BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project is virtually wrapped up now; the only item holding out is a Rogue differential cover, and AndyM had informed me earlier today that Rogue is (at long last) ready to ship them out! Now if the cover will arrive at least two (2) hours before the transporter, we'll be all set!

Compared to when it arrived wearing a Dinan/Vortech supercharger, there is now a lot more room in the engine compartment. Relocated power steering cooler and shallower SPAL electric fan allow room for an air to air intercooler.

Showing off its Shrick manifold, S-54 oil filter housing w/factory lines and an aluminum Zionsville radiator (with the factory oil cooler mounted to it).

Relocated 3-1/2" HFM and water injection pump reservoir. The pump is mounted underneath the tank.

The gray car (2001) watches in envy as the horsepower marches right past it...

The black car (1999) is anxiously awaiting fitment of the discarded Dinan/Vortech supercharger package (only used for 2k miles on the red car).

Low angle shot spotlighting the intercooler and fresh Minnesota tags (sent via NDA so I could do some __legal__road testing).

The Active Autowerkes Stg II turbo package (turbo is barely visible under right side of engine) is supposed to be good for 450 BHP (crankshaft) and the M-50 type manifold reputedly adds 40 more to that. Well, numbers be damned; this thing is ONE AWESOME Coupe!

For a play by play build up, click this link.

The next car due to arrive is another supercharged Coupe. I wonder if he's interested in getting a little more horsepower...? :angel:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wow!

Did you say 450 horsepower?? So, is the car still pretty driveable without wheelspinning? Just out of curiosity, how much hp and torque could you get out of a 99 2.8 (193hp) without too many adjustments? Does it shorten the lifespan of the engine?

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Nice.

Did you do much road testing? I'm curious to find out how noticeable any boost lag is compared to the supercharger. What turbo trim does AA use in their kit?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bol said:
Nice.

Did you do much road testing? I'm curious to find out how noticeable any boost lag is compared to the supercharger. What turbo trim does AA use in their kit?
I put around a hundred miles on it. Unfortunately, I only drove it briefly when the supercharger was fitted, so I really don't have much to go on there. The turbo does have some lag, but not too bad. Trim is .60.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luciano136 said:
Did you say 450 horsepower?? So, is the car still pretty driveable without wheelspinning? Just out of curiosity, how much hp and torque could you get out of a 99 2.8 (193hp) without too many adjustments? Does it shorten the lifespan of the engine?
Yes.
Yes, even handles stop & go traffic as well as it ever did. A ratio change to 2.93:1 helps too.
I don't know (just guessing) but I would think AA's got a suitable package for a 2.8 that could make nearly the same horsepower/torque. Their Stg I turbo pkg is probably more realistic for street driver though.
Depending on boost level and AFRs, it doesn't have to shorten engine life appreciably; your right foot will be the determining factor...

·
Registered
288 Posts
All that and no windshield washer bottle? :rofl:

Nice job Randy! Very impressive! :thumbup:

So when does the R. Forbes Service & Parts Enhancement manual come out? :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Which exhaust is on the balck car " Thrills" ?

Thrlls said:
All that and no windshield washer bottle? :rofl:

Nice job Randy! Very impressive! :thumbup:

So when does the R. Forbes Service & Parts Enhancement manual come out? :D
That exhaust looks meatier than my SuperSprint with DTM tips...looks awesome

·
Registered
288 Posts
ShifterKart Guy said:
That exhaust looks meatier than my SuperSprint with DTM tips...looks awesome
Thanks, I just love the sound... :thumbup:
Initially I was afraid it would be too loud, then when I got it, I thought it sounded a little ricey, (not what I was looking for) but after a day of heat cycles the rice has all been fried.
Now it's awesome!

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Wonderful job Randy!(m)

Sweet work on those MZ3s! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
vromano said:
Great job Randy ! I'm drooling over your'e pics. Makes me want to buy another and do turbo.
Thanks Vinny. Well, you don't have a Coupe yet, do you? ;)

And thank you Nathan! It really was a fun project. Most of the parts to do another M Coupe turbo arrived yesterday. This time it will be an AA Stg I on a 99 M Coupe...

Al, I think we should start on yours after we go out Thursday night @ HC :yikes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
Yes.
Yes, even handles stop & go traffic as well as it ever did. A ratio change to 2.93:1 helps too.
I don't know (just guessing) but I would think AA's got a suitable package for a 2.8 that could make nearly the same horsepower/torque. Their Stg I turbo pkg is probably more realistic for street driver though.
Depending on boost level and AFRs, it doesn't have to shorten engine life appreciably; your right foot will be the determining factor...
Did you have to do anything with the oe traction control?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
caylan said:
Did you have to do anything with the oe traction control?
Yes, KEEP IT TURNED ON!

I've only put a hundred miles on it, so I have left the ASC in service during my drives. Its owner, over time will acclimate to the characteristics of power delivery and probably feel comfortable turning it off.

Another consideration (for me) is that those 275/40s aren't my tires, so I don't feel comfortable burning the tread off them. Given the way the ASC light flashes, you could reduce the rear tires to mounds of rubber dust pretty easy.

For a personal reference, I didn't turn off the ASC on my 99 until I was at a practice autocross. Better to be safe than sorry ;) Nowadays, I rarely drive either car (99 or 01) with it on. :angel:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts