BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I will confess I routinely enjoy breaking the laws of traffic established by the righteous government of the USA. My quesiton is, over 120 mph my 535xi occasionally seeems to shift the ass end ledt to right a bit, even int he absence of winds. This also occasionally occurs at about 85-90 pmh, and has me besise myself with grief, as I expect my machine to behave as an autobahn-ready BMW.

Does anyone else notice any similar events? my car has about 1300 miles, new tires, etc-and this is done on dry pavement. I wonder if the all wheel system has a role here.

Thnaks in advance and happy speeding....

·
Work Smarter - NOT Harder
559 Posts
i wont say where but with winter sport 3d dunlop tires i was at 260km/h with no sway. in the summer i did similar speeds with bridgestone potenza tires and never noticed any sway.

are your tires properly inflated? ballanced?

·
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle
341 Posts
Here are a couple possible causes:

1) Tire pressure: are tires set to the correct pressure? Any uneven pressure in the front or rear tires might cause instability at high speeds. Also, for speeds > 100mph, the pressure settings should be higher than normal (look on the door sticker).

2) Suspension: the 535i w/ sport package could have a stiffer and lower suspension than the xdrive version, which could make the car more stable at high speeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No vibration, just a bizarre sense of rear instability.

Tires are new, at adequate pressure...33 and 36

Curious how fast some of you have taken your machines.....I hear the 535xi is stable even at 150 mph

·
I need a drink
2,076 Posts
stable at 150 is perspective, but you should be fine.

I was thinking you might have had someone stand on your lug nuts to tighten them (little warp) but you would get a lot of vibration.

Car had any frame work? All I can think of is all 4 are not pointed in the exact same direction.

How good do you feel about the balance and alignment? In the South East I take my car to bulter tire and they do a high speed where as other shops do not.

I have gon to the governer in my 3 and it felt like it was going to explode but I also drive a 325 now, I am saving my pennies for super car, so nothing fancy right now.

·
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle
341 Posts
No vibration, just a bizarre sense of rear instability.

Tires are new, at adequate pressure...33 and 36
That is strange... my car feels more stable the faster I drive it... it feels "pushed to the ground" and heavier to steer and when changing lanes it feels like I'm moving on a rail... I think this definitely has something to do with the sport suspension and active roll stabilization that come in the sport package...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hello all. I will confess I routinely enjoy breaking the laws of traffic established by the righteous government of the USA. My quesiton is, over 120 mph my 535xi occasionally seeems to shift the ass end ledt to right a bit, even int he absence of winds. This also occasionally occurs at about 85-90 pmh, and has me besise myself with grief, as I expect my machine to behave as an autobahn-ready BMW.

Does anyone else notice any similar events? my car has about 1300 miles, new tires, etc-and this is done on dry pavement. I wonder if the all wheel system has a role here.

Thnaks in advance and happy speeding....
My 535xi is relatively new (14 months) and it has seen speeds in excess of that on both winter and summer tires with absolulely no problems. Tracks straight and true. Don't think it's the xDrive doing it.

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
Curious how fast some of you have taken your machines.....I hear the 535xi is stable even at 150 mph
Drove my 550i to the limiter on the autobahn last July - stable as ever, and no complaints from the powerplant.

Between 110 and 130 mph is the E60's real sweet spot. It holds the road beautifully, you're still in the power band so you can accelerate with authority, wind noise isn't too bad, and the car, literally, seems "happy".

At >145, you can start to tell that you're going really freaking fast, but the car still behaves beautifully. Didn't feel any worse north of 150 than in any other car I've driven over 70. Just a completely different kind of engineering and feeling.

BMWs really are made to go fast.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My 535xi is relatively new (14 months) and it has seen speeds in excess of that on both winter and summer tires with absolulely no problems. Tracks straight and true. Don't think it's the xDrive doing it.
Agree wholeheartedly, I have had my 535xi over 130 with the summer Dunlops and over 115 with the winter set up, and the car feels great, solid , no vibration, just a little sunroof wind noise, it really likes the 80-90 range on the highway.:thumbup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Stability at high speed depends on the car and road conditions. A Passat tdi is stable on the autobahn at 130+ mph. I would not drive my 535 in NJ at 100 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts