BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new 2008 Space Gray 328i for only a week and I do not think I will ever own any other car then a BMW ever again. I do have a few questions if any one can answer them. In the Idrive the voice is a mans voice is their any way to change it to female. Just I feel a bit funny telling a car I love you and it answers back in a mans voice. Also I have noticed if I let go of the seat belt after unbuckling it, it hits the door trim and nicks it any one have any suggestions about keeping it from doing this(besides riding it back with my hand every time)?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have had my new 2008 Space Gray 328i for only a week and I do not think I will ever own any other car then a BMW ever again. I do have a few questions if any one can answer them. In the Idrive the voice is a mans voice is their any way to change it to female. Just I feel a bit funny telling a car I love you and it answers back in a mans voice. Also I have noticed if I let go of the seat belt after unbuckling it, it hits the door trim and nicks it any one have any suggestions about keeping it from doing this(besides riding it back with my hand every time)?

And in my 335i the voice is definitely female. Dare I suggest that the 335i has more 'balls' than the328i,and that consequently BMW provides a voice more appreciated by a macho male??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

And in my 335i the voice is definitely female. Dare I suggest that the 335i has more 'balls' than the328i,and that consequently BMW provides a voice more appreciated by a macho male??
K well thanks for not answering any of my questions.

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts
Don't mind him, although he has a GREAT car, he's worried about an impending fuel pump problem.

·
Lets Go....Mountaineers!!
196 Posts
In my 335xi, the man's voice is for all the voice commands, whereas the woman's voice is for the navigation. I thought that was perfect since it has a woman telling you where to go, just like in real life :) But, I have not found a way, if there is, to turn the man's voice into a female's.

For the seatbelts, I have to ride it back with my hand the whole way so it does not bang up against my aluminum trim and leave a mark. It has become habit for me now, didnt take long.

And I am on the same page as you, BMW's for life.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't mind him, although he has a GREAT car, he's worried about an impending fuel pump problem.

Sheesh, everybody is so darn sensitive. As far as I can tell the female voice is the normal default for the 335i, and I have never found a menu indicating a means of change. And, for the record, I have never had fuel pump problems, and have stopped worrying about same. And, even better, I have the much sought after oil cooler, factory installed. So there.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts
I have had my new 2008 Space Gray 328i for only a week and I do not think I will ever own any other car than a BMW ever again.
Yeah, this is a very common problem encountered after driving a bimmer.

Congrats on the new car! And "hooah!" (yeah, I know that's Army, but I'm not sure what you flyboys say :) )

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts
It's the election. Damn politics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sheesh, everybody is so darn sensitive. As far as I can tell the female voice is the normal default for the 335i, and I have never found a menu indicating a means of change. And, for the record, I have never had fuel pump problems, and have stopped worrying about same. And, even better, I have the much sought after oil cooler, factory installed. So there.
Its cool I am not sensitive I just did not want to spend over $40,000 and if I had gotten the 335i then I could not gotten the nav with Idrive for under that. So I got every thing I wanted for under $40,000. Also 230 hp is plenty to do with what I want or will need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my 335xi, the man's voice is for all the voice commands, whereas the woman's voice is for the navigation. I thought that was perfect since it has a woman telling you where to go, just like in real life :) But, I have not found a way, if there is, to turn the man's voice into a female's.

For the seatbelts, I have to ride it back with my hand the whole way so it does not bang up against my aluminum trim and leave a mark. It has become habit for me now, didnt take long.

And I am on the same page as you, BMW's for life.
Thanks I guess I just need to get use to it.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
No, you cannot change the sat nav voice between male/female. And as for the seat belt buckle hitting the B-pillar......well you will probably just have to guide it a little bit by hand. :dunno:

I don't understand this forum anymore. No one can make a thread or ask a question about the 325i without someone else chiming in about their 335i. This doesn't happen in the X5 or E46 forum. Shame on y'all. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
927 Posts
No, you cannot change the sat nav voice between male/female. And as for the seat belt buckle hitting the B-pillar......well you will probably just have to guide it a little bit by hand. :dunno:

I don't understand this forum anymore. No one can make a thread or ask a question about the 325i without someone else chiming in about their 335i. This doesn't happen in the X5 or E46 forum. Shame on y'all. :thumbdwn:

Indeed, you are right. I think I will tuck my 300 hp tail between my legs, and slink away in shame.
P.S. We have had a 325i, and it actually is pretty darn nice. Getting a 328i vice 335i is a matter of saving about $4000, and getting a couple of more miles per gallon. This is a reasonable tradeoff for many. I will have to listen to responses to my voice commands. I guess that is a male voice after all - never really paid much attention.

·
Banned
176 Posts
haha!! Welcome to the dark side, you are in infected for life! :thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for bringing it up ammomel. My smarty pants 18 yo son heard my car talking to me and wondered the same thing. Then he and my wife got together and decided to name the car Kermit for some strange reason. Its a white car. I think they're on crack. Anyway, now I won't have to dig through the OM trying to find a friendly female voice.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
To answer the OP's question:

Also I have noticed if I let go of the seat belt after unbuckling it, it hits the door trim and nicks it any one have any suggestions about keeping it from doing this(besides riding it back with my hand every time)?
Yes, there is a little plastic bit right below your seat belt buckle...just slide it up higher. Its purpose is to keep the buckle high enough to not hit anything of importance.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts

Indeed, you are right. I think I will tuck my 300 hp tail between my legs, and slink away in shame.
P.S. We have had a 325i, and it actually is pretty darn nice. Getting a 328i vice 335i is a matter of saving about $4000, and getting a couple of more miles per gallon. This is a reasonable tradeoff for many. I will have to listen to responses to my voice commands. I guess that is a male voice after all - never really paid much attention.
Have you been telling your car you love it?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Now I'm worrying about my seatbelt. I don't know if I gently hold on to it while it retracts of if I let it go!!! I hope I don't have "dented" Gray Poplar on the door!! :yikes:

·
Can't control my fingers
15,162 Posts
Thanks for bringing it up ammomel. My smarty pants 18 yo son heard my car talking to me and wondered the same thing. Then he and my wife got together and decided to name the car Kermit for some strange reason. Its a white car. I think they're on crack. Anyway, now I won't have to dig through the OM trying to find a friendly female voice.
My wife thinks it's wierd that I talk to my BMW and it talk's back. She's wondering why I spend so much time in the car.

If it was a woman's voice she would probably be jealous and we would be dealing with some serious issues.

:)

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
There was a funny News episode on Top Gear, where they were trying to explain how to "mate" (pair) one's Bluetooth phone to the car.

"I guess you could have the two......you know......mate. Unless it's having, you know.......it's.........period."

"How would you know if the car is having its......period?" :eek:

"Oh, the sat nav woman would lose its temper for no reason. LEFT I SAID! TURN LEFT!!!!" :rofl:

Skip to 1:25.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
You actually let the seat belt buckle hit the door trim of a BMW and you tell the world about it? What kind of monster are you? I'm sorry. I just can't read any more of this thread. I'm going to be sick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts