BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas gauge stopped working last October. Since then it has read FULL at all times except when the ignition was turned off. I have read several opinions of what causes this and how (if at all) the problem can be fixed - everything from pulling certain fuses to cutting open the area behind the passenger seat to get access to the fuel tank and sending unit. The former didn't work and the latter too draconian so for the past several months, I simply filled the tank when 100 miles came up on my trip meter (requiring that it be reset at each fill-up, of course). Yesterday, without any fanfare, the gas gauge began working again! After starting the car, the needle slowly started to come off FULL and within ten miles, read slightly more than HALF full - about what I estimated was in the tank, given I had driven about 98 city miles since my last fill-up. And, this morning when I started the car, the gauge went right to the same reading as last night. Will this good fortune remain? Who knows but it beats the hell out of ripping open the interior of the car to fix the sending unit. They say, "patience is a virtue."

·
X3: Geriatric Express
96 Posts
Similar thing happened to me. Mine would read empty or full depending on its mood. I used BG 44K in my fuel tank for two tanks, it has worked perfectly since the first can of 44K. Very happy with that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I use anything but Chevron fuel in either the coupe or 850, my gauge starts acting up in 2 tank fills. Even the VP racing fuel was making the coupe's go goofy. Not sure what BG 44K is but the Techron cleaner you can get at Chevron gas stations and Pep Boys fixed the 850's problem when I bought it with 60K on it. Just be sure to change your oil after using any gas treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts