BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I've got duct tape!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine and I have decided it's time for a road trip and have decided to go from San Jose, CA to Denver, CO (with a few specific stops on the way). Problem is, though we both own 325i's, family commitments may necessitate this being a one way trip with a one way flight (at the beginning or end).

Both of us really want to be in a BMW for that week (as opposed to a crummy US rental car). So this is a long shot, but does anyone know of any rental agencies that could help (without being totally ridiculous on price), or any other opportunities to ferry a car either SJ to Denver or vice-versa?

Hey, I know it's a long shot, but I figure I'd feel more dumb if I found out later that there was a missed opportunity...

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Hey! You go by the name macgyver and your catch phase is "got duct tape"..... couldn't you just build one out of that duct tape, some paper clips, tongue depressors and a coke can or two? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Sorry.... couldn't resist).

Unfortunately I do not know off hand of which of the big name rental outfits do BMWs. Short of calling around and checking the yellow pages, you might ask your local dealers if they know of any place that does BMW rentals (but don't mention the one way thing to the dealer). At one point lsdt year I did a Google search for "mini rental" in the LA area and got a few hits, so you might also try that for your area.

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
A long time ago, me and a friend had the same idea. But we just couldn't find any outfit that would rent a BWM at a normal price much less allow a one-way rental (well, I did find one place but they wanted me to pay to fly one of their drivers to the destination and then cover his expenses back :loco: ).

Anyway, good luck in your search!!

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
hmr said:
Drive the BMW and pay a car hauler to get it back? :dunno:

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/services/das-shipping.html
I was going to suggest the opposite -- try to get a gig being a one-way driver for someone who needs to move a Bimmer to Colorado.

Honestly, I would think it near impossible to find what you want to do, commercially, for any price close to what you'd think is reasonable. One-way rentals among the big fleets are expensive, as they all are modelled on having a car inventory at a certain location. And thats just for commonplace Fords, GMs, etc. cars. I'm not surprised to hear the 'pay to fly a driver out to get it' story.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Bart001 said:
I was going to suggest the opposite -- try to get a gig being a one-way driver for someone who needs to move a Bimmer to Colorado.

I think that's your best bet too, but I suspect that you don't get a choice with the driveaway services. You get what they need to have moved.

The drive from Denver to San Jose, with no stops, is only ~18 hours or so (IIRC). And that was when teh speed limits were ~55-65 most of the way (probably 70+ now). So another alternative is to figure an extra day or two into the return trip, and just haul a$$ to get back, taking turns driving.

·
I've got duct tape!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've got a solution. My buddy has freed up some time so he's going to drive my car out there, and then two days later I'm gonna fly out one-way. Then we'll take a 6-7 days to drive back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- k

·
Registered
433 Posts
Budget of Bev Hills is VERY expensive, and I doubt they permit one-ways on their lux's.
When I travel, I rent an X-Type 5.0 from Hertz. Granted, it's not a bimmer, but it's also not a Taurus. About $65/day, and all the Hertz locations handle them, so one-way won't be an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts