BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you use the onboard Internet access? .. I got the Professional navigation sys and using iPhone 3GS via Bluetooth.

Do you still need another service from BMW for that to work?

Thanks

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
If it's implemented, it would have to be over the cellular network (e.g. VZW, AT&T Wireless, etc.), not WIFI, which is not really designed for mobility and graceful/soft handover.

That question aside, why would you want full-time access to the Internet? It's another driver distraction we don't need with ever-increasing multi-tasking drivers, who pay more attention to the toys than the actual act of driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's implemented, it would have to be over the cellular network (e.g. VZW, AT&T Wireless, etc.), not WIFI, which is not really designed for mobility and graceful/soft handover.

That question aside, why would you want full-time access to the Internet? It's another driver distraction we don't need with ever-increasing multi-tasking drivers, who pay more attention to the toys than the actual act of driving.
It can be useful when I need quick info from the web fast. And as far as I know it only works while the car is stationary.

Not sure why I still need to pay BMW when I'm uisng my own cellular network (3G/E)!

·
Registered
179 Posts
You get Google search access only plus some news/sports/stock stuff. It uses a built in cell phone in the car. I heard it was AT&T but only used Edge and not 3G. I suppose the $199 is to pay that cell phone bill as it accesses the BMW server.

It does not use your cell phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.