BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some creature comforts or automotive technologies that are unique to BMW? doesn't even have to be recent, even something that they invented years ago.

i think these are unique to BMW:
- coupes: the windows that go up that extra 1cm after closing the doors
- actual brake air ducts for the front brakes
- VANOS - who came first? VTEC or VANOS?
- flashlight in the glove box...still have yet to find another car with one built in.
- double locking doors - but i think most german cars have that now. who started it?
- truly vented brake rotors front and rear on a stock sedan. unique? (keeping all comparision in same price range)
- battery in the trunk
- DSC/CBC a first on BMW?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
ChrisTO said:

- VANOS - who came first? VTEC or VANOS?
VTEC and VANOS aren't related at all, but FWIW VTEC has been around since the late 80s in the JDM CRX.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: only on BMW

Kaz said:

VTEC and VANOS aren't related at all, but FWIW VTEC has been around since the late 80s in the JDM CRX.
i think they are totally related in terms of function, execution is a different story. they both alter the camshaft timing in some way. unfortunately i haven't been successful in finding out when bmw released VANOS.(then again i haven't tried looking either :) )

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/tech_index.htm

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Not really, because VTEC, as it was originally developed, varies lift, not timing. Variable timing was added later.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Kaz said:
Not really, because VTEC, as it was originally developed, varies lift, not timing. Variable timing was added later.
so this would appear that Honda's VTEC is superior to that of BMW's VANOS since the VTEC varies lifting and timing while BMW only does the cam phasing. the website i posted explains it quite well.

so any other BMW uniqueness? scratch this one off the list.

but add on
- hydrogen power
- the M3 SMG or did Ferrari beat BMW to this one?

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
ChrisTO said:

so this would appear that Honda's VTEC is superior to that of BMW's VANOS since the VTEC varies lifting and timing while BMW only does the cam phasing. the website i posted explains it quite well.

- the M3 SMG or did Ferrari beat BMW to this one?
With Double VANOS, BMW is the only one producing motors with continuously variable timing on both the intake and exhaust sides. True, the profile of the cam doesn't change with VANOS like it does with VTEC, but currently VTEC only has two stages (though Honda has a three-stage design in the works).

Why is it that nobody is mentioning Valvetronic? Better throttle response even when compared to multiple throttle bodies (assuming the software is worth a crap... ahem!), more power, and better fuel economy all in one. It controls both timing AND lift steplessly, making it superior to VTEC.

IIRC Ferrari had SMG first... could be wrong there though.

--SONET

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I just remembered this little tidbit of BMW propaganda that I came across a while back. Not necessarily exclusive but, according to them, firsts. Whatever the case, there is some interesting stuff there.

Enjoy

--SONET

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
Re: Re: Re: only on BMW

ChrisTO said:

<<snip>>
unfortunately i haven't been successful in finding out when bmw released VANOS.(then again i haven't tried looking either :) )

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/tech_index.htm
BMW introduced VANOS for the '93 model year...

I worked on the M50 engine line for a summer in '92 and sometime in July started seeing a few engines a week come down the line with a paper tag on them saying "VANOS". The response I got back from my meister when I asked what is VANOS, he said "something new" and winked! The tagged engines were early productions units for testing! I also remember reading car magazines that summer saying BMW was introducing VANOS...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I thought the comfort seats in the 7 series was a first and only...It's got these fans that actively blow to ventilate your back as well as liquid chambers that and vary the shape and flow of liquid to maximize comfort during long trips. :dunno:

I don't know about American manufacturers, but I have not seen any other 2 door coupe with powered rear window.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:
I thought the comfort seats in the 7 series was a first and only...It's got these fans that actively blow to ventilate your back as well as liquid chambers that and vary the shape and flow of liquid to maximize comfort during long trips. :dunno:

I don't know about American manufacturers, but I have not seen any other 2 door coupe with powered rear window.
Other cars have fans in the seats (SAAB) but I dunno about the gel chambers.

And don't most minivans have powered quarter windows?

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kaz said:

Other cars have fans in the seats (SAAB) but I dunno about the gel chambers.

And don't most minivans have powered quarter windows?
didn't cadillac have the gel in the seats as well to shift the pressure points on the drivers rear end?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
ChrisTO said:

didn't cadillac have the gel in the seats as well to shift the pressure points on the drivers rear end?
BMW uses a divided chamber system with a hydraulic pump that moves the liquid from one chamber to another to alleviate, over time, the pressure building up on your posterior.

Don't know if Caddy's are that advanced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.