BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are talking about the latest Roundel issue, did you guys read that letter from a 2000 323i owner who got a steering wheel retrofit? How and why?

:dunno:
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
I saw that too. Obviously the person is an idiot.
 
G

·
First let me say that I have no idea. But there is one scenario under which it *might* be legit.

The 2001 330s started production in June of 2000. The 2001 325s didn't start production until September. There were three months of 323s produced after the first 330.

I can attest that the first 330s (June build) had the light steering (I had one) and that even the owners manual for my 330 had the 330 and 323 listed on the cover.

There is a chance that *those* 323s also got the light steering.

But I have no idea if they did. And I suspect BMWNA has no idea either.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
TD said:
First let me say that I have no idea. But there is one scenario under which it *might* be legit.

The 2001 330s started production in June of 2000. The 2001 325s didn't start production until September. There were three months of 323s produced after the first 330.

I can attest that the first 330s (June build) had the light steering (I had one) and that even the owners manual for my 330 had the 330 and 323 listed on the cover.

There is a chance that *those* 323s also got the light steering.

But I have no idea if they did. And I suspect BMWNA has no idea either.
they did have the light steering, I think the 323 was built all the way through July, or mayb even later. I remember this from the .org
 
G

·
nate328Ci said:


they did have the light steering, I think the 323 was built all the way through July, or mayb even later. I remember this from the .org
As I said, the 323 was built through the end of August meaning 3 months of 323 production *could* have the light steering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TD said:

There is a chance that *those* 323s also got the light steering.

But I have no idea if they did. And I suspect BMWNA has no idea either.
If true, then that may be the most rare E46 model, along with the 323Cic :D

Hey Hack, which month was your 323Ci built?
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
DaveN323i said:


If true, then that may be the most rare E46 model, along with the 323Cic :D

Hey Hack, which month was your 323Ci built?
February (week 9) for the blue one, late April (week 18) for the red one.

The red one was one of the last few Ci's built with the original steering, since Ci production is much lighter and the good steering ended in May. :D
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:


February (week 9) for the blue one, late April (week 18) for the red one.

The red one was one of the last few Ci's built with the original steering, since Ci production is much lighter and the good steering ended in May. :D
You got some late models :thumbup:

My 328Ci's were July '99 and Oct '99 :thumbup:
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:


You got some late models :thumbup:

My 328Ci's were July '99 and Oct '99 :thumbup:
Sorta got lucky...All the big bugs were worked out by September 99 (brake shimmy..etc and all auto tranny upgraded to step) and my lease on the Z3 was ending in June of 2000, so I placed my order in December of 1999 because I wanted to get everything out of the way before the wedding. :dunno:

All worked out well. I got two of the most solidly built 323Ci's in the whole wide world. No squeaks or rattles (or I just ignore them), no electrical problems, no mechanical problems, no DBW, no light steering...etc. Carma at work once again. :D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top