Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rookiemistake
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through the Forums to see if anyone else was doing the same.. but BMW enthusiasts like to buy new tools, electronic vacuum pumps etc.

This is a hack for a STIFF Pedal and clean fluid all in about an hour for the cost of fluid and tubing. This is a perfect job anytime you have your wheels off.

Think of a IV unit at the hospital.

Tools needed:
a Golf Tee
a stand alone rack. (I use an old 5' tall floor lamp with an arm at the top)
about 22" of 2x4 wood
12-15 feet of 8-10mm clear vinyl tubing. Let your bleeder screws determine inside diameter of your vinyl tubing. Hardware store purchase.
A clear plastic jar, with a lid about 4" in diameter and 8" in height. (you want a tall, slender profile).
A hook.

Buy 2 liters of fluid. Apparently BMWs require DOT 4. You may need them both

Set up the collection jar;

Run ONE end of the tube tightly through the middle of the lid to feed from the bottom.
Add a hook to the top of the jar. your choice of mounting.
Hang the jar from your rack. Have one coil of vinyl tubing hanging on your rack.
Place the rack outside the drivers door so you can observe.

Attach the OTHER end tightly over the top of the bleeding screw.

Loosen the bleeder screw about 1/2 a turn with an open end wrench.

Get inside the car and pump the brake pedal.

Watch the dirty fluid fill the hanging bottle as you watch the air bubbles diminish. (maybe 2-3 inches of fluid accumulates in the bottle, creating a vacuum and forcing a separation of air from the fluid.

Add new fluid until it's clear going to the bottle (from the Right Rear) Keep an eye on air bubbles. There must be no air bubbles visible, period. IF you pump more than 10 times and you still have air bubbles, the vinyl tubing is probably too loose on the bleeder screw causing a leak.
Keep pumping brake pedal until all air bubbles are gone
Keep adding new fluid to your master cylinder, do not let it run dry.

When the air bubbles stop, HOLD the PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. USE 2x4 to wedge the pedal down, as you move the seat forward to hold THE PEDAL DOWN, all the way to floor. Do this routine for each wheel.

Now tighten the bleeder screw.

Use a golf tee to plug the vinyl tube, while you go to the next wheel. repeat.

Start with RR, then LR, then RF, and finally left front.

PROTIPS, use a broomstick with a hook to pull the vinyl tube to the other side of the car.
RECYCLE YOUR FLUID
DO NOT get fluid on PAINTED surfaces, your hands, your face. Don't spill it. Don't let animals near it.
and Do Not use Fluid that was not freshly opened. Don't leave open brake fluid bottles in your shop. The stuff absorbs moisture.

USE the same sequence if you're replacing the MASTER CYLINDER, replacing lines, calipers etc etc.

You can thank me later.

I do this for all my cars, and have strong brakes... Strong brakes count!

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I searched through the Forums to see if anyone else was doing the same.. but BMW enthusiasts like to buy new tools, electronic vacuum pumps etc.

This is a hack for a STIFF Pedal and clean fluid all in about an hour for the cost of fluid and tubing. This is a perfect job anytime you have your wheels off.

Think of a IV unit at the hospital.

Tools needed:
a Golf Tee
a stand alone rack. (I use an old 5' tall floor lamp with an arm at the top)
about 22" of 2x4 wood
12-15 feet of 8-10mm clear vinyl tubing. Let your bleeder screws determine inside diameter of your vinyl tubing. Hardware store purchase.
A clear plastic jar, with a lid about 4" in diameter and 8" in height. (you want a tall, slender profile).
A hook.

Buy 2 liters of fluid. Apparently BMWs require DOT 4. You may need them both

Set up the collection jar;

Run ONE end of the tube tightly through the middle of the lid to feed from the bottom.
Add a hook to the top of the jar. your choice of mounting.
Hang the jar from your rack. Have one coil of vinyl tubing hanging on your rack.
Place the rack outside the drivers door so you can observe.

Attach the OTHER end tightly over the top of the bleeding screw.

Loosen the bleeder screw about 1/2 a turn with an open end wrench.

Get inside the car and pump the brake pedal.

Watch the dirty fluid fill the hanging bottle as you watch the air bubbles diminish. (maybe 2-3 inches of fluid accumulates in the bottle, creating a vacuum and forcing a separation of air from the fluid.

Add new fluid until it's clear going to the bottle (from the Right Rear) Keep an eye on air bubbles. There must be no air bubbles visible, period. IF you pump more than 10 times and you still have air bubbles, the vinyl tubing is probably too loose on the bleeder screw causing a leak.
Keep pumping brake pedal until all air bubbles are gone
Keep adding new fluid to your master cylinder, do not let it run dry.

When the air bubbles stop, HOLD the PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. USE 2x4 to wedge the pedal down, as you move the seat forward to hold THE PEDAL DOWN, all the way to floor. Do this routine for each wheel.

Now tighten the bleeder screw.

Use a golf tee to plug the vinyl tube, while you go to the next wheel. repeat.

Start with RR, then LR, then RF, and finally left front.

PROTIPS, use a broomstick with a hook to pull the vinyl tube to the other side of the car.
RECYCLE YOUR FLUID
DO NOT get fluid on PAINTED surfaces, your hands, your face. Don't spill it. Don't let animals near it.
and Do Not use Fluid that was not freshly opened. Don't leave open brake fluid bottles in your shop. The stuff absorbs moisture.

USE the same sequence if you're replacing the MASTER CYLINDER, replacing lines, calipers etc etc.

You can thank me later.

I do this for all my cars, and have strong brakes... Strong brakes count!
Thanks for that

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 2 of 2 Posts