Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just looking for some input.

I had my 325 at the dealer to fix a speaker issue. I've driven the car fairly aggressive at times since I bought it and noticed the oil change mileage went from 15k slowly down to 9000miles. I took the car in at around 9200 miles to get the speaker fixed and told my service rep about the oil change. He looked perplexed and said "oh well its not due until 15k miles" and I said "well I thought the bmw computer adjusted the due mileage based on driving habits and it says 9000 miles" He dismissed this notion and said "well your due for a software update so its probably just a software bug making it say 9000"

THEN he proceded to say "the oil change mileage actually means thats how many miles you HAVE LEFT to oil change"

I said "thats not right because that would put my oil change over 18k miles!" Anyway, when I went to pick up car they had NOT done the oil change saying "service not due" The onboard computer still says 9000miles for oil change and I'm at 10700 now. Is there some sort of reference I can show the guy to get my oil change free or should I call BMWNA or what?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
yeah, it's miles LEFT till service

you've got some time to wait.

most cars are putting the oil change interval in the 17-20 thousand mile range

there is no way you have driven the car so aggressively that it needs it's oil changed in half the miles of everybody else.

your dealer is not trying to rip you off

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Your dealer is right. The OBC will adjust the service interval based on use patterns. The number displayed is how many miles until that service. It seems to be a bit more drastic in adjustments than the e46, which used to essentially count down until service, but the idea is the same.

That having been said, there is a time interval too... this is in i-drive, which I'll have to go look at on my way home, but should not be more than a year in service.

Oh, and some here would say that for 90 bucks, an unscheduled oil change is welcome peace of mind...I'm not one of them, but here they come...:eeps:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Just talked to the dealer and he said the same thing. Apparently, the e90 doesnt count the mileage down exactly and it jumps the numbers down in bigger increments the closer you get to change so thats why its still saying 9k miles

·
Registered
643 Posts
I noticed that my OBC jumps down in 1000 increments... At first is said 17,000.. followed by 16,000 then 14,000 (puts my total mileage @ 20,000)

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
daoushy said:
I noticed that my OBC jumps down in 1000 increments... At first is said 17,000.. followed by 16,000 then 14,000 (puts my total mileage @ 20,000)
Interesting. In the e46, it used the number of gallons consumed to determine the interval. I wonder if they've changed the algorithm?

·
Registered
643 Posts
robg said:
Interesting. In the e46, it used the number of gallons consumed to determine the interval. I wonder if they've changed the algorithm?
I read in one post a while ago that now it actually TEST the quality of the oil to determine if it is time to change...

Something around testing the electric resistance of the oil or so.

Not sure if that is true or not. But it sounds doable and makes sense to me.

·
E90 325i
160 Posts
I made my first oil change at about 3300 miles, after break in. Paid the 90 bucks. Now it continues to read 10,000 miles to change, and current mileage is 11,200.

·
Registered
116 Posts
uh... that can't be right... i have almost 9k mi on my car right now and it says service 10k with a date of 03/06. how can the computer anticipate that i drive 10k mi in a little over one month when i managed 9k in 6.5? i still think that it's 10k mi for 1st service, unless someone can point me to a page in the manual that says otherwise!

·
Registered
643 Posts
evangellydonut said:
uh... that can't be right... i have almost 9k mi on my car right now and it says service 10k with a date of 03/06. how can the computer anticipate that i drive 10k mi in a little over one month when i managed 9k in 6.5? i still think that it's 10k mi for 1st service, unless someone can point me to a page in the manual that says otherwise!
Its EITHER 10K more miles or by 3/6 whichever comes first.. I think...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Holy cow! Why do you guys keep saying 90 bucks for an oil change? I'm about to buy one of these cars. Can't I get it done for $20 somewhere, or change it myself for $10?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
If you wait until one year after your in service date, they will change the oil. The Maintenance manual stipulates this, so just wait for your one year anniversary and get your free oil change even if you have 9k miles to go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
daoushy said:
Wow. Dont think I could stand a 20k oil change interval if I were keeping the car. If its a lease I guess I wouldnt but WOW. Our X5's is about 14-15. :dunno:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Munich2006 said:
Holy cow! Why do you guys keep saying 90 bucks for an oil change? I'm about to buy one of these cars. Can't I get it done for $20 somewhere, or change it myself for $10?
You could get it done for $20 at a quick lube type of place, but it is not recommended. They will not be using BMW spec synthetic oil, or a BMW filter, at that price. You can buy those yourself, and pay them to do it, but then you will be close to the dealer oil change price, so most people just use the dealer. You can do it yourself with the proper oil and filter if you like, entirely up to you. Realize that it is 8 litres of fully sythetic oil, plus filter.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Munich2006 said:
I buy Mobil One oil myself, @ wholesale (about $3.00 a quart) and the oil filter
($5 or $6 w/BMWCCA discount or from a wholesale parts dept.).

I bring all of this to a local gas station down the street & they charge me $10.

Total cost : A little under $40. Go figure.

·
Registered
253 Posts
RichReg said:
I buy Mobil One oil myself, @ wholesale (about $3.00 a quart) and the oil filter
($5 or $6 w/BMWCCA discount or from a wholesale parts dept.).

I bring all of this to a local gas station down the street & they charge me $10.

Total cost : A little under $40. Go figure.
You're listed auto is a 2006 330i which has included BMW maintenance (at the intervals BMW sets) for several years.

Is the Mobil One oil change you're covering for a different car, or is that what you plan for this car to give you an intervening oil change between the approximately 15K miles of BMW's scheduled maintenance?

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
Getting the dealer to change the oil for free halfway through "recommended" service intervals is seldom successful. Those of us who want to change the oil more frequently must do so on our own dime...$40-50 isn't a steep price to pay, though.

My 323i will have been out of maintenance warranty for three years come April, so I'm more than used to paying for my own oil changes by now. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
richyz said:
You're listed auto is a 2006 330i which has included BMW maintenance (at the intervals BMW sets) for several years.

Is the Mobil One oil change you're covering for a different car, or is that what you plan for this car to give you an intervening oil change between the approximately 15K miles of BMW's scheduled maintenance?
Its actually for both my 323Ci and my '06 330i.:D

But yes, for the 330 I decided to do my own oil change in between the one year maintenance period (approx. 7000 miles). I didn't want to wait, and akhbhaat is right; unless you negotiated a 6 month initial oil change when you purchased the car, asking for one is seldom successful. Sometimes, if you've brought your vehicle in for some major warranty issue early on, the dealer may throw it in as a courtesy. But you'd still have to ask.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't believe in 12K-20K miles oil changes. For few bucks I do oil changes every 6K mile with synthetic on my E39 and wifes E90. I just did the first one on the E90 at 5964 miles and the oil was black, new iol is honey golden.

New filter and 7 quarts Mobile1 5W-30 oil about $40 and 45 minutes in my garage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts