BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a hotel around lake como they have had a good experience with(good views etc).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
YES!! Just got back from The Hotel Olivedo in Varena. An easy drive from Lecco, or a short (15 minute) ferry from Bellagio. You must check this place out. It really is a lovely town and a great place to break in your new BMW!!!

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
Best Western Grand Hotel Imperiale, in Moltrasio. It is a nice property, Western shore of the lake about 1 mile North of the famous Villa d'Este. The ferry docks across the street and you can ride it up to Bellagio, or down the lake to town of Como. The staff couldn't have been nicer, their parking garage was excellent and the price was reasonable.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arnolds ED trip mentions Albergo Lenno to be a nice peaceful place - anyone had a bad experience there? From the website, It looks like a decent place and at 90 euros sounds like a cool deal.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My wife and I stayed at the hotel Albergo Metropole in Bellagio (http://www.albergometropole.com/). It's the only hotel in Bellagio that's actually right on the lake. We had a top floor room with a lake view.

-MrB

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mrbelk - however, the hotel is sold out for the dates that I am looking for (Nov 5 to 6)

mrbelk said:
My wife and I stayed at the hotel Albergo Metropole in Bellagio (http://www.albergometropole.com/). It's the only hotel in Bellagio that's actually right on the lake. We had a top floor room with a lake view.

-MrB

·
Registered
222 Posts
Check out the Hotel Grand Tremezzo. This is an impressive place and is right across the lake from Ballagio. A bit expensive, but worth the $$$ if you are willing to splurge a litte.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I just got back from our ED trip and we stayed at Bellagio for 3 nights. We were at the Hotel Bellagio. We paid 130 Euros per night which included breakfast. There is no parking in Bellagio, you have to park on the street. There are paid parking spots which are outlined in blue on the road and free parking which are outlined in white. I was fortunate to find a spot but that means leaving your new BMW on the street for the duration of your stay.

Our room did not have a lake view, we faced the back alley. It was not a big deal for us as a lake view room was almost 200 Euros and we rather save the money for something else.

Added bonus of the Hotel Bellagio: It has air-conditioning. We were there during a heat wave and we will never take air-conditioning for granted ever again.

The drive from Lecco to Bellagio was extremely stressful. The roads were very narrow and it is a challenge fitting 2 cars at the same time. You are better off taking the ferry from Varena or Menaggio to Bellagio to save some stress. The car ferry ride was only 10 Euros.

Hotel Tremezzo looked like an awesome hotel. We passed by it on a ferry ride and the hotel had a floating pool on the lake.

If you are visiting Bellagio try the Barchetta Restaurant. Food is unbelievable and the waitor speaks fluent english.

If you like, I can post some pictures.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
bmwesq said:
Check out the Hotel Grand Tremezzo. This is an impressive place and is right across the lake from Ballagio. A bit expensive, but worth the $$$ if you are willing to splurge a litte.
I agree. We stayed at the Tremezzo last April for 3 days. It is sweet.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is a view of Bellagio from the Grand Hotel Tremezzo's gardens.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Como Hotel

We stayed at the Hotel Tre Re one month ago. We booked it through Venere.com. It is a small family-run hotel, 2 blocks up from the lake in what the nav system called "a vehicle restricted area." It is a bit hard to find but has free parking, AC, and breakfast included. My wife and I prefer smaller European hotels as opposed to bigger, American-style hotels, and we were very satisfied with our choice. It was about $130.00/night.:thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
bmwesq said:
I also recommend the Tremezzo Palazzo. It was fantastic and is a short boat ride accross the lake from Bellagio. It also has a floating pool on the lake which is very cool. They also have a very cool hydraulic lift system where they park your car. You can check out pictures of the hotel on my blog in the 'Como' photo section.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
snapple_cc said:
The drive from Lecco to Bellagio was extremely stressful. The roads were very narrow and it is a challenge fitting 2 cars at the same time. You are better off taking the ferry from Varena or Menaggio to Bellagio to save some stress. The car ferry ride was only 10 Euros.
Yeah, I'd only want to drive a small rental car around the Italian lakes. Or an M coupe. :)

So what's the best time to visit these lakes? I was there in August 2001 for work.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
I don't know when the best time is... Weather wise- When I was on L. Como in early May of '04 it was cloudy and 50 at night with some am drizzle, then 65 and partly cloudy during the daytime.
In 'Sept. '05 I was in Milan and temps+humidity were mid-high 90's. The next week we were on Lake Lugano (15 miles North) and temps were mid 70's and pretty cloudy.

If you're an auto buff, the Villa d'Este concours (Europe's equiv. of Pebble Beach) happens early summer, I think.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Driving around Lake Como

Dawg90 said:
Yeah, I'd only want to drive a small rental car around the Italian lakes. Or an M coupe. :)

So what's the best time to visit these lakes? I was there in August 2001 for work.
HI, just adding my opinion of driving around Lake Como ( I presume it will be the same of the other northern Italian lakes as well). I drove from Como, up the western shore of the lake, crossed over to the eastern shore by ferry, down to Lecco, up the eastern shore of that penensula that sticks into the lake to Bellagio and down the western shore back to Como. I put 1400 miles on my car in 6 countries and the drive around Lake Como was by far the most stressful of the entire trip. It would have been great if the road was one-way as the curvy road and lake views were fantastic. As a two-way road, however, it was horrendous! Some of it is barely wide enough for 2 cars, much less a on-coming truck. Add to this impatient drivers behind you and the anxiety meter goes up several notches. I had to resist waving the middle finger many times....I did not want to create an international incident. I was in my new Bimmer and since I was not totally familiar with the car yet, I was not quite sure where the right side of the car was so I tended to stay to the left a bit more than I needed. Add to this the continual curves in the road and not being sure who or what was coming around the next bend and I think you can sense my anxiety. The lake is beautiful; drive it at your own risk.:mad:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
More info please...

We are reasonably sophisticated travelers and planning to go to Bavaria, the Italian lakes, and a few places en route in October. We have been to Munich several times and to the major cities in northern Italy at least a couple of times each (some more). I have found a couple of what sound like reasonably nice places on or near Lake Garda, but Lake Como has me stumped. When I look up each of the places recommended here and elsewhere on TripAdvisor and similar sites, the reviews are very mixed, to say the least. Does anyone know either why this is so or have a good theory?
:dunno:

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
the drive around Lake Como was by far the most stressful of the entire trip. It would have been great if the road was one-way as the curvy road and lake views were fantastic. As a two-way road, however, it was horrendous! Some of it is barely wide enough for 2 cars, much less a on-coming truck. The lake is beautiful; drive it at your own risk.:mad:
I had a similar take on driving around Lake Como. Add to this the fact the Via Michelin directions coming off the Autostrada (Right at the border crossing) were entirely impossible due to complete lack of signage (+ multiple necessary turns) and I was one pi$$ed off ED'er. CALL AHEAD AND GET DIRECTIONS TO YOUR HOTEL INCLUDING LANDMARKS! (or get NAV?!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts