BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Well, been thinking about this for a while, thought I would start on this trip.

I'm out of town on business (again) and, like a lot of you all, have to rent a car from Mr. Avis or Mr. Hertz or Mr. National as a part of my job.

Now, I'm sure you all have had experiences similar to mine; I've had big cars, small cars, SUVs, sporty cars etc. etc. and all have left an impression or two along the way. At the same time, I find that when I'm away from home (like tonight) I turn to bimmerfest for entertainment.

So: I thought I would start a record of the rental cars I get, including positive and negative impressions of them, to give me something to do on trips (besides work out at the gym or eat at middle-of-the-road restaurants.

So, with that, I will start shortly...Feel free to add your own experiences. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, to start with what I have at the moment: My rental profile specifies a Group C/D mid-size but this time, I guess they ran out. :p

I am driving (piloting would be more like it) a full size Crown Victoria "Signature". I'm not sure who "signed it" but it's quite a trip down memory lane.

The ride is rather like a sail boat, and it has this odd way of leaping off the line that would startle most grandmothers. Navigating it through parking lots is quite entertaining, at least people give me a lot of room.

Nevertheless, it's nice on the highway and doesn't seem to drift too far into the other lanes.

Needless to say, it will be a real pleasure to get back to my E46 Thursday night. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
27,273 Posts
Ok, to start with what I have at the moment: My rental profile specifies a Group C/D mid-size but this time, I guess they ran out. :p

I am driving (piloting would be more like it) a full size Crown Victoria "Signature". I'm not sure who "signed it" but it's quite a trip down memory lane.

The ride is rather like a sail boat, and it has this odd way of leaping off the line that would startle most grandmothers. Navigating it through parking lots is quite entertaining, at least people give me a lot of room.

Nevertheless, it's nice on the highway and doesn't seem to drift too far into the other lanes.

Needless to say, it will be a real pleasure to get back to my E46 Thursday night. :D
No Sir, you've got a stinkin' Lincoln there :D

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
didn't ford stop production on the crown vic, oh, i don't know, about 15 years ago?

:dunno:

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts

and that's a town car my friend. not a bad driving car for the size and comfort. sure it ain't no BMW but it can hold it's own when you mash the pedal.

i've had...

2010 328i which blew up on me
2010 c300 as a replacement to the 328i and it was equal in drive just more standard options
2011 charger AKA: e320 rebadged and reshelled and remotored. wasn't a bad car at all when I had the rallye edition which i would never do but it had just enough power not to be too disappointed and it wasn't a bad drive at all
2011 Santa Fe... which surprisingly wasn't too bad. sure it blew in the power side but it wasn't thirsty on gas which was nice when driving around in LA
2010 HHR.... WORST.... F*CKING..... CAR....... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Had this thing in Poland for a while courtesy of Avis. Toyota Yaris. 1.4 liters of diesel awesomeness. I'm pretty sure my Honda tractor had more torque in first gear. It literally could not get out of it's own way. Carrying passengers was always a treat, especially uphill. Vespas and the like would routinely pass me and honk. Someone broke a side mirror off when it was parked in Krakow one night. Avis denied my claim even though I sprung for the extra insurance; something about parking in a "non secure" area. Probably could have bought it for what they charged me. "Yaris ... at least it's not a Skoda"

·
smooth like butter
1,541 Posts

After a while driving the crown vic, did you notice: a. people unwilling to pass you, b. folks hiding away the cell phones/booze/radar detectors, c. everyone slowing down around you?

:rofl:

·
It's complicated
1,292 Posts
What's the difference between a rental car and a Humvee?

A rental car will go anywhere!

:rofl:

·
N54
3,427 Posts
2011 charger AKA: e320 rebadged and reshelled and remotored. wasn't a bad car at all when I had the rallye edition which i would never do but it had just enough power not to be too disappointed and it wasn't a bad drive at all
Sorry, a Charger isn't anywhere remotely a rebadged, reshelled and remotored MB E320.

Back on topic, my worst rental cars ever: Chevy Cobalt and Dodge Charger. People complain about Calibers and Sebrings, but they aren't nearly as bad. Also circa ~2008-09 Toyota started dumping stripped-down Corollas on the rental market. Manual locks and windows? :eeps:

Saturn Aura was a decent midsize car, as was the 2009 Hyundai Sonata (I'm guessing the new one is better). Nissan Altima and Sentra also acceptable for their segments. Mazda5 not bad for a 6-person vehicle if you want to avoid full-size minivans and SUVs. Mazda3 good in its segment. Rabbits and Jettas not bad either, but not exactly all that different from the Japanese autos they try so hard to differentiate themselves from ("Das Auto"? Please).

·
The King of Common Sense
2,145 Posts
Regardless of whether I rent for business or pleasure, I rent the cheapest that can get me from point A to point B. Did I made myself clear? OK, I'm renting a minivan in June for two weeks for personal traveling along the Atlantic.

·
Needs more cowbell
4,516 Posts
Had a Ford Edge for a couple days in February, thanks to a bait and switch at the airport Hertz in MN. I've rented from them in the past, and the last time they gave me a free upgrade, andn they implied I'd get one again, but didn't. Regardless, the Ford Edge was a pretty decent 4WD SUV, BUT, the traction control (if it had any) kinda sucked. The ride felt like it was a cat on ice, but maybe that was the oversized all-season tires it has. Amenities were above par. Prior to that, I had a Jeep Compass, and while it was underpowered, had a better 4WD setup and better ride. It felt more carlike than the Edge.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
who buys the rental company's LDW (loss damage waiver). i have to say that i do just because it's simpler to deal with any incidences but it does cost way too much. :tsk:

·
Casey!
17,672 Posts
Back when I was a frequent flier I always rented from Hertz and requested a Maxima. Loved it so much we bought one for Mrs Hockeynut.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
If you decline, your normal driver's insurance covers things, no?
Depends.

Read the fine print on the damage waiver; it doesn't cover everything regardless of what the counter person tells you.

And if you accidentally damage a rental, or as in my case, it was damaged by someone else but while in my posession TAKE PHOTOS and get a police report. And plan to spend a couple extra hours with someone from the rental car company who will physically inspect the car, file reports, fill out forms, etc.

In my case, Avis denied the claim, but my corporate policy kicked in and paid it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.