BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have seen a number of forum members saying that adding diesel when the tank is empty and then fillung up will hwlp clean the engine...i just came from my mechanic and we discussed that. He said thay diesel will mess up the engine, but another method is adding one qt of kerosine when chamging the oil...let it run, flush the oil again then fill the oil, and thay will clean the engine of sludge....what is the est way to do this??

·
Registered
538 Posts
So i have seen a number of forum members saying that adding diesel when the tank is empty and then fillung up will hwlp clean the engine...i just came from my mechanic and we discussed that. He said thay diesel will mess up the engine, but another method is adding one qt of kerosine when chamging the oil...let it run, flush the oil again then fill the oil, and thay will clean the engine of sludge....what is the est way to do this??
That small amount to a tank full will not harm the engine. Did you ask your mechanic how "specifically" it would harm your engine? Please post his answer.
As per Roberto's suggestion, I added it to a Nissan truck which was running a bit rough and bingo, she's running nice and smooth!
As for adding kerosine to engine oil, shouldn't be harmful either. I have been adding a quart of diesel fuel to all of my vehicles prior to an oil change for the last 30yrs.
The most important aspect of this procedure in not to drive or rev the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warm up the engine, pour in a quart of diesel (make certain your oil level is where it should be), turn engine on (idle only!!!) for about 10 minutes.
Flush, change filter and add new oil. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your mechanic is an idiot.
Diesel isn't good to burn in the engine or put in the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Mind explaining in detail how it can be harmful in small quantities? Specifics please?
In the fuel it's harmful to the cats.
In the crankcase it's a very poor lubricant and a not much better solvent. A dirty crankcase is better served by frequent oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
In the fuel it's harmful to the cats.
In the crankcase it's a very poor lubricant and a not much better solvent. A dirty crankcase is better served by frequent oil and filter changes.
Hmm, all of my cars have cats including my corvette (two cats) have had this procedure done and it has never affected them. Again, we are talking about a small ratio here.
As for the crankcase, of course its a poor lubricant at 100%, again a small ratio is used. At best, it thins the oil to that of 5w - 15w oil.
We are talking idling it for 10 min. then flushing it out, not running the car with it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hmm, all of my cars have cats including my corvette (two cats) have had this procedure done and it has never affected them. Again, we are talking about a small ratio here.
As for the crankcase, of course its a poor lubricant at 100%, again a small ratio is used. At best, it thins the oil to that of 5w - 15w oil.
We are talking idling it for 10 min. then flushing it out, not running the car with it.
What are we thinking the benefit is?* An engine using detergent oil, changed regularly doesn't need any "solvent" added. The bearings will survive this no problem but deliberately diluting the oil is asking for valvetrain trouble, especially for those who advocate draining the oil then adding only 1 qt of diesel(some advocate ATF) before "treatment".
What is it going to do for the engine in the fuel? It might be considered a "top cylinder lubricant" at best. There are specific additives available for this if you desire.
This type of treatment was useful in the days of non-detergent oil, there is little reason for it today, It is potentially harmful, especially to the sliding wear surfaces such as cams/lifters, rocker arms and valve stem tips which already suffer from modern(environmently correct) oil's lack of additives to protect those surfaces.

*Stuck hydraulic lifters are sometimes relieved by doing this

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
An engine can idle on a full load of diesel in the crankcase. It is thick enough to handle idling. I wouldn't risk it while driving, but there was once where i added 1 quart of diesel to my crankcase oil and drove the car for like nearly 20 miles at 50mph with no issues.

Ross your mind is closed and you're an mechanic probably.

Most mechanics are uneducated and have a poor understanding of automotive physics. Their mental discriminative process does not permit them to question assumptions and insert deductive logic into their analysis. They basically don't have an educational baseline. As proof, please note Omarphi's mechanic who says that diesel is bad for the engine but kerosene is ok.

Since mechanics are in a position of powere when compared to owners who know nothing about cars (which is 99% of owners out there), they are allowed to indulge in their nonsense and are validated by fools who nod their head and agree. After some time, bull**** becomes the truth.

Omarphi, flush your crankcase with 1-2 quarts of diesel at every oil change. Pour it in and idle the car for 20 minutes. I've driven the car with diesel in the crankcase with no trouble but i wouldn't advise it. Omarphi, 1 quart of diesel will cost like 6-10 times cheaper than 1 quart of engine flush. And the more flush you use, the cleaner your engine will be.

Furthermore, use 1-2 gallons of diesel in your empty fuel tank, immediately mixed with a full tank of regular gasoline, as an effective fuel injector cleaner. If this is the first time you're doing this, do it for 3 consecutive fillups. Thereafter, do it once every 3 months, or once every oil change to make it easier for you to remember.

Omarphi is is ill advised as usual - diesel in your crankcase or mixed with regular in your fuel tank or both at the same time does no harm to your cats - it gets combusted like everything else in the combustion chamber - whether fully or partially, whatever's left will not screw your cats.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
There you have it. 2 cats on a fussy corvette and there was no trouble.

Basic rule of thumb : add diesel to 25% of your regular oil change volume, to your crankcase, and use as a flush. Cheap and good. You can go up to 50%, I've done that with no problems, but i've come to realise that its not really beneficial as my engine is damn clean anyways.

·
Registered
829 Posts
robertobaggio20 said:
Most mechanics are uneducated and have a poor understanding of automotive physics. Their mental discriminative process does not permit them to question assumptions and insert deductive logic into their analysis. They basically don't have an educational baseline. As proof, please note Omarphi's mechanic who says that diesel is bad for the engine but kerosene is ok.
Yikes! Pretty bold statement there hoss. And by what say ye?:stickpoke

·
SawheadE34
457 Posts
I haven't tried this but I know lots of you have so I haven't experienced it. I have the advantages of having a shop with the correct additive cleaning and their tools to clean the injectors. If you use diesel in large amounts I personally have had a car have the injectors fail because of it. Warranty denied the claim due to user error. 3 of the 6 injectors were stuck open and ruined a cat. As for the crankcase, I tried the atf since I had an old instructor of mine say that it's good to use it because of its high detergents and it mixes with the oil so it helps lubricate as it cleans and is good for oil seals.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Yikes! Pretty bold statement there hoss. And by what say ye?:stickpoke
By the hairs on my chinny chin chin.

lolol

Just kidding. That statement was made as a result of careful observation, extensive interaction and much corroboration of conclusions about mechanics over a total of 3 years of old car ownership. Further proof came from omarphi's mech, who says no to diesel in the crankcase but yes to kerosene, even though kerosene is much thinner than diesel and so provides less lubrication. If he had any common sense at all, he would have stopped to think about that conflict and done further investigations before finalising his opinions.

Pure diesel through the fuel system well i seriously doubt it would cause problems but sawhead please be assured that the FI cleaning method I espouse ensures that gasoline and diesel will mix together pretty well. 2 gallons of diesel followed by 12 gallons of gasoline will cause alot of mixing in the tank. I've had no problems with this over the past 9 months of practice.

If you want to make damn sure they mix, no issues - take a half gallon of diesel in a can, pour another half gallon in, close up the can and shake it about violently for 30 seconds. Then, pour the contents into the fuel tank. You're done.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the replies...i learn so much in this forum...i only done this once: empty tank, one gallon of diesel immediatelly followed up with filling the tank with regular...didnt seem to cause a problem at all.
I have only done this once, so i have not noticed a major change in the car's performance.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
An engine can idle on a full load of diesel in the crankcase. It is thick enough to handle idling. I wouldn't risk it while driving, but there was once where i added 1 quart of diesel to my crankcase oil and drove the car for like nearly 20 miles at 50mph with no issues.

Ross your mind is closed and you're an mechanic probably.

Since mechanics are in a position of powere when compared to owners who know nothing about cars (which is 99% of owners out there), they are allowed to indulge in their nonsense and are validated by fools who nod their head and agree. After some time, bull**** becomes the truth.

Omarphi, flush your crankcase with 1-2 quarts of diesel at every oil change. Pour it in and idle the car for 20 minutes. I've driven the car with diesel in the crankcase with no trouble but i wouldn't advise it. Omarphi, 1 quart of diesel will cost like 6-10 times cheaper than 1 quart of engine flush. And the more flush you use, the cleaner your engine will be.

Furthermore, use 1-2 gallons of diesel in your empty fuel tank, immediately mixed with a full tank of regular gasoline, as an effective fuel injector cleaner. If this is the first time you're doing this, do it for 3 consecutive fillups. Thereafter, do it once every 3 months, or once every oil change to make it easier for you to remember.

Omarphi is is ill advised as usual - diesel in your crankcase or mixed with regular in your fuel tank or both at the same time does no harm to your cats - it gets combusted like everything else in the combustion chamber - whether fully or partially, whatever's left will not screw your cats.
I'm still waiting to hear what YOUR credentials are, Chief.: popcorn:
How about you educate me regarding physics too since you seem to have such a firm grasp of the topic? By the way the science of friction & lubrication is called tribology.
Suit yourself and do whatever you like to your own car, I wouldn't dream of advising the ineducable. My posts were directed at the unknowing who may judge your credibilty by your prodigious post count.
You'd be well served to shut up and be thought a fool than continue your mis-informed pontifications and prove it so. Unbeknowst to you there ARE some knowledable folks here, they just don't blather on as you do.
I don't intend to engage in a battle of wits with you as you are an unarmed opponent.

That is all, carry on(I'm sure you will)

:thumbup:

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear what YOUR credentials are, Chief.: popcorn:
How about you educate me regarding physics too since you seem to have such a firm grasp of the topic? By the way the science of friction & lubrication is called tribology.
Suit yourself and do whatever you like to your own car, I wouldn't dream of advising the ineducable. My posts were directed at the unknowing who may judge your credibilty by your prodigious post count.
You'd be well served to shut up and be thought a fool than continue your mis-informed pontifications and prove it so. Unbeknowst to you there ARE some knowledable folks here, they just don't blather on as you do.
I don't intend to engage in a battle of wits with you as you are an unarmed opponent.

That is all, carry on(I'm sure you will)

:thumbup:
Yes, another disgruntled mechanic who should (in this rare instance) take his own advice, as highlighted above. Nevermind Ross, its never too late to change. The fest will be glad to be part of your cathartic process to exorcise your extreme guilt over the bull**** you've shoveled at the world all these years just to make a living.

If you were truly trying to help, you would state your opinion without undue emotionalism which is pretty much how most people disagree with each other over here. This is further proof of your lack of education. I don't mind contributing $10 to your high school fund to help you get started back on path out of ignorance. You can do it, believe in yourself, I believe in you, touch your heart deep down inside and you will too !! lol

·
Registered
829 Posts
Robert,

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Being able to adequately defend yourself comes with profession; please don't take skepticism personally. I too am interested in your background. It's a formal part of establishing discourse.

My background (so you know where I'm coming from):

3 years A&P Mechanic
8 years Flight Engineer
Mechanical Engineering (senior year)

I'll make suggestions, but refrain from telling people exactly what they should do unless I know absolutely otherwise, especially outside of 535i ownership. What would you do if someone if someone damaged something and tried to hold you accountable for it? It most likely won't happen on an internet forum, but it's something to consider. Please (with little sprinkles on top), don't mistaken a conservative approach as close-mindedness.

-Radian

·
Registered
538 Posts
Allow me if you will to add a bit more info on this subject. It seems there are opposing claims to this procedure so simply read the link below and draw your own conclusions. Ross makes very valid points and if I had to guess, is simply warning others of potential engine damage.
I personally do not advise anyone to perform this on their engines except to say that I've done it as described above with no negative effects. On a couple of occasions, have even torn down my engine(s) in order to modify them and inspected the cam/main bearings. I never found any damage, but again, that was my experience.

There are many manufactures who produce engine flushes with carefully written instructions not to drive the vehicles and I must come to the conclusion that if it caused severe engine damage they would have a liability issue on their hands.
Case in point, years ago, a friend purchased a quart of motor flush "but" drove the car despite the manufacturers warning clearly written on the can. Guess, what? he spun all of his main bearings. How do I know? He tore the engine apart and sure enough, all of his main bearings were shot.

So, in conclusion, the more I read about this the more I lean towards simply changing the oil regularly. Perhaps I've been lucky all these years.
Enjoy the read guys!
http://oldholden.com/node/75818

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Robert,

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Being able to adequately defend yourself comes with profession; please don't take skepticism personally. I too am interested in your background. It's a formal part of establishing discourse.

My background (so you know where I'm coming from):

3 years A&P Mechanic
8 years Flight Engineer
Mechanical Engineering (senior year)

I'll make suggestions, but refrain from telling people exactly what they should do unless I know absolutely otherwise, especially outside of 535i ownership. What would you do if someone if someone damaged something and tried to hold you accountable for it? It most likely won't happen on an internet forum, but it's something to consider. Please (with little sprinkles on top), don't mistaken a conservative approach as close-mindedness.

-Radian
Hi Radian,

Your points are all correct. I'm not surprised that you have a string of degrees. You've proven my point about disagreeing agreeably. Ross would do well to take note of your approach.

I have no certifications worth a damn. Everything I say comes from personal experience, thinking and cross referencing against other sources including those more experienced than myself on these forums. I have frequently bested those who claim to be educated. Depth of thinking is not always described by a paper qualification, as we all know. Btw it was not necessary for you to reveal your credentials. Your credibility is well established on these forums by your prior discourse. :)

If it works on my car and it doesn't work on yours (everything else being practically identical) then that's clear proof that I've got alien technology in my ride or there was something else that's wrong with your car/the way you executed my recommendations. Res ipsa loquitor imo.

(As an aside, the diesel procedure has been used by myself on 2 different bmw engines with no issues - it will work on a 535 without issues.)

I've always welcomed liability. Encourages personal responsibility and keeps the mind sharp. A fear of liability ultimately leads to presidents invading countries on trumped up charges and then getting re-elected even after people realise that they've been had.

Of course, over here, no legal liability applies. This is not license to mislead the unwary of course, but your personal reps are at stake. That's still important to some.

cheers, Roberto

1 - 20 of 31 Posts