, df!
I'm still confused about the title. On Bord(eaux) Computers? I thought the Bordeaux region made wine?

:dunno:
You know these cars do exist :dunno:

http://www.examiner.com/sports-car-in-tampa-bay/twin-turbo-twin-supercharged-nissan-skyline-gt-r

Just sayin :angel:
Sweet, did you ever work out the issues with running both turbos and super chargers on the same engine?.
I didn't see any reason why it couldn't be done, just figured it would be a bitch to tune.
^ Lmao I could only imagine that tuning and maintenance is a B****, I would never have the patience to deal with the upkeep....
yes, they do. but they're a bit snobby about it. i'll take an aussi shiraz any day...:thumbup:

I'm still confused about the title. On Bord(eaux) Computers? I thought the Bordeaux region made wine?

:dunno:
I didn't see any reason why it couldn't be done, just figured it would be a bitch to tune.
most likely...

^ Lmao I could only imagine that tuning and maintenance is a B****, I would never have the patience to deal with the upkeep....
bt then there's still gonna be someone faster than you in the end...:eek:

:D
df
Aussie shiraz/syrah is disgusting. There's a huge tariff on that wine to get into the US. Even with those taxes, they're still about $5 per bottle. What are they making this crap with to be so cheap!?

Buy local wine. Small wineries make great hand crafted wines that are superb in quality and low in price compared to wines of the same quality from the big boys (Think Gallo and their numerous brands).
yes, they do. but they're a bit snobby about it. i'll take an aussi shiraz any day...:thumbup:

most likely...

bt then there's still gonna be someone faster than you in the end...:eek:

:D
df
i'd love to discuss wines, but that'll just de-rail this thread, so i'll carry on in the ot thread. :D

that's one way to get my post count up...:angel:
df
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.