BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I own a 07 525xi. LOVE the E60 style. I have been looking around and scratching my head wondering if I should look into a 2010 550i or 2010 535i/xi. I want to play around and do some performance mods and also tune (jb4) or if anyone has any better tune suggestions. But judt really looking for some input. I'm looking Looking to spend up to 20k cash. Been looking on autotrader and stuff like that and seen some REALLY nice 550is in California but I'm in CT not sure how well that would work lol. I'm willing to fly to Florida to purchase of everything is what I'm looking for and is solid. S9 out of state buying isnt out of question. But let me know if I'm crazy or of ots something to look more into.. thanks...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,947 Posts
I had a 530xi. I searched around a bit for other cars and settled on another E60 because of my particular requirements: AWD and 400+HP. The E60 is still the best fit. But I wanted a more powerful engine so I traded up slightly, shaving 100,000 km off the odometer in the process. Cost-wise, it was not the best way to spend my money.

I say go for it, if you can find one that has been well maintained. Otherwise it might not be worth the cost/headache to switch to such a similar car. Spec out exactly what you want and don't settle. If you don't find it, keep your current car, which is presumably maintained and running well.

Some things to consider would be exactly what options you want the car to have, being familiar with the chassis. For example, xi is great to have in winter, but you can't get AWD and any performance options like dynamic drive or decent sized brakes.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 530xi. I searched around a bit for other cars and settled on another E60 because of my particular requirements: AWD and 400+HP. The E60 is still the best fit. But I wanted a more powerful engine so I traded up slightly, shaving 100,000 km off the odometer in the process. Cost-wise, it was not the best way to spend my money.

I say go for it, if you can find one that has been well maintained. Otherwise it might not be worth the cost/headache to switch to such a similar car. Spec out exactly what you want and don't settle. If you don't find it, keep your current car, which is presumably maintained and running well.

Some things to consider would be exactly what options you want the car to have, being familiar with the chassis. For example, xi is great to have in winter, but you can't get AWD and any performance options like dynamic drive or decent sized brakes.
Yeah I have 525xi now. And where I work here in CT if it snows I'm in work hours before it starts and dont leave till roads are clear and dry so not really driving much in snow. I'm tossed up really between 3 different vehicles. 535/550 BMW, B8.5 Audi S4, and 2016+ Cadillac ATS-V

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Have you looked at the F10? Find one with ARS and Active Steering and it's a lot of fun to drive. Plenty of late model F10s in your price range.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked at the F10? Find one with ARS and Active Steering and it's a lot of fun to drive. Plenty of late model F10s in your price range.
Yeah the F10 535 and 550 I have looked. Plus I can use my carly and cable for any coding and diagnostic stuff.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're in CT I don't know why you'd have trouble finding a car.. the e60's are a dime a dozen here.. you just have to find the right one. Also if you're looking to spend even up to 20K you should go up to the F10 just for the age, and new idrive. However, if you're looking for more power and coding abilities, then stick with the E60. Finding an m-sport model is pretty tough, but a 535xi is probably what you'd like. You could just stay with a 550, but the 535 has more tuning and power capabilities in the long run. It just depends on what will make you feel happier in an engine.

If you can, look for as many options as you can, which will be harder on an e60. With an F10 you should be able to look for comfort access, HUD, and lane departure (which is not as common here in the NE). Winter package is a must must or you're wasting your money :)

I was joking with my friend to buy my E60 off of me for 10K instead of dropping 16K for his F10 (which is a good deal). And he sort of wishes he did.. his comfort access is acting up, had a bunch of fuel evap codes and a loose steering wheel. As with all BMW's you get lucky sometimes and.. sometimes you don't. The N54 will make more power than the F10's N55 engine with similar mods.

Good luck!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're in CT I don't know why you'd have trouble finding a car.. the e60's are a dime a dozen here.. you just have to find the right one. Also if you're looking to spend even up to 20K you should go up to the F10 just for the age, and new idrive. However, if you're looking for more power and coding abilities, then stick with the E60. Finding an m-sport model is pretty tough, but a 535xi is probably what you'd like. You could just stay with a 550, but the 535 has more tuning and power capabilities in the long run. It just depends on what will make you feel happier in an engine.

If you can, look for as many options as you can, which will be harder on an e60. With an F10 you should be able to look for comfort access, HUD, and lane departure (which is not as common here in the NE). Winter package is a must must or you're wasting your money :)

I was joking with my friend to buy my E60 off of me for 10K instead of dropping 16K for his F10 (which is a good deal). And he sort of wishes he did.. his comfort access is acting up, had a bunch of fuel evap codes and a loose steering wheel. As with all BMW's you get lucky sometimes and.. sometimes you don't. The N54 will make more power than the F10's N55 engine with similar mods.

Good luck!
Yeah I have found many. I mean the F10 535 I have seen power gains up to 550hp with just bolt ons and jb4. But I'm kinda leaning towards the ATS-V IF I can find the options I'm looking for. I have yet to seen one on the roads around here. I love my E60 just wish I went the 535xi when I was looking 4 years ago. But it was a one owner and was traded in then sold at auction all maintenance records from same dealership all the time. The only downfall was the 100k maintenance wasnt done. I purchased at 90k miles so I have done the water pump tstat brakes all around oil filter housing and cooling gasket and front suspension. And just last week for first time I had to bring to my mechanic because I thought a rod or rocker was messed up ended up being the AC compressor. So getting that back tomorrow and he went and checked everything else and he said should be no issue getting another 100k out of the car. This summer I plan on doing valve cover gasket. And then hand the keys down to my 16 year old lol..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts