Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking yesterday about how cool it would be, indeed, to have a one-touch up/down button for all 4 windows much like the convertibles have. I dunno about anyone else, but when I hop in the car the first thing I do (weather-permitting) is get all 4 windows down with 4 separate switch hits, and then bust open the sunroof. That's 5 switches! (I'm lazy, so what?)

Can someone post a picture of where the button is (I've forgotten) and if anyone has any information on the parts necessary to connect such a switch, that would be awesome too.

I can't imagine it could be anymore complex than that, although I wouldn't be floored if it was some function built into the ECU or some other integrated device somewhere.

Comments? Suggestions? Originally I thought about how I might emulate the button on the key (that remote auto-down feature) and then my intelligent self realized that you'd also need to emulate the key's security system... not exactly easy! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
ditto

yeah i hear ya, i was thinkin of the same thing recently
:dunno: dunno how to do it though, anybody?

·
Registered
590 Posts
webguy330i said:
I was thinking yesterday about how cool it would be, indeed, to have a one-touch up/down button for all 4 windows much like the convertibles have. I dunno about anyone else, but when I hop in the car the first thing I do (weather-permitting) is get all 4 windows down with 4 separate switch hits, and then bust open the sunroof. That's 5 switches! (I'm lazy, so what?)

The first thing I do on a hot day is hold down the "open" button on the keychain to make all four windows and the sunroof open. So you have a one-touch down button already. Unfortunately, once you're in the car there's no one touch up button and there's no way to close all the windows with the fob, unlike Mercedes.

--gary

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

Nat Brown said:
The first thing I do on a hot day is hold down the "open" button on the keychain to make all four windows and the sunroof open. So you have a one-touch down button already.
You sure 'bout that :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I've held down the open button on the remote to my 2002 325i sedan for a loooong time and nothing happens :cry: .

I can open all the windows and moon roof with the key in the lock (turn left and hold for a little while).

Is this a key programming thing that I somehow missed? Perhaps only available on 330's or just coupes? I'd just about kill to have the remote open all the windows :bigpimp:

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

operknockity said:

I've held down the open button on the remote to my 2002 325i sedan for a loooong time and nothing happens :cry: .

I can open all the windows and moon roof with the key in the lock (turn left and hold for a little while).

Is this a key programming thing that I somehow missed? Perhaps only available on 330's or just coupes? I'd just about kill to have the remote open all the windows :bigpimp:
Press unlock once for the driver's door then twice and hold... about 3 seconds and the windows will lower. It works on the 325s:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

operknockity said:

What works for me:

Click unlock once to open drivers door, click unlock again to open all doors, then hold down unlock till all windows and moonroof open.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
webguy330i said:
Comments? Suggestions?
Since all the switches are on the center console you could wire them to all activate at once. The convertible has such a switch so if one had a wiring diagram it should be do-able. For the sunroof you'd have to wire in that switch too which would mean snaking a wire down to the center console.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It's easily done if you know what you're doing. Ron Stygar, a regular on this board in the Z-forum, has done all kinds of similar projects to BMW's. Check out this one for instance: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interior/e36_second_sunroof_switch.html

He actually added a sunroof switch to his center console so that he doesn't have to reach up. If something like this can be done by a shadetree mechanic, I don't see how yours would be that difficult.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Mystikal said:
It's easily done if you know what you're doing. Ron Stygar, a regular on this board in the Z-forum, has done all kinds of similar projects to BMW's. Check out this one for instance: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interior/e36_second_sunroof_switch.html

He actually added a sunroof switch to his center console so that he doesn't have to reach up. If something like this can be done by a shadetree mechanic, I don't see how yours would be that difficult.
Thing is, E46s are FAR more microprocessor and bus based than any E36. Yes, E36s have 'body electronics' systems as well but not nearly as much as E46s. I'm not saying its not possible; just that it's likely tougher on a E46 vs E36 (or earlier)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Kaz said:

Thing is, E46s are FAR more microprocessor and bus based than any E36. Yes, E36s have 'body electronics' systems as well but not nearly as much as E46s. I'm not saying its not possible; just that it's likely tougher on a E46 vs E36 (or earlier)
Probably. But considering that the feature does indeed already exist on another E46 is promising. I'm sure a little tooling around in the Bentley manual could get you somewhere.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

ObD said:

What works for me:

Click unlock once to open drivers door, click unlock again to open all doors, then hold down unlock till all windows and moonroof open.
man while the key button open works for me, i have to be ridiculously close to the car. and it doesnt always work. does anyone know where teh receiver is? i need to point that mess right at the car and be like 2 inches away... )=

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

eugeneDC/TX said:

man while the key button open works for me, i have to be ridiculously close to the car. and it doesnt always work. does anyone know where teh receiver is? i need to point that mess right at the car and be like 2 inches away... )=
One very simple trick is to touch the metal part of the key to your chin while pressing the button. This will give it a good deal more range.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts

eugeneDC/TX said:

Mine works as far as the normal lock/unlock does, that's to say a dozen or so parking spaces (100ft?) on a good day.

The antenna is in the rear glass.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

Kaz said:

Mine works as far as the normal lock/unlock does, that's to say a dozen or so parking spaces (100ft?) on a good day.

The antenna is in the rear glass.
hmm, i'll have to try it again some day. i gave up on it cuz it never worked unless i was up close, which defeated the purpose cuz i'd be outside in the heat trying to get the windows open for longer than it would take me to get in and do it myself. (=

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

ObD said:
Tried this sequence on my way home tonight and I was greated with all the windows and the moonroof open :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:. I was holding the button down on the second press rather than the third. Guess I shoulda watched the video that came with the car :banghead:.

·
5,820 Posts

eugeneDC/TX said:

Ancient chinese trick. Touch the key, metal portion, to your chin, press button. Greatly increases the range. Reason you have to be close may be a saftey feature to verify that you really mean to do the intended action.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: one-touch all windows up/down

johnlew said:

Ancient chinese trick. Touch the key, metal portion, to your chin, press button. Greatly increases the range. Reason you have to be close may be a saftey feature to verify that you really mean to do the intended action.
Makes your fillings tingle also.........(J/K):)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looking in the bentley, it would not be as easy as you might think. The switch is not connected to the window motor. When you lift the switch it sends a GND to the body ECU to lower the window. if you pull all the way up, a second GND signal is sent to the ECU to activate the auto up and down feature. There is a seperate ECU input for each window.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
WRS said:
Looking in the bentley, it would not be as easy as you might think. The switch is not connected to the window motor. When you lift the switch it sends a GND to the body ECU to lower the window. if you pull all the way up, a second GND signal is sent to the ECU to activate the auto up and down feature. There is a seperate ECU input for each window.
Well, I was looking in there too, and you're right, its not that simple. However, if the GMV is the same unit, one would have to figure out which line is the one that gets sent to ground to run the all-windows feature.

The electrical diagram (ELE311-313 I think) don't show the separate convertible switch, so its hard to say if a swap to the convertible's window switches will just work.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well isn't this just a huge mess of information, thanks guys. I guess my aspirations for being the laziest accomodated BMW driver there is will never be realized. Oh well. :D

I like the idea of emulating the 4 window switches with one switch... since the ECU doesn't limit you to rolling up/down one window at a time, I see no reason why you couldn't rig something up to handle that for you. Maybe some center console disection is in order for me one of these weekends... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts