BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from a thursday night in NYC. Couldn't resist the urge for one last American beer before taking off for Germany. The Germans and Austrians at work tell me to go for the Dark or Turbid Wheat Beer in Bavaria. The turbid has sh*t floating in it, but tastes great. I'm almost tempted to get the small size biers so I can try as many as possible. I figure the liter sizes will floor me. Actually, I'll use Lufthansa's skybar to get me warmed up.

Guten Abend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sharmabmw said:
Just got home from a thursday night in NYC. Couldn't resist the urge for one last American beer before taking off for Germany. The Germans and Austrians at work tell me to go for the Dark or Turbid Wheat Beer in Bavaria. The turbid has sh*t floating in it, but tastes great. I'm almost tempted to get the small size biers so I can try as many as possible. I figure the liter sizes will floor me. Actually, I'll use Lufthansa's skybar to get me warmed up.

Guten Abend.
The "sh*t" floating in the turbid wheat bear ("Hefeweiz'n") is yeast and is really good for you.
Enjoy your trip and have fun. :)

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
sharmabmw said:
Just got home from a thursday night in NYC. Couldn't resist the urge for one last American beer before..........
You Putz!! :confused: You are suppose to drink Coffee and Coke here!! cause that same coffee or coke will cost you 2X more over there :p But not the beer!! In fact beer is cheaper and much better over there!! That'z why its called "Wise" beer :p

Besides... Amerikan beers SUX!!! ;)

Have a great trip!!

beewang :bigpimp:

·
Registered
668 Posts
sharmabmw said:

Guten Abend.
American beer for the most part is a poisonous chemical substance. I wouldn't even use it to wash my car!

·
2,457 Posts
Wallenrod said:
American beer for the most part is a poisonous chemical substance. I wouldn't even use it to wash my car!
I've been in some local bars in Germany, looked around, and saw a lot of the locals drinking Sam Adams. I thought that was kind of strange. :dunno:

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
sharmabmw said:

Guten Abend.
Sharma....

I live in America's "Capital of Micro Brews".... Portland, Oregon... and although these ARE fresh and tasty.... they do NOT compare with a German Dunkel.... have a couple for me. :drink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
Sharma....

I live in America's "Capital of Micro Brews".... Portland, Oregon... and although these ARE fresh and tasty.... they do NOT compare with a German Dunkel.... have a couple for me. :drink:
O.K., so I can navigate my way through a wine list pretty well, but beer....? What do you recommend to a novice suds drinker? Say, something without the floaties. :thumbdwn: :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Spartacus_33 said:
I live in America's "Capital of Micro Brews".... Portland, Oregon
Hmm, I think Ft. Collins, Colorado, might give Portland a run for its money although Portland is most certainly a larger city. Odells and New Blegium come to mind as the more known micro-brews but there are a few local pubs (Coopersmiths) that come to mind, too....

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
The strangest micro brew that I have ever had was from Western Montana. It was a dark beer called, "Moose Drool." :eek:

Last weekend when I was in Vienna, I went to the Gösser Beer Clinic. We had a plethora of different beverages, and they were all very good. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Coopersmiths made some interesting beers: green chile (yes, it was spicy) but one of my favs from them was a raspberry beer that they only make during the winter holidays.

I know some shun fruit beers but this one was so good....

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
jcrose19337 said:
O.K., so I can navigate my way through a wine list pretty well, but beer....? What do you recommend to a novice suds drinker? Say, something without the floaties. :thumbdwn: :)
Just don't order a Heffeweiz'n. There are hundreds of brands, explore and enjoy. Even some of the cheepest stuff there will still be better than the mainstream crap they serve here in the US. Experiment...Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Desertnate said:
Just don't order a Heffeweiz'n. There are hundreds of brands, explore and enjoy. Even some of the cheepest stuff there will still be better than the mainstream crap they serve here in the US. Experiment...Enjoy! :thumbup:
:stupid:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
LarryN said:
I've been in some local bars in Germany, looked around, and saw a lot of the locals drinking Sam Adams. I thought that was kind of strange. :dunno:
When I was in the UK, Budweiser and MGD was very popular :tsk:

While living there, I even had our very wealthy landlord proudly present me with a glass of Bud when we went over to his house for dinner one night. Apperently it was one of his favorites. :eek:

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
jcrose19337 said:
If you're talking about what to drink while in Germany........ dude.... that depends on your taste. I'm a dark bier drinker and was actually surprised that the darkest German biers (that I found) were the "dunkels".

In the states I usually go for Porters or Stouts..... They usually have a hint of a chocolate flavor and when held up to a light, can't be seen through.

The closest I can come to a dunkel here is Flat Tire ale....... but really there is no comparison. The typical German dunkel has absolutely no after (bitter) after taste.... exceptionally smooth.

While in Munich... go to the Hackerhaus and have a dunkel on me. :drink:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
beewang said:
Ummmmm....Paulaner....:yummy: Their Octoberfest Beer is amazing.

Others that come to mind are Bittburger, Warshiener, Spaten and Hacker-Pschforr (sp?)

I drank others, but I only had them once and their brand names have faded in to memory...fond memories....

·
Registered
668 Posts
jcrose19337 said:
When in Bavaria, just have a Helles. It is kind of like pilsner (I know - kill me for saying it. I KNOW that it is NOTHING like a pilsner) except more malty and with more body. I'm not a huge fan of Dunkels or Hefes but a nice cold Helles at Andechs in Munich on a warm day just looking at the cathedral bathing in the afternoon sun...

Attachments

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
beewang said:
WTH would the a redcoat know 'bout beer?? They like that dark and warm beer and thatz 'nuff said!! :p
Everyone keeps ragging on the Brits about their warm beer, but I only one had a warm beer there...in London :dunno:

I actually found some VERY good stuff there...Carling, John Smiths to name a couple. They also had a really good hard cider, Strongbow, that could be found on tap :D

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Desertnate said:
I actually found some VERY good stuff there...Carling, John Smiths to name a couple. They also had a really good hard cider, Strongbow, that could be found on tap :D
Yep. We drink a lot of cider here, but the stuff that I had in London was excellent. Warm day + thirst = Strongbow over ice. :thumbup:

And all of the lager that I drank there was excellent (and cold).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts