39 Posts
7/30/2016 - ED at Welt
8/9/2016 - Munich Airport Drop off
9/8/2016 - Port Newark, NJ
9/8/2016 - Cleared Customs
9/12/2016 released from VDC to Carrier
9/13/2016 - Spent the night off I-95 in Maryland
9/14/2016 - Delivered and off loaded in the Port of Baltimore
9/18/2016 - Spent the day behind a HipHop Fish & Chicken off of Route 150 in Baltimore, MD
9/19/2016 @7:18 am- Delivered to Dealer in Rockville, MD
9/19/2016 @3:55pm Picked up at Dealer (kind pissed me off that they didn't wash it or fill it up with gas, but at least she's with me now)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
7/30/2016 - ED at Welt
8/9/2016 - Munich Airport Drop off
9/8/2016 - Port Newark, NJ
9/8/2016 - Cleared Customs
9/12/2016 released from VDC to Carrier
9/13/2016 - Spent the night off I-95 in Maryland
9/14/2016 - Delivered and off loaded in the Port of Baltimore
9/18/2016 - Spent the day behind a HipHop Fish & Chicken off of Route 150 in Baltimore, MD
9/19/2016 @7:18 am- Delivered to Dealer in Rockville, MD
9/19/2016 @3:55pm Picked up at Dealer (kind pissed me off that they didn't wash it or fill it up with gas, but at least she's with me now)
They didn't give you a full tank or clean it? That's poor form. My dealer gave me a full tank and although I was keen to get in the road they pleaded with me to detail it. I caved and they spent 1 1/2 hours going over it - waxed it too and did a really good job IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea it's really dirty from shipping, plus I only had an 1/8th of a tank in the car. They also told me I needed to go take it to a gas station to get a state inspection (something I thought i paid for with the tags a titling).

However, they had time to put a "BMW of Rockville" decal on there, which I promptly placed in the trash. Suffice it to say, I'm never going there again.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yea it's really dirty from shipping, plus I only had an 1/8th of a tank in the car. They also told me I needed to go take it to a gas station to get a state inspection (something I thought i paid for with the tags a titling).

However, they had time to put a "BMW of Rockville" decal on there, which I promptly placed in the trash. Suffice it to say, I'm never going there again.
Since you bought from an out-of-state dealer (Looks like you live in DC), I can understand not being able to get the car inspected. With regard to car prep and gas, that's total BS. I would never use them again, either.

·
just a fool
119 Posts
7/04/2016 Welt ED
7/15/2016 Drop-off at Hamburg
7/24/2016 Left Bremerhaven on Morning Christina
8/18/2016 Docked Port Hueneme (Work order opened for 3 weeks to replace the rear bumper - drove me crazy)
9/17/2016 Trucked to the dealership
9/18/2016 Redelivery

Total 9 weeks and 2 days = 65 days

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Aug. 10 ED Welt
Aug. 16 drop off Munich
Aug. 29 loaded on ship Bremerhaven
Sept. 24 unloaded Oxnard, CA
Sept. 29 cleared customs
Oct. 6 released from VPC
waiting for truck to ship to Oregon...:cry:
52 days and counting...
I know that 52 days seems like a long while but the average Washington State car re-delivery reported by this survey is 58 days. When I was tracking re-delivery of ED cars the average for 19 cars re-delivered in WA was 63 days. So you still have a chance to beat the averages however awful they may be!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Tri. That is definitely a "glass half full" perspective. :)

It's just the waiting that kills me. Especially with the car in my same timezone for almost 2 weeks now. Well, there is also the soon to be third monthly payment for a car I don't yet possess. I'm just whining. Patience was never my forte. LOL.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's just the waiting that kills me. Especially with the car in my same timezone for almost 2 weeks now. Well, there is also the soon to be third monthly payment for a car I don't yet possess. I'm just whining. Patience was never my forte. LOL.
Yes, the wait once it reaches a US port is unbearable. I think it would be easier if you could look your car up online and see that it was in fact moving closer to re-delivery. Something like Fedex and UPS offer when you are waiting delivery of your toothbrush purchased from Amazon. But apparently BMW thinks a $100,000 car deserves the personal touch where we call our CA or BMWNA to see where it is.

I once proposed to BMW that it develop a Fedex/UPS type tracking system. My proposal was passed on to the group that might do something about tracking. This was a few years ago and that was the last I heard from BMW. So once the car arrives in the US it remains in a black hole and it's up to you to find where it is. Not what you would expect of a company that thinks it is a technical leader.So good luck with your tracking. Keep on calling your CA and BMWNA for info.

Strangely I am in a somewhat similar situation right now with a non-ED BMW - except that I just started a month long trip and really do not want my car delivered until I get home. What do you want to bet that the car, which is now in Baltimore, makes it to my dealer in a week or less!

·
Registered
8 Posts
ED Planning Advice - Which Location

Hi Folks

Thanks for the wealth of info on this forum.

I am planning my ED for later this month. My plans are flexible. What drop off location will minimize my transit time?

Thanks
Maury

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Just an FYI: I've updated the first message in this thread with a link to the report from the data being collected here thanks to a suggestion from Trinitony.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I once proposed to BMW that it develop a Fedex/UPS tyoe tracking system. My proposal was passed on to the group that might do something about tracking. This was a few years ago and that was the last I heard from BMW. So once the car arrives in the US it remains in a black hole and it's up to you to find where it is. Not what you would expect of a company that thinks it is a technical leader.So good luck with your tracking. Keep on calling your CA and BMWNA for info.
I'd have low expectations even if they did offer that. For example... my car was unloaded in Port Hueneme on Oct 19. Today, Nov 1, I saw customs release and "delivered" status' on WWL's tracking. I called the BMW Geniuses expecting an update with actual VPC information, but rather they were positive that their system shows the ship JUST arrived and unloaded my car on Oct 26 and it isn't in the VPC yet. So already their information doesn't match up. *sigh*

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you turn tracking on in your Nav before you drop it off in Europe, you can begin tracking it via the app once it hits the us.

I tracked our 435's movement from the ship's docking through the VPC and on the vehicle transport from So Cal to the dealership. It was kinda fun to watch it move around and got excited when I used the satellite view to see it was in the lot where they load the transport.

I knew when it arrived at the dealership before they did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you turn tracking on in your Nav before you drop it off in Europe, you can begin tracking it via the app once it hits the us.

I tracked our 435's movement from the ship's docking through the VPC and on the vehicle transport from So Cal to the dealership. It was kinda fun to watch it move around and got excited when I used the satellite view to see it was in the lot where they load the transport.

I knew when it arrived at the dealership before they did.
I tried that in my F10 535, but it never got cellular connectivity in Europe to even enroll. This tracking ability might be unique to newer platform technology.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried that in my F10 535, but it never got cellular connectivity in Europe to even enroll. This tracking ability might be unique to newer platform technology.
I am not sure about cell reception (via Nav) while in Europe. I just enabled tracking in the NAV set up and then got my log in to the BMW Connected App from my SA after I flew home and was able to start tracking once the car was in US range (started seeing it at the East Coast port) and again once at the So Cal center.

Here are a couple of screen shots of my car when it was at the So Cal delivery center and transport staging area.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 269 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.